• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Trails and Rock Stacking

Kyle Horvath said:
A few years back (2002ish), me and my Pops ran Slickrock in my old stock XJ. Only a tiny leak in the T-case was all she got from the run. Too easy. Sad to see that happen.

Good news is I ran it 2006 with a 6 inch over stock XJ on 33s. it was way harder. so someone did some adjustments to make it a little bit more complex.

Yes, but who are you to say that it's "better" because it's harder? Was it originally cut as a hard trail? I don't know, never been there.

It's not ok to leave a trail stacked, but it's also not ok to make a trail harder for your own enjoyment.

Phil said:
It's not ok to leave a trail stacked, but it's also not ok to make a trail harder for your own enjoyment.

Yeah, so don't go out and put a TJ in your way just to see if you can get by it!

hollister031.jpg

:kissyou:

It (Slickrock Road) was originally a road for backcountry travel between 2 reservoirs and a "resort lake" off of highway 4 in california. I'm guessing back in the day a simple 4WD could do it no problem.
Over the years (many), the elements have eaten away at the asphalt and gravel sections.
So. . . stacking in a way restores the road to its original condition, but nature should be able to take its own course reclaiming land as it will (nature, other than the rigs running the trail). But nobody made it "easier", they just removed a crap ton of basketball sized boulders that were placed there to purposely make the trail a more simple run.

Either way, its a purty run, and can be done with a simple rig in less than 2 hours. I take my time to enjoy all the little things along the way.

If anyone wants to organize a summer run, count me in. I'll be Sierra-Side over the summer (North Coast now).

http://californiajeeper.com/slickroc/review.htm

Kyle Horvath said:
If anyone wants to organize a summer run, count me in. I'll be Sierra-Side over the summer (North Coast now).

I have been thinking, and should start asking around, if anyone would like to have a 3 day weekend trip starting with Slick Rock Road, Deer Valley and Strawberry. I plan to run these trails late spring early summer.

I'll make it's own tread later, or someone else can if interested, I "should" be working.

Back