• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubicon locker install

Bryan C. said:
That isn't true. The lockers were supposed to default to a limited slip when open, but that is not the case. Every one that I have checked is an open diff when unlocked. Seems that Chrysler only wanted to build one locker that would work in either front or rear.

Bryan has NO idea what he is talking about. Its not like he is has any experience with dealership work.

Seriously now, I agree with him. All the ones I have worked on so far havnt felt like they have a LS. I cant acess my service page from home to find pictures of the two different lockers. Dang greedy dealerships! Monday morning though, I will be looking.

The helical gear type LS's don't have clutch packs. So they don't neccesarily feel like a clutch type LS when spinning by hand. They will spin relatively when there is very little load. I quit the dealer just as the Rubi's came out, so I never got my hands into one. But I have serviced Trutracs, and they also spin freely until they have a load on them.

Hayden said:
In 2003 Dana/Spicer built a new D44 housing for he Jeep Rubicon application. The same housing is used in all the unlimiteds and anyother TJ with a D44 after 03'. If you look at any D44 under a newer Jeep you will notice the flat spots in the casting where the drain plug would be and the sensor location and the air inlet spot. I still say all the housings are the same weather its a rubicon or not.

Hayden

And what about the non-TJ hsgs. then? I agree they're the same between Rubi and non-rubi on 03-up TJ's. I stated so in my first post. The question is did the dimensions change from a pre 03 model TJ, or as the original question stated, an XJ 44.

And do they shim all of them outside the brgs(non rubi TJ's)? That is the difference. On what is considered a normal 44, the shim pack under the brg. is maybe @.050". The rubi hsg. is shimmed outside the brg. The smallest select fit shim in the factory shim set I got was @.125" and ranged up to @.175". Now, there could also be a difference in the width across the journals on the diff itself. But either way, just looking at the shim set it takes to set up the rubi tells you there is a difference somewhere.

Anyone have the inside width of a 44 hsg.(standard)?

Last edited:
explorer said:
The helical gear type LS's don't have clutch packs. So they don't neccesarily feel like a clutch type LS when spinning by hand. They will spin relatively when there is very little load. I quit the dealer just as the Rubi's came out, so I never got my hands into one. But I have serviced Trutracs, and they also spin freely until they have a load on them.

That is exactly what the rear locker is. I have had 2 of them apart. I made 1 good one out of 2 broken ones. Like everyone else i thought the rumor that it was a limited slip was just that, a rumor. Once i actually pulled the cover and inspected I then relized it was a helical gear limited slip, the front is not, its has regular ole spider grears.

hayden

Hayden said:
That is exactly what the rear locker is. I have had 2 of them apart. I made 1 good one out of 2 broken ones. Like everyone else i thought the rumor that it was a limited slip was just that, a rumor. Once i actually pulled the cover and inspected I then relized it was a helical gear limited slip, the front is not, its has regular ole spider grears.

hayden

Notice when I quoted you it had nothing to do with your description of the LS function. I agree with you %100 on the frt./rr. diffs and their differences. What I don't neccessarily agree with you on is that the 03 up housing is the same as the 44 housings that came before that, and in other models. I still think there is a difference. Like I said, the difference in the total shim stack required to fill the gaps between the brgs. and the hsg. indicates there is a difference somewhere. It could be the hsg., the carrier, or both for that matter. But the combination of parts I used, and the shim changes that were needed from the stock config. or the "special" sk47 shim kit indicate that the hsg. was wider than they accounted for with the special shim pack.

Back