• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

Phase 1 and Phase 2? you are starting out trying to create double work for yourself? Or is this a jobs creation package? You don't work for the government do you? ;)

Dustin, you have proven that you are more than capable of cutting the body and making it look good. From my experience of doing both cut outs are MUCH easier, cheaper, stronger, etc why would you not do them from the begining?

We can talk about tech in this tread right?

Michael
Doesn't make sense does it? :)

The reason why I don't want to dive into the rocker replacement project is because I'm not sure how I want them done just yet. It's not like they're bolt on and you can change them easily. I planned on doing "mini boat sides" on the last Jeep, and would like to do them on this one as well (when the time is right). However, I'm not willing to commit to that type of project on this one yet.

Ideally, I'd like to do rocker replacements up to about the door seal. The doors would get trimmed, and then reinforcements would be ran from the rockers to the "frame" rail through the floor board for maximum clearance.

For now I think traditional sliders will serve their purpose well (keep the four door a four door). Then when it comes time to start designing a cage I concentrate on working rocker replacements into that design as well.

The reason why I don't want to dive into the rocker replacement project is because I'm not sure how I want them done just yet. It's not like they're bolt on and you can change them easily. I planned on doing "mini boat sides" on the last Jeep, and would like to do them on this one as well (when the time is right). However, I'm not willing to commit to that type of project on this one yet.

Ideally, I'd like to do rocker replacements up to about the door seal. The doors would get trimmed, and then reinforcements would be ran from the rockers to the "frame" rail through the floor board for maximum clearance.

For now I think traditional sliders will serve their purpose well (keep the four door a four door). Then when it comes time to start designing a cage I concentrate on working rocker replacements into that design as well.

Now THAT is what I wanted to hear!! Excellent.
I would still argue that you will have less time/money into the mini boatsides than the traditional rock sliders (unless you already have a set). But I totally understand your plan now and agree with it:yelclap: Carry On!

Michael

Are you going to keep the D30/8.25 combo or are you going to build a set of Waggy axles?

This is exactly what I did. Really wasn't that hard, just was time consuming the first time. Came out pretty nice though. http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24198&p=291891#p291891

Just do it Dustin, the first cut is the hardest. ;)

Are you going to keep the D30/8.25 combo or are you going to build a set of Waggy axles?
I plan on running 33's on this Jeep first. The Dirty 30 will be fine up front with a full case locker, and 4.56's. I actually have nothing but good things to say about that axle.

While the 29 spline 8.25 would likely be more than up to the task, I think it's going to get yarded out during Phase1. I'm pretty sure I have myself convinced on building an 8.8. I was never happy with my 44 rear before. Little axle tubes, disc swaps are hit and miss, I bent a few shafts, etc. The 8.8 has proved itself to be a solid axle.
This is exactly what I did. Really wasn't that hard, just was time consuming the first time. Came out pretty nice though. http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24198&p=291891#p291891

Just do it Dustin, the first cut is the hardest. ;)
Jake, honestly I'm looking at building this Jeep along the same lines as yours. I've always been impressed with your fab work (ie. your Christ-like front bumper), and how your Jeep is set up. I may or may not have a few of your write-ups bookmarked...

Soon as this things trail worthy you, Jeff, and I need to do some wheeling. :cheers:

I'm excited to see the project Dustin, I know you'll build a quality rig. Hope it goes smoothly!

...and northwestxj's.
IMG_0035.jpg

Ahh, I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Looking forward to watching your build take shape!

Soon as this things trail worthy you, Jeff, and I need to do some wheeling. :cheers:

IN! :thumbup:

And I second the notion of doing the boatsides sooner rather than later. Jake's rig and mine are quite proportionate and he has made lines with ease that I have struggled on or been denied because of his boatsides.

Dustin your low washer fluid light I think is common, It happens to mine all the time when I start to tilt the Jeep, most of the time it will go out when it sits level for awhile.

I plan on running 33's on this Jeep first.

Are you going to stick with BFG's or defect over to Goodyears with everyone else?

Also the washer fluid lite does some funny fantom flashing on my 99 also. Sometimes I'll smack the fender and it goes right out.

Dave

Think I'll join you in the late model department.

Aww yeah, late model party! The fluid light will turn on if it is below approx 50% and you get on an angle, especially going uphill.

They are coming down in price with the bad economy. I bought mine when the gas was close to $4.25 a gallon. It was traded in on some little gas saver car at the local Tonkin dealer.

Dave

Won't have to purchase this one, finders fee/Christmas gift from my Dad. He's getting a 2008 Diesel Grand.

Won't have to purchase this one, finders fee/Christmas gift from my Dad. He's getting a 2008 Diesel Grand.

Nice!!! Id love to be able to get my hands on either type of rig.

Dustin,
I like you build plan, sounds like a sound platform you have going

There are other tire manufacturers out there besides BFG and Goodyear. ;)

I was really happy with my KM2's, but I'll probably try something different on this one. They will be some type of radial MT.

Pitbull

Back