• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting and XJ build questions

Yeah I'm going to have to pay someone to put the stiffeners on I wonder how much that's going to run me. Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go with a 3in lift 31s. How much better would it be then just throwing 30s on my BB? I pieced together a complete full 3in lift and it's about $800. That's adding DQs, lcas, and adjustable track bar. Just wanting to know if that's worth doing to gain 2in. Thanks again for the advice. Either I'm building up my B.B. Or just going 3in.

Well what im saying is for the price of a 3in lift I could get rear locker, frame stiffeners, and rock sliders. Then lift later on.

IIRC, when I bought my jeep, it had 31's on stock suspension but soft 8's that had better backspacing than stock alloy wheels. Rubbed a bit on full lock and could have used some bump stopping but that's just because I was messing around in the rock gardens to see how much I 'needed' to go before pulling the trigger.
I heard you don't need new control arms or adjustable track bar for 3" lift so if I were you, I'd put the pucks in, get a set of shackle relocation boxes and an extended shackle that will net you the right height in the rear. You're going to want the boxes anyway for a vastly better ride and it will allow you some adjustment to level out with the front. The shackles were $15 at the jy and I see pucks for free all the time. After you do that, you'll know quick if you need the adjustable track bar.
You left shocks out of your list and you'll need some of those too if you lift. Better than OE shocks either way will make your ride better too.

Right. Yeah I have a wobble now at 2in lift. At the 55mph mark not bad but you can look over and see the passenger seat just shacking like crazy and feel it in my steering wheel. So I figure if I went up any more it would be an issue. Seeing that my wife always asks me why does it ride that way. I tell her it's a jeep lol. It's been aligned and wheels are balanced and all zerks are greased. I need new shocks sometime soon that's why I wanted to lift it bc I'll just get a lift which the shocks. I have Kelly safaris tsrs 29s with 75% tread left on cragars.

not sure where you are in Illinois, but if its worth the drive for ya I have done stiffeners for $300. That's $100 for fronts, $100 for Mids, and $100 for rears. I have a feeling I am a bit of a drive from you though.

That's not from your trackbar length. You have some worn bushings or loose bolts in your steering or suspension. After that gets cleared up, if you have bump steer, then you need to fix your trackbar. If it's the bushings on your axle for your uppers, they need to get replaced regardless of if your lift height.

FYI, if you want to go to Windrock, you really should check out Black Mountain in Harlan, KY. You can have a blast with a stock rig there just running perimeter trails. Lots of great riding and great views.

That's not from your trackbar length. You have some worn bushings or loose bolts in your steering or suspension. After that gets cleared up, if you have bump steer, then you need to fix your trackbar. If it's the bushings on your axle for your uppers, they need to get replaced regardless of if your lift height.

The guy at the alignment shop said something about needing a bushing in the steering box? But didn't know what it was called lol. And thanks I will address this. If I find out what it is

FYI, if you want to go to Windrock, you really should check out Black Mountain in Harlan, KY. You can have a blast with a stock rig there just running perimeter trails. Lots of great riding and great views.

Thanks! I will check it out. And looks like the jeep will be halfway done that is until income tax comes around. My favorite time of the year!

If he knows anything about XJ's it may have been the steering box spacer that goes between the frame rail and the steering box. Lots of vendors have replacements that aren't aluminum and don't crumble.

You are about 4.5 hours or so from me then. If you are up for the drive when the time comes, hit me up. I have helped many of the members or forum users over the years with projects like this. When Vince was around, he was traveling cross country and had a rear axle shit out on him, he stopped by, we swapped in a full replacement axle and sent him on his way. Now granted, I may possibly be selling the farm/house/shop in the future, but I still have a place at the in-laws that is a 6 bay shop we can get things done in. :thumbup:

If he knows anything about XJ's it may have been the steering box spacer that goes between the frame rail and the steering box. Lots of vendors have replacements that aren't aluminum and don't crumble.

Alright now that I thought about it and it's been about 8 months since I had it done. He said a bushing that connects to the gear box? And not many people around here have XJ's. I've seen less then a handful with any mods. It's all lifted trucks here.

You are about 4.5 hours or so from me then. If you are up for the drive when the time comes, hit me up. I have helped many of the members or forum users over the years with projects like this. When Vince was around, he was traveling cross country and had a rear axle shit out on him, he stopped by, we swapped in a full replacement axle and sent him on his way. Now granted, I may possibly be selling the farm/house/shop in the future, but I still have a place at the in-laws that is a 6 bay shop we can get things done in. :thumbup:

I appreciate it and hey I use to drive that far to party at UIC in Chicago (years ago). So I think I could swing it to build on this. I will let you know for sure. Thanks. And if I get my lift done before I'll bring my stock one and the BB if you want to use it. Either way I'm going to start ordering parts when I get my new dd legal

Thanks for the link. I already have that and the steering box brace from them not yet installed them. So seems I need too. I was going to wait until I got more parts. And glad I've been supporting a sponsor not even knowing it.

I have the front tow hook package. Will that keep me from installing the brace or since I have the tow hooks would I need the brace. Pretty sure when I glanced at it it was tied in but could be wrong. Thanks.

Alright so crawled under in at the gym parking (a lot of funny stares) they wouldn't understand. I see what the guy was taliking about. Looks like whatever comes off the pitman arm that bushing is smashed to hell. This possibly the problem?

Back