• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkle be gone!

Pre-cat o2 sensor is to aid in rich/lean monitoring, post-cat is mainly to monitor catalytic efficiency.

I really like this, was wondering how wide the space is inside the fender. Any thoughts on putting a box around inside of the vent and running the air hose straight to it?

I really like this, was wondering how wide the space is inside the fender. Any thoughts on putting a box around inside of the vent and running the air hose straight to it?

Yup - I have a plan..... when I replace the banged up fender I'll do it. :thumbup:

Ok, so Hypoid told me about a guy parting out an old Citation X-11 and snagged the cowl hood for me...... figured since these are a fiberglass hood, I could cut the cowl out and put in onto an XJ hood.

100_1092.jpg

Got the cowl cut out and separated the under-structure from it - not much different from the generic cowl scoop you see on the market. Fiberglass is pretty thin, but sturdy enough.

Initially I thought I'd be putting this on the Eliminator MJ but this cowl isn't very tall..... I'm thinking I might just remove my LaBaron vents and put this on the BOR rig...... just gotta figure out how to finish the front of the scoop. Not sure I want it running to the front edge of the hood, but not sure how to trim it to make it look ok. It's gotta have a length of flat at the front to cover the hood's indented body channel down the center of the hood. So, these pics are of just the rough cut cowl. The plan would be to take a bit more of the flat edge off the sides and possibly contour the front of it a bit more. If I put it on the BOR rig, it'll be painted semi-flat black..... Then I gotta figure out how to attach it. Considering body panel glue, or several stainless pan head screws which would kinda match the flares/vents theme it's got going already....... :dunno:

100_1219.jpg

100_1216.jpg

100_1214.jpg

100_1217.jpg

100_1215.jpg

Comments? Ideas?

on mine i just used stainless self tapping screws every 3 inches or so. works great!
ill take a pic of cowl to give you an idea for the front.

Last edited:
SEM Glue will work fine. If you need the gun applicator, give me a call.

That's nice looking Troy.

what about a gradual taper in on both sides. narrowing it by maybe 2" per side. just enough to prevent it from being blocky but not too much to look cheesy???

Cut the hood some more, mount it from the bottom, like a faux shaker. :D

Cut the hood some more, mount it from the bottom, like a faux shaker. :D

Interesting idea....... but it'd require more painting and attention to detail than I'm willing to put into it. I'll buy a $400 metal cowl hood before I go to those lengths..... :thumbup:

I did trim/contour the front part of the cowl which keeps it covering the hood indention but makes it a bit more visually attractive. Bought some stainless shouldered trim screws to mount it with...... if I like it. Gonna paint it satin black here in a bit and see what it looks like.

Done. Not my favorite, but I kinda dig is and it only cost $25 in materials to do. Someday I'll order the steel cowl hood but for now this will do the trick and I won't be soaking my TPS anymore. :thumbup:

Oh, and yeah, the LeBaron vents have been sold already.

100_1225.jpg

100_1223.jpg

100_1224.jpg

100_1222.jpg

Done. Not my favorite, but I kinda dig is and it only cost $25 in materials to do. Someday I'll order the steel cowl hood but for now this will do the trick and I won't be soaking my TPS anymore. :thumbup:

Oh, and yeah, the LeBaron vents have been sold already.
You crack me up! You probably have a stack of hoods that you can cut for practice, and paint satin black.

Instead, you cut the one that color matches for, "not my favorite."

Back