• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So my jeep doesn't exist...and neither do my axle shafts

I PROMISE you no shaft we could find would fit, they were all too small.we checked with the diff cover off and they were just grinding against the slots for a larger daimeter shaft. We were at a complete loss. The day we actually measured with a micro we found that the outer splines were the same, hence the joint swap to the old axles. I will look into it further should it ever break again, and it will, so this is to be continued.

we should get together I too seem to have a bit of a unicorn. I have what appears to be a 249 transfer case that has full functioning 2wd, 4wd part time, 4wd full time, and 4wd low.

That's just an NP242, it's common in XJs but not as common as the NP231.

The 249 was only used in ZJs and/or WJs as far as I know.

I believe the 249 uses a viscous coupling where the 242 uses an open differential. This is only for full time 4wd. All other settings should be the same.

I believe the 249 uses a viscous coupling where the 242 uses an open differential. This is only for full time 4wd. All other settings should be the same.
The 249 is a AWD tcase with only 4hi and 4lo no 2wd, or 4w part time options.

The OP must have some kind of Franken-case where they bolted the rear half of a 249 to a 242... I didn't even know that's possible.

Back