• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkle be gone!

For a little perspective.........

It's not often you can take a before & after shot in the same photo! :D Figured I'd do some side by side since I have this identical color stocker here.

100_0157.jpg

100_0147.jpg

100_0152.jpg

100_0156.jpg

100_0154.jpg

100_0155.jpg

100_0159.jpg

Heh heh..... just noticed the plate on the stocker. "TNY" - tiny.... :D

So what are the specs on that jeep now troy?

It's a stock '99 Sport..........

Oh, the lifted one? :D

Good lord....... that's gonna be a long list.....

I'll post up later. Dinner's waiting! :thumbup:

Hey Troy!

Dropped in to check her out..

I like what youve done.. makes me proud, I know i sold her to the right guy!

Ahh still stings to see the Jeep though..
[Of course here I am on the forum again too LOL]

Laters!

-Aaron

Good to see you pop in every once in a while Aaron! Maybe you can help me out with this list - lemme know if I got any of it wrong...... :D

So what are the specs on that jeep now troy?

'97 SE 4.0/Auto/231

-Initially had a 3.5" RE Super Flex kit with RE drop brackets, Heavy Duty Track Bar & Bracket, ACOS and 2" shackles
-Now has 6" BIGoffroad rear leaf packs, 1" shackles and the ACOS turned up to level it out (not recommended and will be changed to 5.5" RE coils soon)
-RE sway bar discos
-35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's on 15x8 Street Lock wheels with 3" back spacing and matching spare.
-Rear D44 with 4:88's, Aussie locker, custom truss by Josh at Crawler Tech, TeraFlex disc brake kit and Superior alloy axle shafts.
-Front D30, 4:88's open and drilled/vented rotors.
-Currie Correct-link steering
-Advance Adaptors SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft
-TNT/Treks steering box reinforcement and M.O.R.E. steering brace
-Cat back exhaust system (custom with MagnaFlow muffler)
-Aftermarket exhaust header (APN?)
-Custom cold air intake (my design, utilizing the hole left behind by the snorkle) drawing air from a boat/marine aftermarket vent on the fender.
-Aftermarket aluminum valve cover and billet filler cap
-Battery Cables by 5-90
-Custom hood lifts (gas charged hatch-style cylinders)
-LeBaron hood vents
-Expanded steel (stainless) grille accents
-H4 headlights with BIGoffroad wiring harness
-Warn Rock Crawler front bumper
-Hella lights
-Smittybilt XRC8 winch with synthetic rope and billet hawse fairlead
-Bushwhacker fender flares
-AJ's rock rails welded to frame stiffeners installed by Josh at Crawler Tech
-Trail Tuff (old school!) rear bumper and tire carrier.
-Tomken gas skid
-Full window tint
-One helluva sound system (2 tweets, 4 5.5" mids, and a 12" sub and 2 amps)
-Prestige auto alarm with engine start/warm up.
-Realistic 40ch CB
-Pilar pod with Auto Meter oil pressure/trans temp gauges
-Custom rack system in the rear cargo area
-Upgraded stock buckets to a nice pair of "Classic" buckets
-Husky mud mat floor liners.

To be added soon:

-Rock Hard 4x4 cage with all options
-Custom DOM/Heim steering links
-WJ right and left high steer knuckles/spacers/calipers
-TNT/Treks D30 truss
-JKS Over Axle Bracket
-Custom track bar
-Custom LCA bracket skids
-Apalachian Armor t-case skid
-SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers
-Rock lights

Future additions (funds permitting..... :D)

-Tera Low 4:1 kit with 2-low
-D44 Powertrax no-slip locker
-Selectable D30 locker
-Quieter exhaust that exits through the right rear lower quarter and armored.
-Custom roof sliders with integrated light mounts.

Wheew! :D

Last edited:
OOO the additions will be sweeeet! always wanted to do pretty much all of what you list there.

OK so the only things that sticks out is its an AUSSIE locker in the rear.
The sliders are AJ's and Josh welded them to the unibody stiffeners i /he added.

the steering box reenforcement is TNT [Now Treks for those who dont know LOL] also has the M.O.R.E. Steering brace as well.

Love to see pics of her out! post a link so i dont have to dig too hard LOL..

thanks!

Love to see pics of her out! post a link so i dont have to dig too hard LOL..

Well....... :sad1:....... I've only had her out on 2 runs - Eagle Rock and Jenny Creek...... nothing real challenging.

Since adding the extra lift, she needs ALOT of front end work - Currie steering is junk, 3.5" coils are too small, caster needs adjusted, custom steering needs built, axle needs trussed/OAB'd, track bar needs modified..... just a few small things....... :looney:

Oh i bet.. your just the guy to get it done.

Yeah i agree on the Currie its better then stock but thats about it. Lots of binding when you get to the higher lift levels etc. Totally dig the high speed low drag no snorkle mod.

Anyways im really looking forward to the continued build your doing.

ALSO make sure you contact me first if EVER you consider selling..

seriously man off roading in my opinion is not about looks, its about performance last time i checked, dont mean to be an ass but when you hydrolock your engine because you wanted to look cool i dont really think i will be worth the 5 to 1000 dollars for a new engine or rebuild and the man hours of labor, not a smart move in my opinion

Depends on the runs you do and the time of year as well.. In Alaska i would certaily have a snorkle..

seriously man off roading in my opinion is not about looks, its about performance last time i checked, dont mean to be an ass but when you hydrolock your engine because you wanted to look cool i dont really think i will be worth the 5 to 1000 dollars for a new engine or rebuild and the man hours of labor, not a smart move in my opinion

Makes sense, But here in colorado, not to much as for Deep water that we Need to cross.

plus, isn't that still higher then stock?

WTF are you talking about?

The fender vent vs. snorkle?

The throttle response I gained from removing that damn elephant trunk on the fender FAR surpasses the uber-rare occasion that water might get into the engine.

Snorkles are for mud boggers and outback survivalists that cross deep rivers. I have NO need for that tree branch grabbing overpriced piece of plastic on my rock crawler.

IM000789.jpg

Sure, I could have used the snorkle at this ONE instance...... but it was my own stupidity that caused me to suck water...... shouldn't go bashing through a stream at 20 mph (I had water gushing out of the hood vents..... :shhh:) and then give it wide open throttle once it's in the deep end trying to get out...... ya dig?

And yeah, the new location of my air intake is easily 8" higher than the air intake through the stock air box (which is behind the left headlight) so technically, I can still hit fairly deep water and not worry much. The bottom of the stock air box has been drilled to allow for drainage should water get in. I'd have to fill up the air box before it'd get drawn into the intake.

I'm not skeered! :thumbup:

Last edited:

If I can't look cool while wheeling whats the point?

Spidertrax spacers......... :thumbup:

Before:

B4spacers00001.jpg

After:

Afterspacers00004.jpg

B4spacers00003.jpg
Afterspacers00006.jpg

Not greatly noticeable overall ...... you can kinda see the difference by looking at the axle/inner "C" - more visible after the spacer.

Last edited:
Yup.

First thing, dude, I am in total envy of your living in AK. Some day I'll get there.

Second, you don't know that Troy probably has two or three spare engines laying around, and can do a swap in about 14 hours.:laugh3:

Jeep On!

First thing, dude, I am in total envy of your living in AK. Some day I'll get there.

Second, you don't know that Troy probably has two or three spare engines laying around, and can do a swap in about 14 hours.:laugh3:

Jeep On!

X2! Troy helped me with my swap and it was about 14 hours.:repair:

Back