• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So my jeep doesn't exist...and neither do my axle shafts

Factory part numbers:
Left CV shaft, 84-86 XJ, w/disconnect: 5300 0227
Right CV shaft, 84-86 XJ, w/disconnect: 5300 0686
Right intermediate shaft, w/disconnect: 8350 0198

Nice find!

However, where ever I run that number, the part is discontinued.

Time to swap axles or at least delete the vacuum disconnect. That sucks with the 4 banger though, pushing the entire front driveline all the time.

You should be able to find a used/rebuilt u-joint style, disconnect right side shaft.. that at least would let you retain the disco. Any YJ or XJ up to the 90s will have them.

I think I may have one on my porch, not sure. If so it's a 260 size joint shaft and for a vacuum disconnect and I have absolutely no use for it, so you can have it.

I'll check when I get home.

All Info's under the last pic. So he called me this morning, two if the splines lwere deformed so we accidentally counted 29 instead of 27, so they ARE 27 spline shafts, but they are a significantly larger diameter, so the new shafts spin without engaging the carrier. Hes going to see if a straight non disco shaft will work. Dis they make two different kinds of 27 spline shaft?

My mechanic found that they were discontinued as well. Jeep referred me to the last suppliers to whom they sold those parts to but they all insist my year if Cherokee doesn't exist so no luck there. I will tell him to take off the diff cover to double check

e: wait a minute - it seems to freewheel you say. Is the vac disconnect engaged? If it isn't, it'll seem to freewheel from both sides even with the splines slotted into the gear properly.
With the old ruined shafts the carrier spins the driveshaft, it's definetly a different size. You can hear the splines grinding against the slots with a 'normal' 27 spline.

it doesnt take much to pop the carrier. Id pull it and see whats up if you havent already. Pretty much every dana 30 has been 27 spline inners, My old cj5 d30 was 27 spline. I actually at one point ran a cj5 LS carrier in my XJ front end so I know the CJ 30s are not bigger in diameter. pics of the pass side shafts and carrier, and shafts in the carrier would help a ton man.

Unfortunately I'm working in the city but I will take pics tomorrow morning.
We're seriously contemplating an axle swap at this point, it's been on a lift dead in the water for over a week

In CA here we usually can get HP30s non disco for free or under 50$ in our local chapter. I highly recommend posting in your local chapter for a free d30 or cheap one, non disco. your life will be easy and done.

No need for an axle swap, at most you need a spider gear swap or a carrier and spider gear swap. I have at least one set of spider gears around that you can have for free, I just have to find the damn things.

Swapping the spiders out should be like a 20 minute job including RTVing the cover back on and filling it back up.

So is it just swapping the spiders or do you need a carrier as well? If its cheap enough I might just get new if its available? Lol and spare you the trouble. I'm going to the car tomorrow

I think it is just the spiders. There are different part numbers for 90 down and 91 up axles but I have never heard of someone having an issue with putting a lunchbox locker in either, so I suspect they are compatible.

Either way they are doing me absolutely no good sitting around and I can get another set for free to pocket change anytime I need them, so they are yours if I manage to get out there. Same goes for the axleshaft(s), they have been sitting here since I swapped a set of 760 nondisco shafts into a buddy's YJ and are entirely useless to me.

Ok so the shafts are literally less then one tenth of an inch larger then the 'normal' ones. We're gonna try to swap the joints from the new shafts to old and if that doesn't work I'm gettin spider gears

.1 inch total diameter? So .05 inch all the way around? There's no way the shafts just spin in the carrier if they're 50 thousandths off in circumference. There has to be some engagement.

Did you guys get the cover off and take a look around or are you still shooting from the hip?

I'll be at the swapmeet in stafford tomorrow, not sure how long for, I'll sling the axleshafts in the back of the jeep in a second.

Other than that I'm usually home from work around 8pm.

edit: that is really odd, it almost sounds like the shafts may be badly made.

because apparently in 86 they switched to serpentines.

The 231 started in '87 with the 4.0

'86 was still the 2.8 w/ v-belts, and Buster is equipped with a factory 231J

I feel your pain, apparently Parts suppliers assume the 4.0 was the only 6 installed in these things, cause I kept getting the wrong radiator after I hit a deer. Luckily it was easy to see that the 2.5 and 2.8 shared radiators. Pilot bearings are a different story. I end up ordering most of my engine parts for an '85 S10 Blazer/Pick-up. so far the only things that don't cross over are the EGR valve and air filter assembly, (which means nothing to you with a 2.5 lol)

P.S. Im with everyone else. Just swap to the U-joint style half shafts. I did when I swapped the '84 axle housing into Buster.

Crisis averted gentlemen, thank you so much for your help.:roll:
We managed to swap the outer shaft/cv joint from the new, unusable shafts to the old ones (for some reason the outer splines of the shafts are identical but not the inner). When I finally get the rig back I will post its newfound glory :p

Glad to hear it!

I am still rather confused but at least it's back together and working.

Trust me no one knew wtf was going on with those shafts, they don't exist but they just are.
I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later, CVs don't last forever, and next time I'll probably do the spider gear swap.

I'm fairly certain that new shaft was to blame for not fitting.

Your spider gears were fine. If anything I'd swap to u-joint style shafts and get rid of those CV shafts.

Back