• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Trails and Rock Stacking

ChuckD said:
GOATMAN KING OF ROCK UNSTACKING!!!

***This is your warning, don't let the G man lead the Swamp run!!****

:D

F'in great. what did I sign myself up for?!:shiver:

Capt. Nemo said:
This past weekend, our group ran Slickrock, Deer Valley, Strawberry Pass, and finished on Barrett. As mentioned, some sections were so stacked that the challenges were not challenges any more. After we got out of Strawberry, we almost started arguing about exactly where the "painted rock" section was since there was nothing obvious to us.

We (some Reno folks) ran DV and slickrock last weekend...it wasn't "overly" stacked...but stacked non the less. We observed an apperantly "wasted" man in a marron YJ, with cali plates to the effect of ****** or something close to that... appread to be fairly well built...anyways... that @$$ hat had no business being on that trail...and I have no doubt is a reason why they want to close it. He was more concerned about hammering down the go-pedle than picking a line and was basically tearing up the trail....

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't get this, so much hate for our own kind, yeah people stack rocks, yeah there are a$$hats on the trail, but this is just giving "them" more amo to close our trails. All people see is what you are whining about, and people will get the idea that is all that is out on our trails. More reason to close down areas and why they should put cops on ever trail!

No one post up the positives, like a few weeks back Shark Marks group found a old full size axle housing on the side of the trail. They not only took the time to pick it up drag it into the back of Arrons XJ, drive it off the trail, but they then took it home and brought it to a recycle center.

I understand the point in trying to "hate the hats" but it is just negitive to our own sport, and it is all people will understand after reading a thread like this.

Personally, I only say what I see/experience, so that others, such as these members might be able to say something if they know the guy. Sort of like policing our own, unfortunately it doesn’t always work. I realize that there are hundreds of positive acts made every year, but obviously that isn’t enough. We have to work towards ridding our selves or at the very least, identifying those who act like “hats” and harm our trails. No, we can not keep them off the trails, but we can shame them and those who associate with them. I personally will never wheel with several people from the Reno area, because of the way they act on the trail. Maybe if we all identified those who are not kind to the trails, take advantage of them, and then disassociate ourselves from those individuals, we can then work to clean up the 4x4 communities image. :patriot:

Goatman said:
Just get in the habit of chucking rocks out everywhere you go..........that's what I do. If you're standing around talking or watching, pitch out a few rocks, it's therapeutic. :D

Just don't throw them at your friends :rolleyes:

Letterman said:
I really don't get this, so much hate for our own kind...
...I understand the point in trying to "hate the hats" but it is just negitive to our own sport, and it is all people will understand after reading a thread like this.

The intention of this thread was to bring to light some trail etiquette, or maybe my latest pet peeve. If this has turned into something other than that, PM Bryan and have it deleted. I'm cool with that.

Less drama=more better.

Mrburns said:
... I personally will never wheel with several people from the Reno area, because of the way they act on the trail.
Sounds like we need to go wheeling together then! :cheers: I agree there are A LOT of people in our area that just don't get it.

EricsXJ said:
Sounds like we need to go wheeling together then! :cheers: I agree there are A LOT of people in our area that just don't get it.

are you on Reno4x4.com?

See Dave, this thread has took a turn for the better. There's so much love that it's now being used as an alternate PM box!!!

:smootch:

:thumbup:

Capt. Nemo said:
See Dave, this thread has took a turn for the better. There's so much love that it's now being used as an alternate PM box!!!

:smootch:

:thumbup:

:rattle:

SierraFest2007190.jpg

Typically, I know if I’m going to make an tougher optional line. I can tell if I only need a couple of rocks or if I’m going to have to build a driveway. If I can’t toss a rock or two under my wheel, then I back up and take the legal bypass. If I get big time stuck, then we get to work with rocks/hiLift/winch/etc.

Don’t hate on the stackers, they just wish they could hang with that sweet CJ7 :D
Just kidding ya’ll that is me in the first picture.

Rock stacking in the sierras is nothing new. In fact it used to be called trail maintenance and it was considered a good thing. I'm for it when there are holes developing or if it slows water run off.
rubicon_littlesluice.jpg

With PVD just a few weeks away, I was going over photos from back in Feb. '07 and saw some crazy rock stacking!

We must put a stop to this:
PV_Close_0481.jpg

Yes all that to make the trail flat!
PV_Mid_0481.jpg

Just need to unstack all that and make the trail hard again:
PV_Far_0481.jpg

Ok I know it is not a Sierra Trail but still! :gee:

karstic said:
That looks like the place I got stuck.
It was. You can see where your tire started to kick up the dirt.

You can also see the three rocks that we stacked to get you out.

The huge pile of rocks I dont remember being there, because you got hung up on that large rock.

edit: Pirate thread about rock stacking:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332399

Last edited:
A few years back (2002ish), me and my Pops ran Slickrock in my old stock XJ. Only a tiny leak in the T-case was all she got from the run. Too easy. Sad to see that happen.

Good news is I ran it 2006 with a 6 inch over stock XJ on 33s. it was way harder. so someone did some adjustments to make it a little bit more complex.

Back