• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on welders plz...

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
if you had $500 to spend on a welder setup. and wanted to buy befor the holiday sales were up. what would you go after and why?
i know only that im looking for wire feed. and id like to be able to weld 3/8"s, 1/4" would do fine for now i know. its more about hiting the mark on price.
i do alot of sheet metal work. but im looking to get into more fab work. i will be buying this for my shop so id like to have some Quaity behind the thing.
like i sad i dont know much aout them and theres tons of options out there,just looking for a little direction thats all.

Thanks guies/gals

Bronze.

I am Very happy with my Hobart Handler 187. Although, Hobart has now ended this model and stepped up to the HH190 That is SpoolGun Capable.. you can still find the HH187 in the top of your budget..

That said, If i hadn't of bought the HH187, i was planning to go with the Miller 140 Autoset.
It's a great welder but just outside of your range i think?

To get into 3/8" territory, you will have to step up to a 240v welder.. While i am happy with my Machine, I wish i had the luxury of a standard Extension chord.

edit: Agree with Moneypit_k5 Once i added Gas to this machine.. It Really Came alive.. I am satisfied first pass alot more often now!

Last edited:
500 doesnt buy much in the realm of new welders. your pretty much stuck with a 110 mig or an entry level 220 mig.

I have a lincoln sp170t 220 mig here at home, which is your entry level 220 mig. it will weld up to 3/8" and still be within its comfort range.

the big thing when looking to weld the bigger stuff is duty cycle. I beleive this machine has a 35% duty cycle at full power.

this machine new runs 7-$900. honestly at $500, you should be looking into a good used machine. otherwise, there really isnt much to talk about as far as choices.

also, invest in a tank and run gas. its a little pricy out of the gate, but well worth the investment in terms of weld quality.

id find a used machine like this lincoln, or look for a miller 250. they are out there for that money.

if you had $500 to spend on a welder setup. and wanted to buy befor the holiday sales were up. what would you go after and why?
i know only that im looking for wire feed. and id like to be able to weld 3/8"s, 1/4" would do fine for now i know. its more about hiting the mark on price.
i do alot of sheet metal work. but im looking to get into more fab work. i will be buying this for my shop so id like to have some Quaity behind the thing.
like i sad i dont know much aout them and theres tons of options out there,just looking for a little direction thats all.

Thanks guies/gals

Bronze.

If I were you I would look at the Hobart line. I don't know if you could get a 220v for $500. But you could get a 110v 140A that would weld 1/4" with co2 and .030 wire I think about a 20% cycle on them but not sure off the top of my head. They are very good welders. Back in they day before Miller bought them they were an industry standard. Miller now calls them there hobby grade line of welder but their still made in the USA.

Look at Costal farm that stock them.

Dave

Save up, and get a 220 volt unit. Don't waste money on a 110. Get a bottle and regulator. Don't get in a hurry and buy the wrong welder because it's on sale right now. Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln are all excellent machines. Pick your favorite color.

Damn you guys type fast! I'm finger picking at an iPad. But yea if you can find a used or entry level 220/240v if you can. At home I have a sp135+ and it taxes my small shops 110v to the max if I use it to weld 1/4" for to long.

Dave

Damn you guys type fast! I'm finger picking at an iPad. But yea if you can find a used or entry level 220/240v if you can. At home I have a sp135+ and it taxes my small shops 110v to the max if I use it to weld 1/4" for to long.

Dave

this is absolutely something to consider also. most home garages run 15 amp-20 amp breakers, you'll need a dedicated breaker at the very least. 220 is the way to go, unless you plan on packing the welder to other places on a regular basis, which 110 is pretty convenient.

Better yet, just come buy my 170, or trade it out of me for the MJ paintjob. that way I have an excuse to drag the snapon MM250 home.

this is absolutely something to consider also. most home garages run 15 amp-20 amp breakers, you'll need a dedicated breaker at the very least. 220 is the way to go, unless you plan on packing the welder to other places on a regular basis, which 110 is pretty convenient.

Better yet, just come buy my 170, or trade it out of me for the MJ paintjob. that way I have an excuse to drag the snapon MM250 home.

My last job I use to use one of them Snap-on welders. Very nice! The one I used was old and well beat but nice. If I remember correctly they were built by old school Hobart when they were self owned.

Dave

500 bucks to spend on a welder? I'd make sure he ..... Or she was a Mexican...they really are the best welders....500 bucks to spend on a welding machine? Now that's a different question all together

500 you can get a lincoln 140amp 110 volt used probably even with a bottle. Bet 110 welder out there and can do 1/4." Just a thought if the budget is tight.

so from what i gather.if i want to be in the 3/8s range. get a 220v welder, get a gas setup. and stay with a biger name. miller, hobart, lincon

as far as amps, names, phases, wires, and all that other teq stuff. im a newb. i know what you guies are refering to. but not really in deatil what you are talking about.

ill be looking thro the local pawn shops an such.CL w/e. but id really like to know how to narrow down the feild while im looking. theres just a TON of options.

thx for al the help guies.
Bronze.

500 bucks to spend on a welder? I'd make sure he ..... Or she was a Mexican...they really are the best welders....500 bucks to spend on a welding machine? Now that's a different question all together

just because you know ONE person in the NWC does not mean you know them all. save you sarcazim for another persons thred please. our friends here have done a great job at helping me out in the thred. your comments are not needed.

thx agin :wave:
Bronze.

heres what i mean: howdo i tell god or bad?!?:

http://salem.craigslist.org/tls/2723851368.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2729477049.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2726665066.html
oldie but goodie??? http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2685160825.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2722524692.html

theres loads of them out there. just need to narrow the feild a little.

Last edited:
you would need a dedicated 220x outlet for it with a 50 amp breaker

thats an average deal on that welder.

those other welders you posted up theres only one mig machine, the miller 35 for 500. id pay 500 for that old 220 machine before i paid 500 for a 180 weldpak.

Save up, and get a 220 volt unit. Don't waste money on a 110. Get a bottle and regulator. Don't get in a hurry and buy the wrong welder because it's on sale right now. Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln are all excellent machines. Pick your favorite color.

x2

I like Red so I bought a Lincoln. I got a SP180t on Craigslist. Paid 600 new in box. I love it.

I wouldn't buy a Hobart because everyone I know with a Hobart is gay. You don't want to be lumped in with them do you?

Sometimes the local welding shops have used stuff for sale check with them. 110 welders really do suck for anything thicker than 1/8". Even the small 220 welders are not that good on 1/4. I've had a lincoln sp175,miller 175,dan mig 140mono, and now have a esab 250. I picked up the esab for 1000 with a huge bottle and a 33lbs spool of .030 and it looked new, for awhile. Lincolns seem to do better on sheetmetal, like quarter panel replacements, than the miller does. I worked in a body shop for 6 years doing restorations and 4 years in a restoration only shop. I would vote for a used lincoln sp175 until you can afford to go bigger, that or get a stick welder. If you want to weld 3/8 you should use .035 wire but the small machines dont like it much. I would get .030 er70s-6 wire for general welding or .023 if you do a lot of sheetmetal with 75/25 gas mix. If you go with a bigger machine like miller 250 I would also set it up for spray arc with 98/2 or 90/10 gas mix after you have the 75/25. Spray arc makes a nicer weld that penetrates better. Any of the big name 220 welders should be able to do 1/4 inch. 3/8 is pushing it for the little machines. You might have to do a flux core for 3/8 welding. This is just from my experience welding over the past 12 years.Hope it helps some.

x2

I like Red so I bought a Lincoln. I got a SP180t on Craigslist. Paid 600 new in box. I love it.

I wouldn't buy a Hobart because everyone I know with a Hobart is gay. You don't want to be lumped in with them do you?
we CAN impeach you.

john: that new LINCOLN is the way i would go if i were you right now offer him $450.. if you need any electrical help with your shop, PM DellstopJeep..

Last edited:
Back