• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country kit, what's your opinion of the Rough Country kit?

helix said:
whats wrong with rustys? IMO they are just as quality as the RE when it comes to the coils and the leaf springs. The RE just comes with a bit more stuff you need to get seperatly with the rustys.

im tired of people bashing rustys. they dont know. they dont run rustys.

if you need to bash somthing please bash RC or $kycrapper

No I'll bash Rustys thanks, I live an hour from Rusty and spoken to him face to face and I also have had his 4.5" kit.

I mean we can argue over quality all day long, but the bottom line is IF/WHEN you add everything to Rustys kit that comes in the RE kit it will cost the same amount as the RE so its not cheaper, then why even bother with his stuff?

Rustys coils are nice and alot of people like his leafsprings. His control arms suck, especially his stock bushings he uses and his trackbar and HD mount both are awful. I couldn't even bolt the mount up to my XJ the holes were so far off. Some people like most of his stuff, I don't. I used both and prefer to go RE, I have not had 1 single issue. If Rustys was the only lift company I'd stay stock.

Maybe I was unlucky and got a few bad parts at one time, but the fact still remains it didn't happen with my new lift.

The RC kits do ride rough but I like that after all the xj is not a car. I like the way it feels on the road and it handles corners well. My xj is not my DD maybe that makes a difference. My coils held up well at the onset I netted over 4 in. and after 4 years they are still almost at 3 in.. In the rear I did not use the blocks instead I used the short aal and I also used a longer leaf from set of xj springs that I had laying around. That netted me about 4.5 at the start and they are still at 3.75. I am in the process of collecting what I need for the upgrade to 4.5 in. lift. I like the RC coils and I will be using them, I will be building my own rear pack. Rc has a weak tb bracket I dont recomend them. I made my own adj. control arms and I will build my own tb bracket and tc drop kit. If you are not going to use a rear sway bar I think it is a good idea to have a stiffer set of springs to help reduce the amount of body roll for the sake of safety. You dont want to flip your heep at 65mph trust me, I know.
I think all lift kits have both good and bad points, that is why I chose to mix and match. Just because you spend more $ on something does not make it a better product. If you cant build it yourself then you have to buy it. If you shop around you can get great deals. Take your time and do it right the first time.

Last edited:
installed a RC 4.5 with AAL..over all happy with lift. i am about 5.25 in front a 4 in rear. I do need new leafs for the rearleaf packs going on after holidays

I have their 3" kit - I got it through JC Whitney about 3 years ago and it came with shocks, the 3" coils, add-a-leafs, and 1" blocks which the instructions said were optional/necessitated SYE etc.

Since then I added 1.75" coil spacers in front and 1.5" lift shackles for a total of 4.75" in front and 5.5" in back.

I've been happy. It flexes well and seems to ride fine. No issues with 32" x 10.50 Swamper TSLs.

I haven't had major vibe issues even though no SYE, but the one thing that I really had to improve was the trackbar. A freind gave me his RE extreme duty trackbar when he sold his XJ. I will definately say that the RE stuff is top notch. I've seen and had other trackbars fail. RE has been rock solid.

yeah i have that exact same kit with teraflex spacers and shackles. i think its a good kit as long as your not going o do any crazy wheeling. i have 33 x 12.50's. so yeah what i haev noticed is that you will spend just as much money or more when you get the RE or the RC because the RC doesnt come with upper control arms, sway bar disconnects, extended brakelines. youll spend just as much money if not more if you buy them with a kit or separetly. also you will prolly have to get a cv and slip yoke kit. cause the t case drop kinda does it but lots of people will say its a " bandaid". hope this helped.
-Ryan

I havent had an issue yet with rustys.. Ive been running his stuff for over 2 years and nothing has broke or sagged beyond what is expected for all lift springs

I was somewhat skeptical about Rusty's stuff when I installed his 4.5" lift on my xj, but to date have not had a single problem. And after running a recent trail that beat the dog crap out of my jeep, I would reccomend Rusty's stuff to anybody.

the question was about RC not Rustys...there are already dozens of threads out there about the damn rustys kithasta ....can we let it go? please? at least till he comes out with some new stuff.

I was running the kit in question, and the leaf spring packs I recieved were not identical, and led to a bad lean.

everything else was/is good. didnt need brake lines, didn't need an sye, bought an anti-swaybar disconnect, and tryed to correct the lean by adjusting the anti swaybar end links, didnt work, now i don't even run a swaybar.

bottom line, I bought the kit, installed the kit, and have run 33x12.50s with no swaybar as a dd for over a year. It leans, but flexes well, and was a pretty good deal overall.......but I can't wait to go bigger

I have a friend that purchased the RC 6.5 and loves it. It is a nice budget set up and flexes great out here in the Arizona rocks. I would look at Rusty's Off Road 6.5 inch lift. It is a lot better and more reputable lift for only $100 more.

I have the 6.5" rough country lift and love it. It sits nice and has for six months, actually sits aboput 1.5" higher in the rear flexes out really well and has got me where I need to go. As for shipping order it through jc whitney when they are running shipping deals. I got mine when the were offering the 15 % discount on orders over 200$ which covered the shipping.

I have been dealing with rough country for about 2 years now and their service had been great. All of the parts I have ever ordered have been top quality parts that never need modification to fit them in. I have just completed my 6.5 inch roughcountry lift with 2.5 inch skyjackers spacers and everything fit pretty good. If you know what you are doing you should have no problems with this lift except the instructions are i little hard to follow.

I've got a 4.5" RC lift on my 01 XJ. New springs all around with shocks, lower control arms, sway bar drop bracket, and brake line relocation brackets for $550 with free shipping. In reality its' closer to 5". Been running 32x11.50, but with more fender trimming in the rear I could run 35's. I've had the lift on there for a little over two years and the springs have barely settled at all. Oh, by the way it does ride like driving a covered wagon on a cobble stone road. But that can be fixed with new shocks. I 'm really happy with the way it flex s'. Heck my front springs drop so far that the only thing keeping them from falling out are the bump stops. Don't buy skyjerker extended brake lines. I had one explode on a down hill trip: nearly lost my jeep. Go with Rusty s' brake lines they are much longer and built better. I've also got Rusty s trac bar drop bracket and have had no problems out of it.

I have ran the 4.5 from RC and I liked it fine. Flex was good , ride was rough. Seems like I have read that before? :rtm: I bent a few parts and service was good when parts were in stock. For comparisons sake I have also ran the 4.5 Rustys. Ride was better and flex was better, probobly due to spring packs instead of AAL and Shackles. Overall I enjoyed both kits.
I loved the response that stated if Rusty's was the only lift made he would stay stock. Bull$#@%$. We would all be using Rustys and still be lifting our xj's. If RC was the only lift made, we'd all be using RC. and so forth.

RE actaully uses the same spring manufacturer as Rustys so they are essentailly the same springs for less. RE was having problems with their spring supplier a while back and asked rustys who they used.

Back