• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeving the frame rails

Here's what I did:
underneathrear.jpg

The angle goes all the way back to the rear leaf shackle box. From there, I added a "T" that ties into the rear crossmember.

My gas tank skid mounts in front of the tank using the existing bolts that hold up the tank, and behind the the tank it's attached to that rear crossmember with self tappers that also thread into my old rear bumper. I won't be reuseing the holes for the factory style gas tank skid/reciever hitch.

Wow, that is massivley cool!

What all are the plans for this rig?

hjeepxj said:
Wow, that is massivley cool!

What all are the plans for this rig?
I bought it to replace this XJ:
rio_bravo.jpg

It was completely falling apart (the body) from years of abuse. I stripped all the parts off the white one and took the body to the scrapyard. The unibody is being reinforced and a cage installed on the blue one. Pretty much the entire drivetrain from the white one is going into the blue one, except for a Dana 44 that I picked up a couple months ago.

I will then beat the living snot out of it, just like the white one :)

Rick

Rick XTRM XJ said:
I will then beat the living snot out of it, just like the white one :)

Rick

Can we run into it and drive on it like the old white one also?

Please!!!!!??????

:D

hinkley

FarmerMatt said:
Hell, I don't care about that part. I just want to throw rocks at it. What's the verdict Rick?

Matt
Uhhh.....NO! I like to be able to see out my windshield, thank you very much.

Joe's new rig is white, and it's a POS, like my other one. You can throw rocks at it and park on it if you'd like. In fact, I'll encourage it.

Remind me why it is I like wheelin' with you WCGIC guys........I can't figure it out.

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Joe's new rig is white, and it's a POS, like my other one. You can throw rocks at it and park on it if you'd like. In fact, I'll encourage it.

Man Rick that is way cool of you to give us permission to trash on Joe's rig. We know how good friends you are so if you say it is OK then it must be. Farmer, I don't know about you but I can't wait to wheel with Driveway Joe again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

xj92 said:
-I'm debating what to do with the front section that widens. Has anybody just beat it back and hammered the box tubing up and over it or just cut it off? I've read of people modifying their sleeve to accomodate it, but it seems to me you'd lose as much structure on your sleeve then as you yould gain by leaving that wider section of the frame as is. Comments? Suggestions?

Ok, where the Stock LCA was, you now cut it off, and it is the wider section of frame. It has a pinch seam on the inside of the frame rail that is structural. I just cut a piece of my box tube I had into a piece of angle and welded it on this section. Then I had about a 12in long piece of box tube type sleveing where the UCA Is. Then the rest forward was all angle type bracing due to the steering box, Factory track bar bracket, alternator, and stuff like that.
I like the fact that I did box in the center becuase my sliders weld to the out side of the frame then go to my cage, and my B-hoop X brace goes to the inside of the frame rails.

I have loads of pics on pirate. do a search.
User: Ashmanjeepxj
Subject: Topless 1ton

I used a gas c25 shielded Mig, 135A but not on the hottest setting, probibly 100Amps, running 0.35 solid wire, wire speed depends on what your filling.

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Uhhh.....NO! I like to be able to see out my windshield, thank you very much.

Remind me why it is I like wheelin' with you WCGIC guys........I can't figure it out.

Because we're fun to follow....... :D

The frame looks good Rick.....nice idea.

ashmanjeepxj said:
I have loads of pics on pirate. do a search.
User: Ashmanjeepxj
Subject: Topless 1ton

Yeah, I've read your entire thread on Pirate, good stuff. I just wanted to write it up as I was doing it too and get as many details of the actual sleeving in the thread as possible for anybody else that is considering doing it. I ended up just cutting the box tube at that front part so that it is angle, more or less. It still has a little lip that comes up so it meets up perfectly, and the leftover I'll probably weld to the inside of the rail for additional strength and to keep the mounting points for the fuel rails even all the way back. I'm only doing the middle section of the Jeep for now. I'll do the front and back with angle eventually, but I don't have much time to work on it so that'll have to wait.

Mark Hinkley said:
Man Rick that is way cool of you to give us permission to trash on Joe's rig. We know how good friends you are so if you say it is OK then it must be. Farmer, I don't know about you but I can't wait to wheel with Driveway Joe again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley
Anybody know when driveonmejoe is coming out west again? I'm going to have to start collecting rocks. Thanks Rick!!!!

Matt

Got a little more done last night until I ran out of welding wire. Once I get more wire I just have to burn it all in, re-inforce the leaf spring mount, clean it up and paint it. All the pictures are at http://community.webshots.com/user/xj92 but I've attached a few.
The front piece
frame25.jpg

The front piece from the back side as it sits right behind the stock LCA mount.
frame37.jpg

Another shot from behind the frame rail toward the back. The fuel/brake lines are still hanging loose.
frame38.jpg

A shot from the outside of the frame rail. Everything will be filled in and smoothed out once I'm done so it looks like one long piece.
frame35.jpg

you realy shoulda taken a grinder to those rails whre your welds are to clean it up. Your welds are not gonna be to great trying to burn in through untercoating and galvanizing.

Or if you did it is hard to see in the pics.

I did take a grinder to most if not all areas. I'll have to look next time I get out there, I might have forgot on some areas on the back side of the rail. Speaking of welding, I bought some different wire last night, Washington Metals or something. My welds turned out perfect and burned much hotter. I never realized what a difference wire brand could make. I've been using harbor freight and/or lincoln wire in the past.

Looks like a lot of work. If I'm never planning on going bigger than 33s and 4.5" of lift is this something that I should think about doing?

Robert

XJWheelie said:
Looks like a lot of work. If I'm never planning on going bigger than 33s and 4.5" of lift is this something that I should think about doing?

Robert

If you ever plan to get out on some rocks I would say yes. :thumbup:

Back