• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ, 16” Jeep Icon Rims& Wheel Spacers

Right.

One is not hub-centric and is merely sandwiched between the wheel and the hub mounting surface, which allows for movement and the eventual loosening of the lugnuts. Definity sketchy and should be outlawed.

The other is hub-centric and bolts directly to the factory studs, torqued to factory wheel specs. Then the wheel is bolted to the studs of the spacer and torqued to factory wheel specs. Safe solution that poses little risk when installed properly and all nuts are torqued to spec.

"hub-centric" was the term that evaded me when composing my earlier post but that, to me, means ones with a centre bore which is a snug fit on the raised hub centre. Of course the 3mm & 5mm ones we are still allowed to use are really no more than shims, for where there are minor clearance issues.
The issue with spacers, right from the get go, was not that they were dangerous in the way you describe but simply that they will trash bearing in no time at all. Perhaps, with hindsight, that was scaremongering, as I've never come across a mention of it in connection with Jeeps.

"hub-centric" was the term that evaded me when composing my earlier post but that, to me, means ones with a centre bore which is a snug fit on the raised hub centre. Of course the 3mm & 5mm ones we are still allowed to use are really no more than shims, for where there are minor clearance issues.
The issue with spacers, right from the get go, was not that they were dangerous in the way you describe but simply that they will trash bearing in no time at all. Perhaps, with hindsight, that was scaremongering, as I've never come across a mention of it in connection with Jeeps.

Definitely scare mongering. Maybe a person running 2.5" wheel adapters with 22-24" rims running some donked-out rim/tire combo could experience unit bearing issues, but the 1.25" units that I've run for over 20 years have not caused me to replace unit bearings prematurely. I've got 137k miles on this tire/wheel combo on my current rig and replaced the unit bearings at approx 100k miles.

Last edited:
I think my Hub centric spacers were 1.5 and 2" widths. Also, remember that it was a fad to space out wheels on compact cars with Mcpherson struts. So, that messed with the suspension big time.

This forum would be a lot easier to search if it wasn’t clogged with nonsense posts that are completely off topic, like most of the previous posts here. Thanks to those that actually answered the question.

This forum would be a lot easier to search if it wasn’t clogged with nonsense posts that are completely off topic, like most of the previous posts here. Thanks to those that actually answered the question.

:thumbup:

Back