• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Build

BTaylor

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well it's finally began. I asked a lot of opinions recently as I had originally just planned on throwing the cheapest lift and tires on it possible just to have something to play with but soon changed my mind. While some of you may have done things differently, I went with what I thought was the best setup for myself.

A little background. This was my moms XJ that I found for her a while back as she needed something reliable and 4wd on a budget, found this clean 2 owner with 170k for $3200.

Long story short, someone pulled out in front of her a year later and did a little front end damage, nothing major. Front bumper, fender, grill, some busted turn signal lenses. The insurance company ended up totaling it out. I buy it back for $495 (Actually didnt' have anything out of pocket, recently purchased new bedroom furniture and spent enough money that we received a free 50" LCD and Blu Ray player so I just traded her that for the Jeep). Forgot to add, the insurance company never did anything with the title so I have a clean title in my name.

So I buy new lenses, pull the fender out by hand and drive it home. Found out after that drive the radiator was also damaged and had a small leak, so I put a new radiator in it. Since then, no issues at all other than a dead battery. Total out of pocket $270. That brings us up to yesterday!

Things to get it all started:

4.5" Rough Country X-Series lift $830 shipped - http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-633xn2.html

Came with a few extra things that I'd end up needing to purchase very soon so I figured it was worth saving the extra money up front.

15x8 4" BS Cragar D Windows (5) - eBay from Summit for $290 shipped

33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar

Ended up getting these from 4wd.com for like $1175~ish shipped

Rough Country Steering Stabilizer is on the way, and I'm on the hunt for a SYE.. then bumpers are next.

Started on it yesterday.. really happy with the quality of the parts and the fitment of everything so far. The only things we have left to do at the moment is the rear shocks and rear brake lines. The rear shocks have been replaced some time before, they didn't do a very good job with the top bolts and we're having some problems getting them out. We have one more idea before we have to resort to cutting a couple holes in the hatch.

Once we get that all sorted out we'll probably go ahead and pull whats left of the bottom of the front bumper and trim the front fenders today.

Last edited:
Thanks man.

Any thoughts on running a SYE along with the tcase drop? I went ahead and put the drop in but plan on getting a SYE in the near future, just wasn't sure if there were any issues with having both.

no need to have both, go with the SYE and ditch the drop. SYE w/ a front drive shaft in the rear and you are good to go...same u joints, can be swapped in time of need, only carry one extra shaft that can be used either place.....it i snot too difficult of an install either. It is a 6 pack job.

Cheese "maybe a 12 pack job depending on the company" Man

Everything's finished now, we managed to get them out, some needed cut off but didnt have to hack up anything.

Steering stabilizer will be here this week and will go in this weekend, then we'll trim the fenders. I gotta figure out what to do with the fenders after trimming.. saw where some guys use some sort of door sill? Figured I'd just try to find some kind of rhino liner in a can or something as I'll be needing to do something with the rears afterwards as well.

Also... anyone have experience with the IRO Hack n Tap SYE? Good or no? Looks like a lot of guys have ran it with no issues.

I installed the IRO hack n tap on my xj last weekend. Haven't had a good chance to really put it to the test but im impressed so far and the install was pretty easy.

I might go that route then, I'll do a little more reading up on it first.

Any ideas for what to do with the fenders after we trim them?

or you can go to an upholstery shop and get a box of trim lock. I did that on many sets of fenders. def helps with slicing your tires with a raw fender edge....unless you are properly bump stopped...with about 98% of the MWC can't spell bump stop, let alone tell you about them :D

Cheese "I sliced a lot of tires" Man

^^^^HAHAHAHA!

I've folded over the edge before, takes a bit of work to make it look good but it's what I do on one's I don't run a flare.

Found a decent looking wheel well molding some guys have used called ProtektoTrim by Cowles Products, ordered that last night so we'll give it a shot.

I put door edge guard on the fenders with a very tough glue i have here at my job. for the rear i just primed and painted.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I just can't seem to figure it out..

I think I'm going to go with the HD SYE Kit from IRO rather than the Hack-n-Tap.. my question is, do I HAVE to locate a front driveshaft and use it in order for it to work? I know you guys have said to pick one up and I'll be able to use it as a spare for both the front and back.. Again, sorry if this comes off as a dumb question. Still reading and learning about these things every day, I'm a fast car guy lol

Another thing, to my understanding the main reason for the SYE is to fix drivetrain vibrations? If I'm not getting much, if any, could this be something I put off til later this summer? I'd rather spend the money towards a front bumper and rear recovery point at the moment. I have the t-case drop that can be a current temp fix to hold me over until the SYE happens.

For me an SYE was to get rid of the slip joint at the case and have it in the shaft its self. Nothing worse then your shaft slipping out mid climb and getting bent...

They help with vibes, help with strength and angle. The reason to run a front as they are already built and not $400 for a brand new shop built one. Do it now and forget about it.

Ah see I was unsure whether or not it would come out, guess thats definitely something to do sooner rather than later. Is the front and rear the same length then? Or would I have to pick up a front before even doing the SYE?

On another note, got the steering stabilizer in today.. what a PAIN the upper bolt was, that thing was stuck like no other. It took a lot of hammering along with A LOT of heat from the torch to finally get the damn thing out, install other than that was a breeze. I also trimmed the front fenders today and removed the rear flares in preparation for the cut and fold on those.. then it's a waiting game until I am able to get either the bumper or SYE on the way... SYE is needed for sure but as of now I have zero recovery points.

Back