• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shop wants $850 an axle to regear....

its not very hard, i charge 250 for a pulled axle if the customer has all the parts/ install kit, i can put in/ setup new gears in 1.5-3 hours if the axle is pulled.

its not very hard, i charge 250 for a pulled axle if the customer has all the parts/ install kit, i can put in/ setup new gears in 1.5-3 hours if the axle is pulled.

So, I'm doing my myself this spring and it'll be my first time.

How important is it to pull the axle? I'll be doing my front D30, and it's going to take quite a bit of work to pull it. My springs, shocks, and what-not haven't moved in probably 10 years... Then I'll have to re-adjust the entire front steering, get an alignment... So I'm wondering if, as a whole, it would save me time to do it still on the truck. Or will that make the regear substantially more difficult?

This is not my daily driver so I'm under no time constraints to get it done.

Its a heck of a lot easier to work around the axle when its not in the vehicle. You can be standing, and have the axle on a bench, or nice jack set up, and have the diff facing up, so you can drop the carrier in, rather than try to push (that thing is heavy, especially if its a locker) it sideways. You would be crouching under a vehicle in an awkward position most of the time if you didn't pull it.

I probably would have shot myself if when I geared my axle over the summer if it wasn't on a bench.

x2 on finding someone local who does it out of their homes, i dont care how much your rent is, $2k for re-gearing a jeep just isnt do-able...

ive done 3 rear axle re-gears w/ 3 differant gear guys around socal, and every guy has been real cool... and straight foward. dare i say professional?
just cause its done outta someone's garage, doesnt mean ANYTHING!

x2 on finding someone local who does it out of their homes, i dont care how much your rent is, $2k for re-gearing a jeep just isnt do-able...

ive done 3 rear axle re-gears w/ 3 differant gear guys around socal, and every guy has been real cool... and straight foward. dare i say professional?
just cause its done outta someone's garage, doesnt mean ANYTHING!

Like said a few times before in this post you can't trust just any "gear guy" to set up axles and expect them to hold up. You may have had good experience with some local guys near you but there is no way to know of someone's credibility before hand. Like Begster said before Bob at baystate here in MA is a sure thing. I promise you Bob stands behind his work and he does a damn good job. I've had my friends go to him and I myself have gone to him a handful of times. If you want piece of mind save up and go to Bob over at Baystate. When I collect the parts/tools to regear my axles i'm going to take a crack at doing it myself, but when I mess up i'll be bringing them to bob...

...i dont care how much your rent is, $2k for re-gearing a jeep just isnt do-able...

There's no reason for this to turn into a pissing match. If you can't afford $2000, that's your issue, and that's fine. Please don't make it sound like shops like mine are just overcharging and unreasonable (BTW, it's more like $1700 for both axles regeared in the rig...no lockers).

With comments like "i dont care how much your rent is", it sounds like you would never give a local 4x4 shop like mine any business anyways, and that's fine. I can't make everybody happy, and not everybody can afford shops...but please don't slam us for running a business.

Thanks

FWIW I re-geared the rear 44 while it was out, before I put it in the XJ, but I did the fronts in the jeep. with how many times you have to put it in and take it out if i was not on a time crunch I would have taken the thing out. With an air gun and some pb blaster its not that much longer to get it out and put it on the bench. Not to mention that you have to measure the backlash and spacing, it gets to be a pain while laying on your back...

If i could have found a shop to do install and parts for 1700 I would have paid it, Most of the places around here (regular auto shops) wanted about $1250/per and the closest 4x4 shop I know of that is about 2 hrs away and I have no idea what they charge.
I however have that ever lingering feeling that I screwed it up, and after 10,000miles gonna find my front pinion coming up to greet me in the drivers seat. but (fingers crossed) I will cross the 10,000 mile since re-gear this spring so we will see..

oh, and buy a press. Don't rent, or barrow BUY it!
I changed all my u-joints while i had it becuase it was sooo nice
yeah I am the idiot that rented it...

The shop around here said they would put4:56s in mine front and rear, with the axles still under the xj, for $1800. Price includes all parts and labor.

There's no reason for this to turn into a pissing match. If you can't afford $2000, that's your issue, and that's fine. Please don't make it sound like shops like mine are just overcharging and unreasonable (BTW, it's more like $1700 for both axles regeared in the rig...no lockers).

With comments like "i dont care how much your rent is", it sounds like you would never give a local 4x4 shop like mine any business anyways, and that's fine. I can't make everybody happy, and not everybody can afford shops...but please don't slam us for running a business.

Thanks

didnt mean to talk smack about you, or your shop.... i know neither...
im sure you do EXCELLANT work, but so does NASA....

im not convinced you arent overcharging, and if you are, thats fine, thats your right, if they dont like it, they can shop around...
im just sayin, re-gearing prices have driven people into the garage to do their own small-scale gearing operations... and thats a good thing!
if you cant do it for a reasonable price, other people will.

Damn, I got my front and rear D30 and D44 with lockers and 4.56 gears done for the cost of carrying gas for the guy's motorcycle the next time I go on the Rubicon, so he can run it back and forth while we crawl, and he's a factory trained Mopar guy. I am feeling very fortunate 'cause I had no idea it would cost so much to have it done elsewhere. Right on Dave at Murrays in San Mateo!!

I don't think that price is outta line if they do a great job. I work on boilers and we charge around $150 per hour. sounds like a lot of money until you have a company come out that charges $90 per hour and f's your boiler up. eventually you'll call us and we will fix it right. but at $150 per hour, your are paying for all of the schooling we get, the best tools and hopefully the smartest guys in the industry. I don't mind paying more if the job is done right! my hp dana 30 is getting done right now with a super 30 kit with an arb for $2200. but it will be done right and I will not have to worry about it on the trail. spend the money and get it done right!

Back