• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So my jeep doesn't exist...and neither do my axle shafts

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
So finished lifting the 84 wagoneer, Took it to the mechanics last week to replace my ratcheting D30 w/disco CV shafts (which I understand is an anomaly), an alignment, and other minor stuff. So minor stuff was fixed, get a call Monday.
Apparently he can't find replacement shafts for my axle. Car quest and other shops kept sending him either non disco shafts or disco shafts that are 27 splines and a smaller diameter as opposed to the originals (29 spline). So we decide to send out the originals to get rebuilt, at a significant cost compared to buying shafts(65 for a shaft and 110 to rebuild each). So I get a call today, they can't find parts to fix the joint.....
So I call jeep customer service as a last ditch effort, they refer me to three vendors, all of whom insisted that XJs didn't exist before 86 .....:huh:
What the hell do I do ! I'm dead in the water without my daily driver.

110 to rebuild each? to have some POS CV shaft?

Man just go the junkyard and grab some 297/760 shafts and call it done. cheap and easy.

I have never heard of a 29 spline d30. There is a 30 spline aftermarket upgrade but it is thousands of dollars basically. All factory d30s are 27 spline unless you can provide a picture to prove it... I would almost stake my life on it.

Where in CT are you? I have some spare parts and crap, live just over the border in southbridge and will be in stafford and probably some western ct town over the weekend for swapmeets and rallycross, if you are near my route I can drop by and either lend a hand or figure out what's going on.

Is this an 84 wagoneer XJ or an 84 grand wagoneer FSJ? I believe those were a 30 spline front dana 44 but I gotta ask just to make sure.

I'm in new milford. I guarantee you that they are not 27 spline, a 27 spline shaft span freely and didn't even engage the carrier. And if 29 splines don't exist, then me and my mech may have miscounted, but he counted first then I did again.
I would take a photo of the shafts but they're in Danbury being, or attempting to be rebuilt. The part that confused me the most is that I was adamantly assured that my year didn't exist.

It's an 84 XJ wagoneer, NOT a Grand wagoneer. The only thing I have that's different from a fully loaded Cherokee is my grille and emblems.
That being said, it's been a nightmare finding parts. My idler pulley seized and broke my alternator belt 6 months ago, and it was so difficult finding a pulley and belt for my engine that we ended up using a ford pulley and a random dodge belt, because apparently in 86 they switched to serpentines.

Last edited:
Yeah I know - just had to make sure before I went any further.

That is really, really weird. I have never heard of anything except a 27 spline factory or 30 spline aftermarket upgraded d30. Will have to look into this further.

I would almost bet that this Is a case of mistaken identity. Either with the vehicle itself or with the front axle. pics would really help.

Trust me I'm very lost as well. Considering I got the car for 50 bucks I highly, highly , HIGhLy doubt it has RCVs. I will double check the spline count and take a pic to prove I'm not insane haha.
On the very very. Very very minuscule tiny fraction of an iota of a chance that it has RCVs how much are replacement shafts? And do they even make any for disconnect 30s :doh:

331F774D-AB54-4DAD-B98E-7280207A1F69-5088-00000B53DF625AB6_zps6ffb3620.jpg

This is the only pic of the axle I have at the moment.
To prove that it's not a grand waggy...
0417130815a_zpsd97c481e.jpg

1984 XJ Wagoneer
2.5l carter carb
AX5
NP207J
D30/d35

Last edited:
Looks like it has grand cherokee "Canyon" wheels on it, I have those on my XJ too actually.

That sure is a dana 30. I dunno wtf, you've got a unicorn for sure if it's got 29 spline shafts - unless it's just the passenger side that's screwing up, in which case maybe it's a vacuum disconnect confusion?

I have seen plenty of XJs with CV shafts... never on a disco axle.

Well, not one with a disco CV on the right side. People replace the left one with a CV style when they break the 260 joint ears because that is what parts stores have in stock.
The right side disco axle shaft has a 15 count spline to engage with the shift collar.

AFAIK or ever seen, Jeep Dana 30 spider gears are always 27 spline.

All Info's listed under the last pic. 27 spline shafts just spin without engaging the carrier. My mechanic is baffled he said he's never had this issue before. He's been trolling the net and calling parts places for days to no avail. Like I said I even called jeep

207...right. Haven't seen one in years. I've worked on XJ's for a very long time, but haven't worked on the early 80's version in years.
The 231 started in '87 with the 4.0 ...

Wagoneer? Strip the vinyl wood grain? Definitely looks better without it. :thumbup:
If it is a wagoneer, it is definitely an odd one with the 4 banger, 5 speed and np207. The Wagoneer package usually came with the v6, auto (904) and a np228,(only a year later for the np242) which had a AWD option and didn't use the disco axle.
But then, back in the AMC days you could custom order about any combination so my memory may be swiss-cheesy.

27 spline shafts just spin without engaging the carrier.

How is this being confirmed? is the diff cover off?

Or, is someone deducing this by watching the driveshaft when spinning the axle shaft?

Has the right inner axle been removed and the spline counted?

Can you post a closer view of the inside of the passenger knuckle where the CV joint is? It looks like that one is a U joint in your picture, not saying I disbelieve you, I have just literally never seen something set up like this and like digger87 never heard of such a thing being possible.

I checked the parts catalog for your year and found that it is indeed possible however. I've always ignored that page because I never wanted anything to do with the CV shaft versions of anything, and avoid vac disconnect housings when possible, but...

Factory part numbers:
Left CV shaft, 84-86 XJ, w/disconnect: 5300 0227
Right CV shaft, 84-86 XJ, w/disconnect: 5300 0686
Right intermediate shaft, w/disconnect: 8350 0198

Worth noting is that the intermediate shaft is the same part number as the one shown on the ujoint shaft w/disconnect page, so I don't believe spline count and vac disconnect are related. The left shaft is also the same part number with or without the disconnect, both with CV shafts.

However, I can only find the one spider gear set available, part number 8350 0190, which also fits up to a 1990 it seems, so I'm not really sure how it could be a different spline count.

Worst case, I can scare up a set of 27 spline spiders for you, I am pretty sure I have a set sitting on my desk downstairs that I was going to give away. They should just slide into the carrier, at which point you can use standard shafts and seals. Either way I'm very interested in seeing what the hell's up with this axle because it's literally the first time I've ever heard of a 29 spline d30.

e: wait a minute - it seems to freewheel you say. Is the vac disconnect engaged? If it isn't, it'll seem to freewheel from both sides even with the splines slotted into the gear properly.

Is that thing still shaking like crazy or did that simmer down a little bit?

Oh, and if you need them i have two D30 inner axle tube seals (Part # 46470) sitting right next to me.

Back