• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Trails and Rock Stacking

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
I'm NOT talking about this:
IMG_2708.jpg

For the most part, the trails that snake through the Sierras have already been "groomed" with strategically placed rocks so that the averagely equipped rig can make it over an obstacle without much effort. Spend any amount of time on the OHV trails in the Sierra Nevadas, however, and eventually you'll have to stack a rock in order to get over an obstacle. It may be for you, it may be for a buddy, it may be for a complete stranger... either way there are some common guidelines that should be kept in mind when stacking rocks:

1) Only stack rocks if you intend to remove them when the vehicle is over the obstacle.

2) Only stack rocks that you can physically place and remove.

3) Only stack one or two at a time until the vehicle is able to move over the obstacle.

4) DO NOT stack in areas or lines that are considered "optional", "driver's choice", or have easier [legal] bypasses around them. If you can't make it without stacking, you don't belong there in the first place.

5) Did I mention, REMOVE ANY ROCK THAT IS STACKED!!!

What brought this thread on was my experience on the Barrett Lake Jeep Trail this past weekend. I was absolutely floored to see a challenging optional area completely paved overnight - literally. I didn't have the hour or so of time to un-stack all of the rocks, unfortunately. In addition, I observed two guys roll an Igloo cooler sized rock into an optional area, making the line over challenge not a challenge at all. I hollered at the guys to remove the rock (which they couldn't budge after they rolled it down hill), but they just left it.

Here are some pictures:

BEFORE. Notice the rock wall on the left side of the picture, and the large rock in the center of the picture as my buddy takes the line of this optional obstacle:

DSCF0819.jpg

AFTER. This is the same obstacle 24 hours later. Notice all the rocks between the wall and the large rock. It looks like a dump truck unloaded right there. The challenge is now almost no challenge at all.

DSCF0850.jpg

If you have to stack, REMOVE the rocks when you are done. If you can't make an optional challenge, LEAVE IT ALONE and go around.

Cap - what a great post.

The last part of Slick Rock was completely stacked much the same way you pointed out above. I don't know who did it but they sure did put a lot of rocks in the hole.

SharkXJ said:
Cap - what a great post.

The last part of Slick Rock was completely stacked much the same way you pointed out above. I don't know who did it but they sure did put a lot of rocks in the hole.
We were up there on July 14th and watched a Poker Run come through. They had the last section paved which made it way too easy. That is fine if they choose to do that for their event but what irked me is when they were finished everyone just dispersed and nobody unstacked the rocks. Here was the event that did it. http://www.hstar.net/ccsar/slick_rock_form.pdf

Also we did Strawberry Creek the same weekend, and the Painted Rock obstacle is not much of an obstacle anymore. Those that are familiar with it will remember a big slab tilted to the side that slides you into Painted Rock... Well that slab has been moved about 4 feet forward and is not at an angle. I belive this was done intentionally and would have required a dozer. Possibly done due to damage to the side of the trail (much like what was happening on GateKeeper) People were tearing big rocks out of the side embankment to use for stacking.

Last edited:
This past weekend, our group ran Slickrock, Deer Valley, Strawberry Pass, and finished on Barrett. As mentioned, some sections were so stacked that the challenges were not challenges any more. After we got out of Strawberry, we almost started arguing about exactly where the "painted rock" section was since there was nothing obvious to us.

I agree there is a general lack of etiquette to leave the trail as it was found. There have been too many sections of trails in this region that have been stacked and left that way. There is a whole range of different rigs that run these trails. Some very capable and some less so but the trail is for everyone. If a rig needs to stack then yeah stack no sense in thrashing the rig or the trail over it but put it back so challenges are there for the next driver to overcome.

I agree Eric...

though there is a notion that sometimes, leaving a trail stacked is the right thing to do...

I was on Sledgehammer last weekend, and Ron was in front of me in the buggy, and was having issues at the plaque, and we stacked a little - the rain had washed all the rocks outta the undercut, and made a huge hole on the other side as well...

we left the trail stacked - it is still an obsticle, but its now passable, where before - it wasnt...

we figured it would have taken 42's to make that as it was when we got there... and if someone is on Sledge on 42's or bigger, and complaining about the stackedness of the trail, they need to go another few canyons over to Jack and Bender alley anyhow...

so, maybe not in this case, but sometimes it might make more sense to wonder why you 'needed' 37's to run strawberry and realize when trail rideing, that sometimes the challenge you remember when you were open/open on 31's, isnt going to be there with an atlas, 37's, lockers, and beadlocks...

kinda make sense? maybe?

XJ_ranger said:
...so, maybe not in this case, but sometimes it might make more sense to wonder why you 'needed' 37's to run strawberry and realize when trail rideing, that sometimes the challenge you remember when you were open/open on 31's, isnt going to be there with an atlas, 37's, lockers, and beadlocks...

kinda make sense? maybe?

Totally makes sense. I guess my main point was that the stacking was most noticeable on optional lines. What you're describing seems to be the only line where you guys stacked and left it. I have stacked and left rocks at the bottom of ledges where the dirt was being dug out deeper and deeper - there was no other alternative.

Capt. Nemo said:
4) DO NOT stack in areas or lines that are considered "optional", "driver's choice", or have easier [legal] bypasses around them. If you can't make it without stacking, you don't belong there in the first place.

... If you can't make an optional challenge, LEAVE IT ALONE and go around.

Sometimes, you take an optional line because you think you can make it, at things go horribly awry. This was the first bypass area at Barrett...

2851.jpg

2853.jpg

That big rock shifted a couple of feet while I was on it, and completely killed my line and any chance of getting through without stacking - especially after I wiped out my driveshaft. We stacked like crazy to get my rig up to a reasonable level so we could get it off the rocks. In fact, we had to lift it up a good bit and stack rock just to get to a point where I could get under there and pull the driveshaft.

We also spent alot of time unstacking those rocks. I can't say that it was left in the same condition as when I arrived - especially since I shifted that huge rock so much, but we did our best to undo what we had done.

I don't think that I was in the wrong trying that line, even though I didn't make it.

Travis

EricsXJ said:
We were up there on July 14th and watched a Poker Run come through. They had the last section paved which made it way too easy. That is fine if they choose to do that for their event but what irked me is when they were finished everyone just dispersed and nobody unstacked the rocks. Here was the event that did it. http://www.hstar.net/ccsar/slick_rock_form.pdf

Also we did Strawberry Creek the same weekend, and the Painted Rock obstacle is not much of an obstacle anymore. Those that are familiar with it will remember a big slab tilted to the side that slides you into Painted Rock... Well that slab has been moved about 4 feet forward and is not at an angle. I belive this was done intentionally and would have required a dozer. Possibly done due to damage to the side of the trail (much like what was happening on GateKeeper) People were tearing big rocks out of the side embankment to use for stacking.

I would have probably missed what was "Painted Rock" if you hadn't said anything.I do hate when people tear $#!+ up and ruin it for the rest of us.
I've passed Strawberry with open front rear, sagging springs,
30" tires, and my Wife as pass. Even made it over the big rocks on the Strawberry side with minimal stacking. (Sorry, I did'nt unstack but that was before "I got edumacated")

2851.jpg

2853.jpg

That's rock humping at its finest, so hard he broke his shaft

Last edited:
After we got out of Strawberry, we almost started arguing about exactly where the "painted rock" section was since there was nothing obvious to us.

I remember where Painted Rock is. My last trip over Strawberry Pass was with my '02 Liberty and I indeed left some cactus green paint from my beloved KJ.

That Jeep is now gone and I am looking forward to trying the trail with my lifted '99 XJ. I am sure it will not be as much of a challenge as with my non-lifted Liberty, but I do not want to leave any steel blue paint on that rock.

Either way, it is a nice location for wheeling. Can't wait for the next trip.

But I spent all day stacking them here rocks:

SB_0062.jpg

Trails change, rocks move, people stack them, who cares?
Most the sierra trails are not that hard, other then maybe Fordyce, and the best part to them is the nice views and great camp spots.

Letterman said:
Trails change, rocks move, people stack them, who cares?

Ditto.
Stacking optional lines is retarded but there are a lot of retarded users out there. Just gotta unstack here and there as you go.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
I would have probably missed what was "Painted Rock" if you hadn't said anything.I do hate when people tear $#!+ up and ruin it for the rest of us.
I've passed Strawberry with open front rear, sagging springs,
30" tires, and my Wife as pass. Even made it over the big rocks on the Strawberry side with minimal stacking. (Sorry, I did'nt unstack but that was before "I got edumacated")
Just so you know what it was like before - this was when I first did it in 2003 on 31's. Driver tire is on the slab that is now moved. Back then this was the line you HAD to take. You couldn't drive around it. Now you can and totally avoid Painted Rock (the big rock on my pass side). It doesn't look too hard but it was deceiving. The tilted slab would slide you into Painted Rock every time. :roll:

straw49.jpg

Yup thats the one, that is how I remember it. 30's, a log step, and walking wife:D
Thank you for bringing that back to me

EricsXJ said:

That Is my jeep clubs event. I remember hearing them talking about needing to stack to get some of the less equipped rigs through. It was stated that it be unstacked on the way out but...!?! Ill mention this thread to them at our next meeting. We spend a lot of time maintaining Slickrock, and are fighting to keep it open.

Just get in the habit of chucking rocks out everywhere you go..........that's what I do. If you're standing around talking or watching, pitch out a few rocks, it's therapeutic. :D

Back