• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running 38's , need advice

38's left from a Toyota project, so I doubt he's new to wheeling. I'm trying to help people avoid the situation I'm in with a pile of cash into stock axles and 35's when they want to go bigger. Swap in 1 tons from the start, d

Sorry for the triple post, dumb smart phone. Don't even need to beef up the 1 tons to run 38's on a light xj. You could swap in a set of tons for what some guys spend on axle shafts. I'd bet money a stock Dana 60 front is stronger than an rcv equipped, trussed, sleeved, $4k plus Dana 30.

Maybe it's the small wheel openings, but in the xj world, it's seems people think of 31's as big and 35's as huge. A Dana 44 is considered the biggest axle you could ever need. It's like a time warp to wheeling in the early 90's. People read half a thread and then quote your specific post with irrelevant comments. He's got 3
... I pretty much disagree with all of this actually. Only reason I'm not building the 44 sitting in my yard is I'm not sure whether I really want to put money into it vs the 60s sitting in my yard*. And 31s are damn near stock, I've put em on the back of a stock MJ without even trimming.

Sorry for the triple post, dumb smart phone. Don't even need to beef up the 1 tons to run 38's on a light xj. You could swap in a set of tons for what some guys spend on axle shafts. I'd bet money a stock Dana 60 front is stronger than an rcv equipped, trussed, sleeved, $4k plus Dana 30.
I am not a betting man but I disagree. Everything except the shafts is clearly stronger but I'm honestly not sure if I'd put money on an RCV shaft vs a stock 60 shaft with 806 joints in it.

* I blow up u-joints in the 30 I have now, not gears or carriers or shafts, and I don't know that it's a wise decision for me to put money into a 44 with... the same size u-joints as the 30. If I felt like dropping cash on real nice shafts for a 44 I would probably be fine, but real nice shafts aren't in the budget.

Direct quote from rcv very near the strength of a stock Dana 60 u-joint. $1000 to be near the strength of a 60 in the u-joint only, everything else being weaker. Spend the $1000 on front and rear 1 tons. My brother-in-law bought a 91 f-350 for $700 because it wouldn't pass smog and had back DMV fees. Sold the fuel injected 460 for $500 and scrapped the rest. $200 hp Dana 60 and giant sterling 10.25 for the rear with 4.10 gears. You won't find deals like that on fancy high dollar parts to try and build stock axles stronger.

Going big on tires is a waste in my opinion, I just did a black diamond trail in my xj with a 4" lift and 31's with my buddy in his tj on 35's... And I lead the trail the entire time and had more fun doing it :) this is just my opinion but im a firm believer that driver expierence out weighs rig size... Someone that can pick their lines and have proper tire placement can go just as far If not further than someone with no expierence and big lift/tires... Just my opinion thou!

Not all black diamond trails are created equal. I've followed my brother-in-laws saggy on 37's up many black diamond trails in a stock 01 wj on street tires. There are times where you just need more ground clearance. The more you build your rig, the easier some trails get. Trails like the hammers and fordyce still offer plenty of challenge on 35's. Don't think you'd make it on 31's.

Going big on tires is a waste in my opinion, I just did a black diamond trail in my xj with a 4" lift and 31's with my buddy in his tj on 35's... And I lead the trail the entire time and had more fun doing it :) this is just my opinion but im a firm believer that driver expierence out weighs rig size... Someone that can pick their lines and have proper tire placement can go just as far If not further than someone with no expierence and big lift/tires... Just my opinion thou!

thou opinion est incorrect.

please tell me how an XJ with 4" lift and 31"s does this?

20050116145529_P1150026.JPG

4x4_CA_Hammmers_Day_2_Mar_07_063.sized.jpg

4x4_CA_Hammmers_Day_4_Mar_07_007.sized.jpg

more here
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582038

Start with the parts that will work with your end goal.

.......like a cage........

Why go 38's and tons right off the bat? Learn how to wheel a stock rig then jump it up

Learn how to wheel stock? He has the 38's from a previous Toyota build. I know a lot of people with sets of tires and axles and junk from other projects, none of them have yet to wheel.

thou opinion est incorrect.

please tell me how an XJ with 4" lift and 31"s does this?

20050116145529_P1150026.JPG

4x4_CA_Hammmers_Day_2_Mar_07_063.sized.jpg

4x4_CA_Hammmers_Day_4_Mar_07_007.sized.jpg

more here
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582038

Please show me an XJ doing this trail in these pics ;)
Hey I would a least try those trails if i was in a situation to where i had to do it... but I'm smart enough to know when To call it quits... All things aside... I believe Driver expierence is more important than rig compatibility...

Please show me an XJ doing this trail in these pics ;)
Hey I would a least try those trails if i was in a situation to where i had to do it... but I'm smart enough to know when To call it quits... All things aside... I believe Driver expierence is more important than rig compatibility...

Hah well I have seen girls with no experience driving buggys walk trails that required me 3 spotters & triple the time. Either I am retarded or that logic is easily contradicted.

My junk locked on 33's would barley make it 10ft on those trails without getting stuck, even with Chuck Norris driving.

Well I got the long arm on and the 38s has about 5" lift, so its lcg for its size , no rubbing , the tire still drops below the body completely in front while flexed, I need to invest in a limiting strap setup,

I didn't want to do 1 tons because I wanted it to be street legal still ,

I'll get pics up soon ,

And I know people talk crap about the 8.8 factory limited slip , but mine hooks up real good, even with 38s , I let you all know when it fails

Well I got the long arm on and the 38s has about 5" lift, so its lcg for its size , no rubbing , the tire still drops below the body completely in front while flexed, I need to invest in a limiting strap setup,

I didn't want to do 1 tons because I wanted it to be street legal still ,

I'll get pics up soon ,

And I know people talk crap about the 8.8 factory limited slip , but mine hooks up real good, even with 38s , I let you all know when it fails

1 tons aren't street legal? better tell all those guys driving 1 ton trucks then

...but props to you for doing it!
When i read the OP i just assumed you were a big dreamer. Glad you got it all installed. Go out and wheel the hell out of it...if something breaks, post some pics and then fix it :)

Back