• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCCA MJ Suspension SetUp?

Gotta love it, MJ's look damn good with an air damn and slammed to the ground, it's funny how often this subject gets resurrected here and on Comanche club.

I'm not sure of the SCCA rules but they could pretty easily cut coils, and relocate axle brackets (welding and fabrication) drop blocks in the rear, or maybe just flipping the rear springs so they are slightly inverted (probably re-arched them instead).

Did they have to use unmodified factory stuff?

Does anyone have a list of coil springs and their spring rates that fit upfront on an MJ/XJ? I cut stock XJ coils and it is still too soft. I think stock coils are around 140 lbs/inch and I cut two coils off. This lowered the front of the XJ approx. 2.25 inch and I calculated the new spring rate to be around 190 lbs/inch. I think I need around 250 lbs/inch for good roll and dive stiffness. I'm looking for junk yard springs. Does anyone know what the rear of a ZJ uses for springs?

Does anyone have a list of coil springs and their spring rates that fit upfront on an MJ/XJ? I cut stock XJ coils and it is still too soft. I think stock coils are around 140 lbs/inch and I cut two coils off. This lowered the front of the XJ approx. 2.25 inch and I calculated the new spring rate to be around 190 lbs/inch. I think I need around 250 lbs/inch for good roll and dive stiffness. I'm looking for junk yard springs. Does anyone know what the rear of a ZJ uses for springs?

I can tell you that older F-150 springs will fit and are as stiff as dried up crap.

I can tell you that older F-150 springs will fit and are as stiff as dried up crap.

i can testify to those f150 springs' stiffness. i tried them as cheap lift. they would probably be close to that 250lb rate. cut a few coils off a pair.

back in the day sporttruck mag. had an article on the archer comanches. the front axle was bent for more camber and they ran a fiberglass monoleaf in the back. I'll havta dig up the article and look at it again for more info.

back in the day sporttruck mag. had an article on the archer comanches. the front axle was bent for more camber and they ran a fiberglass monoleaf in the back. I'll havta dig up the article and look at it again for more info.

I am very interested in seeing that article. Please let us know if you find it. I'd love a scan of it.

Thanks

I've seen those fiberglass monoleafs a few years ago, but not on a comanche. Somewhere else I read that the Archers used the stiffer metric tonne springs and lowering blocks for the rear. My brother is talking about linking the rear in his comanche. I'd like to read that article as well.
Edit: From Lee@Hesco: "The rear springs were leaf and lowering block were used. The front axle was cut and dropped."

Last edited:
the stock front axle was just a solid beam with the same suspension set up as the 4wd. there is no reason the stock front end could not be used. they weren't 4wd.

Did you ever find this?

I'm about to pull the rear leaf packs out to rebuild them for smoother leaf operation. I'm hoping to get any additional information about what the Archer Bros. did on their MJ.

Anyone find out anything in the last year?

Back