• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeve over tie-rod ?

bobfortier

NAXJA Forum User
Everybody know the trick with the Hi-Lift handle used to sleeve the tie rod if you bend it on the trail. I was just wondering, is it a good idea to find a tube that has the right ID and sleeve the tie-rod to make it beefier ?

What do you think ?

A friend of mine did this and it worked well. Got a piece of black iron pipe at home depot. Cut it to the right legnth. Then he slotted the ends and hammered it down around the ends of the tie rod, then welded it up. He also did this with a piece of chrome moly on another jeep.

A friend of mine did this and it worked well. Got a piece of black iron pipe at home depot. Cut it to the right legnth. Then he slotted the ends and hammered it down around the ends of the tie rod, then welded it up. He also did this with a piece of chrome moly on another jeep.

I have seen guys weld 1/2 " angle to the tie rod

You could do that but then your weak link will be the TRE's. Do it right and spring for a 1 ton setup that uses larger ends. But even those are not invincible, I have bent one of my 1 ton TRE's.

-Alex

Why not just buy a HD tie rod, you can get one that will fit your stock TRE's. I used to run a BigDaddy that held up to anything I through at it. I would think a sleeve might rattle if it was not a perfect fit and because of the collars on the ends it can not cover the TRE's and will just make that area a weak point where the stock rod will shear off. In my opinion the stock tie rod does not under any condition belong anywhere but on the street. It's garbage and should be treated as such. You won't believe how skimpy it is until you compare it to an aftermarket HD rod.

I guess your friend will be screwed if he needs to get an alignment with the tie rod/TRE's welded together.

Last edited:
Ive seen SQ tube, Angle Iron, round tube, and DOM all used to sleve stock and after market tie rods. Any of the above is better than stock, and cheaper than after market.

I have been a big fan of my alumiflex tie rod by toys by troy(which I think is gone now). Its held up well and if I feel like some extra bling I can polish it :D.

If you're on a budget pick up a ZJ V8 tie rod, its solid (compared to the hollow xj one)

If you're on a budget pick up a ZJ V8 tie rod, its solid (compared to the hollow xj one)

ya you can sleeve it I done it on my landcruser make sure its a tight fit and then drill a few holes in the sleeve ONLY then plug weld it to the stock part.I also split a tube and put it over another tie rod and stitch welded it on both sides of the split oh ya I fully welded the ends if the sleeve to the stock part you can still adjust them but there a lot stronger also

Why don't you just contact ironrockoffroad.com and order their heavy duty tie rod which is 1.25 solid steel for $66.00 and be done with it...easier to adjust and the week point in the factory TRE which is something easy to replace and in expensive to carry with you as a spare.
I'm sorry but I build to the cheapest and easiest trail fix so I don't break something that I have to spend another $100.00 on.
JMO...

Back