• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon bound 16 year old.

wow, not bad kid :clap:

my first truck was a 1978 Chevy Suburban with a 400 small

first thing I did was a 6" suspension lift, a huge(and dangerous) body lift, cheap wheels and 38.5" swampers (the skinny ones)

it did not turn the tires very well so I installed 4.56 gears front and rear

then did a little engine work highly worked heads, big cam, edelbrock intake and 650 carb)

it was a pig and I hated it :)

Looking good!

Out of curiosity, it appears as though there's a switch set into the centre console under the transfer case lever - what's that for?

Nice job man. What's so cool about this is since you're building it with money you're earning on your own, you are going to have so much more respect and appreciation for your XJ. You will take care of it and have much pride in it. Props to your dad for teaching you this lesson. It's something too many of today's youth don't understand and are not learning.

Maybe I missed it, but if you plan to run the Rubicon, I would recommend doing something with your steering.

Either upgrade to something stronger, or carry a spare (or 2) tie-rods. But, really, you should upgrade.

Maybe I missed it, but if you plan to run the Rubicon, I would recommend doing something with your steering.

Either upgrade to something stronger, or carry a spare (or 2) tie-rods. But, really, you should upgrade.

ya im planing on upgrading to the rustys setup eventually. but ill probably bring a spare tie rod with me like you said bc thats a little out of my reach right now.

If you got the tools and skills to build that bumper, you can definitely build your own beefy steering.

If you have access to a lathe of decent size you can make your own drag link and tie rods for a decent price. You will need the taps to thread the tubing or use tubing adapters. You may want to get a pro welder to weld them in for you unless you have some experience.

If you have access to a lathe of decent size you can make your own drag link and tie rods for a decent price. You will need the taps to thread the tubing or use tubing adapters. You may want to get a pro welder to weld them in for you unless you have some experience.

ya i think im fully capable of welding them. and my dads a pro welder. he used to have his own fab shop. so im not to worried about that.

If you got the tools and skills to build that bumper, you can definitely build your own beefy steering.
X2
This is the steering I'm going with. It's nice cause it comes with everything you need. And plenty of beef! At half the cost of currie and other similar set ups.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Steering-Kit-Chevy-Tie-Rod-Ends_p_1338.html

I will be running high steer on mine so I don't have to worry about tie rod roll inherent with the inverted t type steering. But maybe over the knuckle would be enough for you, because you're not at too much lift like I am. Haha

i finally made some progress on my sliders. sorry bout the crappy cell phone pics.

0115112118.jpg

0115112105.jpg
just not enough hours in the day...

Back