• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

or install a rev limiter less than 6grand... :smootch:

and change the gears in the axles to go faster if need be... :gag:

We get best power over 5500 though ;) This engine really loves to pull from 5K to 6500.

... and are you suggesting 5.38's and 33's is less than optimal?

I snapped a few pics during the main:

normal_IMG_5803.JPG

normal_IMG_5751.jpg

normal_IMG_5836.JPG

normal_IMG_5808.JPG

normal_IMG_5802.JPG

normal_IMG_57762.JPG

Low speed, the taurus does 2500-2800, in there. Hi speed, 4500. This as per Gojeep. I am reading another link right now claiming the Taurus measured 2800 on low and 5600 on High using battery power, 6200 on high running off alternator. That's a lot higher than most of the numbers I see other places online, so, grain of salt.
I'll say, though, that people make a lot of power in Volvos (no, really. They do) without overheating, Volvos using the same fans as the Taurus. I'd think the stock AC fan + Taurus fan, like here, would do the job.

So the volvo and taurus appear to be different fans, with the same motor. The volvo assembly bolts into its shroud, where the taurus fan is cast into shroud.

Does anyone have a part number on the volvo fan?

Well, you know my luck with electric fans. You also know what I'm running today. Granted, I'm certainly not as severe as you are doing, but I do run in slightly toasty areas.

My vote (which has no bearing on anything) would be for the stock mechanical fan with as big a clutch as you could squeeze, given the giant radiator you have. I got lucky with my skinny radiator, and can run, barely, the ZJ extreme duty clutch. And of course, the stock late model electric aux fan.

David Bricker / SYR

I second this, especially since an electric fan can stop working so easily in the middle of a race.

Cal here's a good thread on the volvo fan and some numbers. Looks like they probably draw though < 2000 cfm through the radiator
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...taurus-fan-taurus-fan-better-application.html

Food for thought though - ever thought about doing something like this? In theory it sounds like it would work
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRadiatorRestrictor.htm

Don't you need to run a very large heater core, back near the rear of the Jeep, in order to keep the fuel in the fuel cell at a constant temperature? :spin1:

David Bricker / SYR

That sure looks like a crack near the spot where the upper half of the inner C and the trackbar mounting plate meet the axle tube, too. How deep did it go? Did you grind that out and reweld? Or am I seeing things?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a crack in the trackbar mount.

We welded over it to race on. The entire knuckle is getting replaced before the car goes out again.

Sounds good :thumbup:

Would have hated to see it break in half without warning.

Yeah us too. But its a lot of freaking work.

I have to take a bare housing to Currie, the cut the C off and then butt weld a new one on, then we get to write a big check, followed by rebuilding the axle.

Worst Christmas ever. ;)

Now the real nerds will look at this photo and can figure out what I'm up to next...

IMG_20141007_180117363_zpsy7qvuy2p.jpg

I'm wondering if its actually gonna work.

Last edited:
Back