• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Lab Rat - SFR's R&D Comanche

Not all the prep for TDS has been cosmetic. I ordered up some new Bilstein 5160 shocks for the front to go with the new lift, and had Crown Performance make me some nice green extended brake lines.

108-5181-r.jpg

108-5180-r.jpg

108-5178-r.jpg

I also solved another problem I've been having. I always knew I disliked shiny diamond plate, and ever since I got that tool box I had a legitimate reason. The toolbox lid was acting like a mirror and cooking the crap out of me through the back window on sunny days! Simple solution, use the leftover bedliner to get rid of the shiny.

108-5183-r.jpg

108-5184-r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cal was over this weekend, so for once I had him help me with my car instead of the other way around! We finally got around to installing a full set of SFR Trail Proof Drivetrain mounts. Yeah, I know, the product I sell the most of and it's taken like 7 months to install a set. Old mounts were destroyed too!

108-5188-r.jpg

Looks like we did it just in time as well. When we got to the passenger side one of the 3 engine block mounting bolts had already sheared off. I was definitely working with borrowed time here!

108-5195-r.jpg

108-5196-r.jpg

This looks MUCH better.

108-5193-r.jpg

108-5198-r.jpg

108-5197-r.jpg

Out of curiosity your mounts look a bit different than the others on the market. Is there a reason you chose to bolt the plate straight to the block as opposed to browndog/ironmanfab using "sleeves" welded to their plates the bolts go through?

The stand offs you are referring to are there. The photos are just at an angle where you can't see them.

Out of curiosity your mounts look a bit different than the others on the market. Is there a reason you chose to bolt the plate straight to the block as opposed to browndog/ironmanfab using "sleeves" welded to their plates the bolts go through?

The holes in the block are not all at the same level, it would be physically impossible to bolt a flat plate directly to the block. There are spacers welded to the back of the plates in the appropriate places.

So TDS was last weekend and SFR had a booth set up with 4643 and the Lab Rat on display, as well as a bunch of our products. To make sure the Lab Rat was properly identified I had SignArt Graphix in Vista, CA cut me out some logos. If you're in the San Diego area and need a wrap, signs, stickers, etc. made I highly recommend giving them a try. They were awesome to deal with. We had a great time out there and got to meet a bunch of people. The weather was awesome as well, perfect temps for watching some fireworks.

108-5199-r.jpg

20170303-095918-r.jpg

20170303-152337-r.jpg

20170303-113755-r.jpg

20170304-220228-r.jpg

Just before we went out there I showed the install of a set of our motor mounts and block plates. Here's something I didn't remember to show. I've had a couple people ask me about how you access the motor mount bolt nearest the block on the passenger side, as the gusset in the block plate covers it up from the top. Well here's how you do it. A stubby open end wrench works best, this just happens to be the shortest wrench I had handy. You slide it in from the outside, grab the bolt, then tighten from underneath with a ratchet and extension. The wrench doesn't have room to spin around, so it pretty much holds itself in place.

108-5209-r.jpg

And here it is in the vehicle. Kinda hard to get a clear photo, but you get the idea.

108-5222-r.jpg

Over the weekend we got started on some serious business. XCM came down to help out with the new Gears and lockers. It's really nice having a friend who is good at this stuff. I technically can install gears, but I am NOT a gear installer. I probably could have spent a week of evenings on these things, and Matt knocked them out in less than a day.

We got the Jeep up on the lift and pulled apart the front end, popped the cover and to my surprise oil actually came out! I say surprise because I was lazy when I bolted in the D30 and I never actually checked the fluid level LOL. Oil in it was actually pretty clean too! Matt wasted no time at all getting the new carrier set up with the No-Slip locker and new Motive 4.88 gears.

108-5244-r.jpg

If you were paying attention way back at the start of this you probably saw that I had planned to put an 8.8 in the back of this. I even had an 8.8 sitting in the yard ready to have perches welded on, but then I came across an MJ D44 and decided to go that way instead. IMHO it's a better axle, and it'll bolt right in. Not like welding on perches is a big deal for me, but still.

108-5203-r.jpg

It was missing an axle shaft, but that didn't really bother me since I planned to put alloy shafts in it anyways. There was some evidence of rather explosive shaft failure though, which explains the missing shaft. When we pulled the cover we found several pieces of metal sitting in the bottom, which appear to be pieces of the limited slip clutch system.

108-5204-r.jpg

This might have been an issue for some, but since I'm replacing everything inside it's more amusing than anything. Once Matt had all the guts out of the housing I went to work welding the tubes to the center section and filling in some of the plug welds. D44s don't seem to have as much of an issue spinning tubes as the 8.8 does, but it's just a good idea for any axle, especially when it's out on the stand and the welder is right nearby.

108-5205-r.jpg

Here's the old factory LSD with 3.54 gears next to the new Powertrax Grip Pro with 4.88s. I decided to go with the Grip Pro rather than a full on locker because this truck will see a lot of street use and is not going to be running really hardcore trails. I was also really interested to see how well an all gear, torsen style limited slip would perform off-road. I've never been in love with clutch style LSD's as they always seem to wear out and just not work that well. I'm excited to try this one out though as it promises to have smooth on road performance as well as providing more reliable traction in the dirt as well.

108-5207-r.jpg

Are you keeping the D-44 drum brakes, or converting to disc?

G, I had an Auburn LS in the rear of my 89 and it performed very well in Moab and on Wasatch trails.

Back