• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on welders plz...

Save up and get the Millermatic 211 with MVP. MVP is their multi volt plug. 110 or 220 v. That way you can drag it to your buddies house if you have to. Indianapolis Oxygen Company has the best package deals. Find them on e-bay. Duty cycle on the miller is better than Lincoln mvp. Hobart uses plastic parts where the miller would be metal.

A couple of things that have not been mentioned above that I considered when purchasing my first welder.

1. The cost of the welder is only part of the equation. You also need a hood, gloves, leathers, magnets, gas, tank, cart, etc.
2. My input is to purchase the VERY best hood you can afford, your eye's are worth it, and welding is MUCH easier to learn with a good hood.
3. Buy the best welder you can afford.
4. Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are all reasonable products, I prefer Miller, and I suspect that most people agree that as a general rule the Miller products are better than the others.
5. Size can be important depending on where you are useing it. Most standard garages can not handle a full size unit, they just take up too much space. The smaller units on a cart with tanks is much easier to store out of the way.
6. 220V is much more capable than a 110 unit for thicker materials, you can consider multiple passes on some applications but I wouldn't want to plan on a smaller unit and doing multiple passes for much of what you want to do with it.
7. I would only consider a 110 portable unit as a second unit for my purposes, just isn't useful to me. I have two friends who got 110 units do to that idea and neither of them have ever traveled with it in the years that they have both had them.
8. I have a Miller 220V 175 unit and I love it. I have access to a 250 unit with an additional AL spool gun also and it is awsome. The reason I got the 175 is due to space, it is much more practicle in my work space.

Michael

The 211 is a portable. Very nice machine same size as the new 180. It can run 110 or use the 220 plug. No wires to change around. As far as helmets go, believe it or not, the automatic one from harbor freight is a pretty decent helmet. Adjustable shade and speed. Mine works great. Look up the specs on that 211, you maybe surprised.

This is one of the many examples of where bigger is better.

I have a 220V machine and can burn 1/4" all day. Yet with .023 wire, I can turn it down and start fusing sheet metal too.

I think any of the big three in 220V ~180A flavor will do anything you can throw at it.

This will open a whole new door for Bronzemobile. :cool:

Back