• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock '97 XJ + RMS + Me = Epic Fail

And don't forget the RTV on the main cap, the two points were the pan gasket touch the block at the main cap and the two where the pan gasket touch the timing cover/block joint.

thanks for the help everyone...just got the pan back on and engine lubricated...much to my surprise, oil did not spew everywhere...I was expecting something like European Vacation, where he hits the guy on the bike and blood just starts gushing everywhere...

One more question though...how can you tell if the seal was bad? There were no rips or tears...

If it was really, REALLY pouring out, I'd expect to have visible damage (tears, scuffing, etc.) Normal wear will be even all the way around though, so it will just look a tiny tiny bit different from the new one, probably not very noticeably.

The new seals have 2 lips instead of the one on the original and they seal much better. Just for the record, I have done a dozen RMS on 4.0 XJ's on many year models and have never had to drop the oil pump/pickup. Just droop the axle out and yank the pan out. I have more diffuculty removing the tranny pan than I do the oil pan due to the cross member (for which I just remove now instead of fighting it)

Glad you got it fixed, i found myself shouting at the computer as I read the thread:smsoap:

well, i have hit a little snag...how do I get the track bar to line back up with the mount? It comes about 1/4 inch short of center hole...spent about an hour trying different maneuvers to no avail...

The new seals have 2 lips instead of the one on the original and they seal much better. Just for the record, I have done a dozen RMS on 4.0 XJ's on many year models and have never had to drop the oil pump/pickup. Just droop the axle out and yank the pan out. I have more diffuculty removing the tranny pan than I do the oil pan due to the cross member (for which I just remove now instead of fighting it)

Glad you got it fixed, i found myself shouting at the computer as I read the thread:smsoap:
I had more trouble getting the @#$%@#$%^#$%&#$&ing transmission dipstick tube out of the pan than I did getting the pan off. It was sitting on my bench (or what passes for one), though...

I believe the easiest way is:
1-raise the jeep to full extension place jack stands under so as front axle is as low as shocks allow.
2-loosen fan shroud so it is free of radiator
2-remove the two forward engine mount bolts and raise the engine about 2 inches.
3- all the wiring and hoses have sufficient slack.
4- the pan will fall out
5- BUT you will need a tapered drift to install the engine mount bolts.
enjoy,
Joe

That would have been so much easier, why didn't i think of that?

Back