• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

New plug wires. MSD 8.8mm, surprisingly a lot nicer than the Moroso parts they are replacing.

I have 2 8" heater hoses that basically run to the temp gauge and idiot light, and back again. The hoses were starting to get old and crack, and were the only non silicone hoses on an otherwise nice car, so i replaced them.

IMG_20160507_150131436_zpszdesusci.jpg

hose clamps :doh:

What else would you use?

I have a truck sitting in my bay right now with two zip ties holding the lower radiator hose on. it came in for leaking coolant. It's leaking from the cap/surge tank though :dunno: it will be getting clamps before it rolls out anyways.

I have a truck sitting in my bay right now with two zip ties holding the lower radiator hose on. it came in for leaking coolant. It's leaking from the cap/surge tank though :dunno: it will be getting clamps before it rolls out anyways.

that does sound lighter weight.

maybe it would bring more winning?

I hate spring clamps. Yes there is a tool for them, no I don't have that tool. If you treat the hose clamp as single use (when not on the track, of course) failure is practically not an issue.

Spring clamps are the devil.

If you had suggested these I would have been on board, but no, you went with the things that make me cuss and give factory engineers the finger.

tbolt1.jpg

Spring clamps are the devil.

If you had suggested these I would have been on board, but no, you went with the things that make me cuss and give factory engineers the finger.

tbolt1.jpg

Mmmm. I do like me some band clamp action

I see none of you understand why the spring clamp exists.

Its not a matter of understanding why they exist. Its a matter of understanding their failure mode when being field serviced.

They have no place on a race car.
Or trail rig.
Or expedition rig.
Or margarita machine.

I see none of you understand why the spring clamp exists.

Because it's quicker for the OEM to install at the factory and cut down on assembly time? Obviously if it were a function issue the best clamp would be a band clamp, as seen in after market high boost turbo applications.

Because it's quicker for the OEM to install at the factory and cut down on assembly time? Obviously if it were a function issue the best clamp would be a band clamp, as seen in after market high boost turbo applications.

T-bolt clamps work great.

The ford 6.blow uses them on the charge pipes from the factory.

But for the love of god, don't use normal hose clamps on silicone, they make proper hose clamps for the application that don't cut into the hose when you tighten them down.

416tvey3A1L._SX342_.jpg

Its not a matter of understanding why they exist. Its a matter of understanding their failure mode when being field serviced.

They have no place on a race car.
Or trail rig.
Or expedition rig.
Or margarita machine.

You do know that a lot of real race cars (ones that can exceed 80mph) use spring clamps on the cooling systems. They keep constant tension on the hose, they can't loosen up, you can't over-tighten them. plus it's much faster to grab your snap-on hose clamp pliers, slide the clamp out of the way and pull the hose off instead of looking for a screw driver or a nut driver to unscrew a hose clamp.

For example, here is a viper comp coupe engine bay
https://preview.netcarshow.com/Dodge-Viper_Competition_Coupe-2003-1600-19.jpg

Last edited:
The guy you got the MJ from goes through more Jeeps than a woman does shoes. Haha

Back