• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thatxjguy's 1999 Jeep Cherokee Build 'Hole in the Pocket'

Just got that shackle relocation kit installed this evening:

The kit officially gets rid of my 90º shackle angle and brings them closer to a 45º angle. I could and probably will move the shackle up forward one additional notch for an even closer-to-45º angle, but for now, this will do.

It also added another inch of lift in the back, which could be considered a plus. With my 1-inch front coil spacers, I now have a 7.5-inch lift on my XJ.

The new shackle angle has made the back feel a lot less stiff when hitting pot holes and other nuisances in the road. I would say it is a good improvement.

Nice build man. I got those RC relocation brackets too earlier this week, but you got your's on faster than me. I also ordered the River Raider mount for my new Hi-lift. I am excited to get it all installed. I'm sorry about your buddy's XJ. It was a clean rig like yours. Keep up the great work. Any plans for re-gearing it or adding any lockers/LSD?

Nice build man. I got those RC relocation brackets too earlier this week, but you got your's on faster than me. I also ordered the River Raider mount for my new Hi-lift. I am excited to get it all installed. I'm sorry about your buddy's XJ. It was a clean rig like yours. Keep up the great work. Any plans for re-gearing it or adding any lockers/LSD?

I have plans to do 4:56s this year, along with a new engine from ATK. That'll be most of my budget this year for goodies though unfortunately :(.

So I'm a lot happier now with that shackle angle:

zmfsqh.jpg

And I took more beauty shots for Instagram this weekend while I was bored:

2zzrfi8.jpg

6pypa9.jpg

30lcw9s.jpg

jpda38.jpg

Got a replacement winch yesterday thanks to the Harbor Freight warranty:

ehi5bl.jpg

Also, I ordered a 62mm throttle body and it came in today, so I just took some photos of it and showed the old vs the new and you can see the larger diameter hole all the way through. I just installed this today and will report back on results:

2qajxx5.jpg

154zga1.jpg

2hebrcy.jpg

2hog4z9.jpg

any improvements on the 62mm throttle body?

The new throttle body seems to give the Jeep more low-end kick. It doesn't appear to have negatively affected my fuel economy just yet, but only time will tell.

How do you like the LED pods on the mirrors? I just ordered a set and am thinking about putting them there.

Love them! Great side-of-road view with them there.

This took a crap on me today, completely sealing my back hatch door until I get the time to finagle with it and open it up manually:

i3ugco.jpg

el37dv.jpg

That is a pretty common issue. The usual problem is with the rod the goes to the handle. It slips and runs out of throw to release the latch. I dont know where i saw it but i did see a guy put in a quick release pull cable to the latch. So you dont have to take the panel off to get to it if it fails next time. It was just a cable wire running up to the top of he pannel at the base of the window. Just an idea. Ive had mine fail on me a few times so its on my mod list.

On my way home from the junk yard today (I took the scenic rocky road out of the parking lot instead of the paved road today), an ungodly clunking noise started coming from the back of the Jeep. I couldn't figure out why.

My first thought was, "oh my, I hope the leaf spring shackle relocation kit didn't come loose."

I looked back there, and everything seemed tight. I man-handled the trailer hitch, and I couldn't hear any clunking. It was only when I drove over bumps. It was on the driver side. Then it hit me... check the shock.

Lo' and behold. The bushing came loose:

2gvstbr.jpg

So I just pushed that back in and the infernal clunking is no more! I think it's time for some bar pin eliminators to keep that from happening.

Also, I was at the junk yard for a purpose. I wanted to find either more injectors, or another alternator. I found this 2009 re-manufactured Durango alternator (136-amp) and you bet your sweet Bippie that it's going in my Jeep because it looks damn near brand new and flawless:

sglg08.jpg

Compared to the older Denso one I picked up a couple of months back:

2im5aia.jpg

And then here's everything I'm going to need to install it. Complete with 4 gauge wire, new battery terminal clamps, and a 135-amp circuit breaker:

29vfa6w.jpg

Just got that shackle relocation kit installed this evening:

The kit officially gets rid of my 90º shackle angle and brings them closer to a 45º angle. I could and probably will move the shackle up forward one additional notch for an even closer-to-45º angle, but for now, this will do.

It also added another inch of lift in the back, which could be considered a plus. With my 1-inch front coil spacers, I now have a 7.5-inch lift on my XJ.

The new shackle angle has made the back feel a lot less stiff when hitting pot holes and other nuisances in the road. I would say it is a good improvement.

You can probably plan on cutting off every part of that multi-holed bracket you don't end up using. With a proper shackle angle, I found my shackle would come up and hit that bracket on big hits. I cut off all the holes I wasn't using, and was told this was common practice.

Today, I finally got around to installing the 136-amp Dodge Durango alternator.

Here are some pictures of the bracket grinding that I did:

fkqz6f.jpg

b3ldzo.jpg

It took some trial and error. I kept the ting bolted to the alternator for leverage, but also so that I could grind some, then check the fitment, and then grind some again if it wasn't right.

Eventually, I got it right, but it wasn't until night time that I got it all finished, so I'll have more pictures of the alternator installed another day.

I also put in a 175-amp fuse from the battery to the power distribution center, just to protect it. And because it was a perfect fit:

90t9bd.jpg

In the next few days, I will install the 4 gauge wiring to go with it. That should help the Jeep take better advantage of the higher amperage.

You can probably plan on cutting off every part of that multi-holed bracket you don't end up using. With a proper shackle angle, I found my shackle would come up and hit that bracket on big hits. I cut off all the holes I wasn't using, and was told this was common practice.

Yeah, that might be so for those that are harder on the suspension, but I'm pretty light on it. I was just removing the 90º angle to enjoy more premium comfort in the rear when I hit bumps and to let the spring articulate better. I don't think I'll ever bottom out the shackle.

But thanks though for the advice, and I'll certainly do that if it ever comes down to it.

Back