• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Pop-up camper

Yeah, what he said ^ :)

I would convert it over to a round 7 pin, itll be better for when you hook up the brakes and charging wire for the batteries. It also allows another auxiliary wire for what ever.

Yessir, that's the plan.

Lights, brakes, charging and a disco ball on the tongue. Schweet!

I stopped in to Lowes last night and found the stuff I'll use to replace the roof. It's basically 1/8th" thick water-resistant paneling for hanging around a bath tub.

It's thin, flexy enough but rigid enough to stay put. I'll glue it to the roof in sections above roof braces and staple around the perimeter. I hope to do that by this weekend...

I patched the hole in the canvas last night... whew who. Makin huge progress... Right.

Last edited:
if you need a little extra height, you could always add some wooden bumps, like the PO of my trailer:
IMG_0747.jpg

not a pop up, but heres mine:
IMG_0735.jpg

How did I miss this!? LOL!

Ok, started my own thread, sorry for taking yours OT

No problem. If it's a camper it's on topic.

Andy, what did you use for the canvas patch?

I have no idea what brand it was but my Grandpa disappeared and came back 10 minutes later with two canvas patch kits.

The consisted of a needle and thread, 3 different shades of canvas and piece of screen and a tube of cement.

You stitch the hole best you can, smear the cement on the patch and the canvas around the hole, press firmly and allow to dry for 2 hours.

I need to make myself a to do list.

To Do:

Repair kinked gas line that used to go to the fridge.
Add Propane tank for stove and grill.
Add battery for coolness factor.
Wire electric brakes and charge wire from Jeep to camper. (7 pin connector)
Cut the memory foam mattress to the correct size.
Check spare tire pressure.
Repair the ceiling.
Clean the air conditioner.
Figure out how to make the hitch quiet. ***
Pack all my Junk in it.
Go Camping.

WANT to do:
Axle swap.
Air bags or leaf springs. (Most likely bags since they'll be much easier to work around the step.)
Fit 31's with no more lift than absolutely needed.
Dual AGM batteries. Big ones.
12 volt outlets.
Rack on top for the Kayaks.
Reese hitch in the back with a raised platform. (More storage)

***The only time the hitch rattles is when the tongue weight is really light. When I do the axle swap I'll have to move the axle back about 6inches to avoid the step. That'll give me more tongue weight and the hitch should be a lot more quiet. In the meantime, what can I do to make the hitch a better fit? Are receivers and hitches different sizes? I'd guess there's an 1/8 of an inch all the way around the hitch inside the receiver.

Tada.

It might be an 1-7/8" hitch instead of 2"? You start putting propane tanks and batteris up on the tongue, and you will have plenty of weight. I have two each on the front of mine (with 2 BIG group 32 batts), and its around 210 pounds of tongue weight. It should be around 10% of the trailers weight to have it properly balanced. My trailed is around 2,300# loaded. Yours should be lighter.

Also, many hitches have a threaded bolt on the clamping section of the hitch, you have to access it from the bottom side of the hitch. I may just need to be tightened.

Well it irritates me! I need to make the hitch a tighter fit inside the receiver...

Damn unibody makes it loud as hell.

as it sits right now I can lift the tongue of the camper (Closed up) off the ground with two fingers. My 7 year old daughter could lift it with one hand. :)

Thats not good....

Put some weight on that thing.

As a side note, I was messing with my camper, and I have group 31 batteries, not sure where I got group 32 from.

I know I've seen some devices to quiet the hitch/reciever noise, check out JC whitney. Its usally some combo of a poly bushing and a tapered bolt. Might be just the ticket.

Are you guys using Weight distributing hitches/ sway control? Its not so much that the weight requires it, but a lifted XJ is far from an ideal tow vehicle.

I use a regular hitch on both of my tow rigs, a relatively stock XJ, and a not so stock XJ. Just got to remember which one im driving while im driving it. :D

I got one section of the new ceiling up tonight. I used adhesive in the center and staples around the edge. Maybe it'll stay this time. I hate the crappy foam stuff.

Back