• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

Alloy-USA was looking into it before they got bought out by Omix, nothing ever came of it.

I really don't think there is enough demand to warrant it. There is no problem with 5x4.5 in most situations and jeep has been migrating to 5x5 since the late 90's.

Interestingly, JK's sold to the Israeli military have 5x5.5 unit bearings in them from the factory. I tried many times, there is absolutely no way for us to buy those parts.

Are they manufactured with DOD NSN's?

I have no idea.

Dundy has a path that I might be able to get my hands on a few. Considering it now, but I'm also thinking Ford 1 ton..

Chris, Those rear shock mounts look like RuffStuff..

I need to be subbed to this.

How would a 1 ton axle effect your weight distribution at high speeds and what would you do about the bolt pattern differences? I assume you would be looking at swapping the rear out as well but you know what they say about that...

1 ton's would slow us down in the desert and speed us up in the rocks. Although to be honest, the car weighs enough to keep the 60's under control in the desert, its just looks to be a lot harder to setup for.

At this point I'm pretty indifferent to bolt pattern. I liked 5x5.5 because I had a bunch of vehicles that are 5x5.5, but I've been slowly selling them off, so it really doesnt matter now - except that I have *20* 5x5.5 beadlocks that I don't want to buy over again in 8 lug. ;)

Spent the day changing tires, switching back up to 35's for the desert season.

One of the things every beadlock owner hates to deal with is broken bolts. It happens. It sucks.

Its one of the places that Raceline wheels *really* shines.

IMG_20141103_122823282_zpstgcfiyob.jpg

The bolt threads into a nutsert. Grab a punch and just punch it out.

IMG_20141103_122833732_zps7bozgn6m.jpg

IMG_20141103_122847041_HDR_zpsvjvwhqea.jpg

Once its removed, the threads are relieved and you can just unthread the broken bolt with your fingers.

IMG_20141103_122927863_zps0jeyl7iu.jpg

IMG_20141103_123003692_zpsuvyqhjtq.jpg

Push the nutsert back in the hole and run a new bolt home.

IMG_20141103_123027131_zpswgtag0ko.jpg

If the insert were damaged, Raceline throws a couple of spares in every box, and they are pretty good about just giving you a few if you call and ask for them.

Maybe not super high end tech here, but more exciting than just saying "I changed tires today". ;)

Last edited:
I read on an S10 forum that a 97 Dodge Dana 44 knuckle will bolt onto a Dana 30. The stub, unit bearing & brakes come with. 5x5.5
which isn't 5x5. Hmmm.

meh.

my .02 is that they have done the best one can with the D30 inner C.

I read on an S10 forum that a 97 Dodge Dana 44 knuckle will bolt onto a Dana 30. The stub, unit bearing & brakes come with. 5x5.5
which isn't 5x5. Hmmm.

You should try one of those knuckles and bearings out and report back. Be sure to include pictures..

those bearings are *horrible*.

No. The whole point was to not run dana 44 spindles and stubs, and crappy half ton chevy brakes.

Why would we add those to dana 30 inners?

Thats what I had for the XJ once we converted to JS 3700.

It adds ALOT of $$ ultimately. For 4600 I would do a D60 before convt over to that again. I think the brakes are actually nice. And the 30spline 4340 outer stubs and yukon lockouts are a plus. No loosing unit bearing if stub breaks, was one little perk too. But for 4600, I D K...

I now have this on my TJ, removed from the 3700 and swapping it over. Well about 1/2 on it. In the process of building it.

We don't run unit bearings or dana 30 brakes either, though.

We've got the yukon/warn 5x5.5 hub kit, which has chromoly spindles, and WJ brakes which are way better than the chevy half ton stuff.

And we get crossover steering out of it too.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Since people keep asking me, I figured I'd just throw it up here.

We are *NOT* racing King of the Hammers in 2015. We'll be back on the track for the series races, but both Richard and I have too much going on right now to make KOH happen.

One or both of us will be in Hammertown KOH week volunteering and/or helping our friends race, but thats about all we can commit to. In real numbers, it takes us ~120 man hours to prep 4643 for KOH, and the time just isn't there to do it this year.

KOH 2016 though, it will be on...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
We are *NOT* racing King of the Hammers in 2015. We'll be back on the track for the series races, but both Richard and I have too much going on right now to make KOH happen.

In real numbers, it takes us ~120 man hours to prep 4643 for KOH, and the time just isn't there to do it this year.

KOH 2016 though, it will be on...

Good for you. It's hard to make a call like that, and even harder to go support the race when your burning to be in the mix. Much respect for putting first things first.

John

Sad panda. Oh well, it just means y'all will be that much more rested/prepared for the next one.

Thats what I had for the XJ once we converted to JS 3700.

It adds ALOT of $$ ultimately. For 4600 I would do a D60 before convt over to that again. I think the brakes are actually nice. And the 30spline 4340 outer stubs and yukon lockouts are a plus. No loosing unit bearing if stub breaks, was one little perk too. But for 4600, I D K...

I now have this on my TJ, removed from the 3700 and swapping it over. Well about 1/2 on it. In the process of building it.

So you got rid of the XJ for a TJ?? Are you going to be out at KOH this year? I still have not run those axles you installed gears and lockers for, i got an MJ I'm putting them under now. cheers.

Alrighty. It looks like its time to buy a new muffler. Looks like Banks isn't interested in giving me another one (these things aren't cheap..).

Thoughts on what we should look at? Magnaflow? Flowmaster?

IMG_20150213_073600512_zpsjdqja7ag.jpg

Last edited:
weld a 1/4" plate on the bottom of that one? Then you wont be buying a new one every 2 yrs or sooner. It will be rock proof :)

Back