• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running 38's , need advice

i would hate to use my limit straps as seatbelts. much beefier

I have personally lifted more than one car using the seatbelts they are quite strong and already have a bolt on one side. A good boxed x stitch on the other around another bar and you have a good little strap.

I have personally lifted more than one car using the seatbelts they are quite strong and already have a bolt on one side. A good boxed x stitch on the other around another bar and you have a good little strap.

thats one pull. i just dont see them holding up to constant harsh use. a good limit strap is cheap enough anyway

Run the 30 until you have money to swap in a 44 up front. Lock the 8.8 and beef it up a bit, I've seen one handle 37's and an LS2, they are stout. Don't waste money on a 30 if you are running a tire that size.

saw that coming...

to the OP:
you mentioned picking up an extra housing to build so you can still drive the jeep. youd be better of building something other than another 30 with that mentality. you can do a lot to save the shafts... but after adding a truss, stout diff cover, and full case locker.... its still a 30. you still have D30 ball joints and unit bearings. and youve essentially made your R&P your weak link. id rather carry spare shaft/unit bearings combos to get me home, than chance busting my gears on the trail. ill say, for my wheeling, a 30 would probably do just fine. but i want a 44 for piece of mind. most will agree, 38s is pushing a D30.

saw that coming...

to the OP:
you mentioned picking up an extra housing to build so you can still drive the jeep. youd be better of building something other than another 30 with that mentality. you can do a lot to save the shafts... but after adding a truss, stout diff cover, and full case locker.... its still a 30. you still have D30 ball joints and unit bearings. and youve essentially made your R&P your weak link. id rather carry spare shaft/unit bearings combos to get me home, than chance busting my gears on the trail. ill say, for my wheeling, a 30 would probably do just fine. but i want a 44 for piece of mind. most will agree, 38s is pushing a D30.

38s is a little past pushing a D30 its straight up asking for broken parts.

Do whatever you want. You are going to anyway.

38s is a little past pushing a D30 its straight up asking for broken parts.
the response to this will be some variant of "don't confuse me with facts and reason, I have made up my mind"

Ya know. It confuses the piss out of me when people get on here and ask if something is a good idea. Everyone says no and they do it anyhow. Not just this OP but many many many others.

Why ask if you know what you're going to do.

Seeking confirmation, when none is forthcoming, seeking to now prove everyone wrong. Or because you were hoping for confirmation, but when none was forthcoming, "38s would be SWEET!" overrides logic...

I don't know why you guys are getting all bent out of shape. He had the tires laying around. He knows he's pushing the limits. So what? He'll go out and wheel it, he'll break shit, and then he can fix it. I fail to see how this is worth bitching about for 6 pages.

I don't know why you guys are getting all bent out of shape. He had the tires laying around. He knows he's pushing the limits. So what? He'll go out and wheel it, he'll break shit, and then he can fix it. I fail to see how this is worth bitching about for 6 pages.

It's only 4 pages for me. :)

I wasn't bitching at him. I just don't understand why he bothered asking.

I couldn't care less if he ran 40s. If I had them I'd run them too. I'd do a bit more to the axles first but that's just me.

I ran 34" LTBs once on my stock 30. First obstacle that I tried it snaped like a toothpick. I took them off and sold them as soon as I got home.

Hell, for that matter he could sell one set of those tires and fund some much nicer axles. Who needs 4 spares? :)

in defense of the OP... hes got pretty thick skin.

i havent seen the typical, "this is whats wrong with NAXJA, everyone is a douche, im going to go to another forum." :rattle:
In all honesty unlike the typical whiners he actually had the means abilities to accomplish what he asked about. He is still doing something stupid that will destroy a stock 30 relatively quickly.

Good thing about the 8.8 is you can get 5 on 5.5 to match a D44 by moving to a super 8.8 kit which is what he needs anyway.

Back