• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country drop bracket install w/ pics

I had a set of those Control arm drop brackets and removed them about six months after installing them and went with rubicon express extended control arms. If any of you go rock crawling or do some serious offroading I seriously discourage you from using them for two main reason. Added stress on stock control arm brackets resulting in broken welds and loss of ground clearance. These bracket bang on everything your front tire goes over and act like a big ancor.

These brackets were just released last week. How can you have had them 6 months ago? If you are going to bash a product, that's your prerogative, but please make sure you are bashing the correct product.

Chad29860 said:
I had a set of those Control arm drop brackets and removed them about six months after installing them and went with rubicon express extended control arms. If any of you go rock crawling or do some serious offroading I seriously discourage you from using them for two main reason. Added stress on stock control arm brackets resulting in broken welds and loss of ground clearance. These bracket bang on everything your front tire goes over and act like a big ancor.

And it will fold like a taco?
Dude time to look, an read what your saying....... :looser:

Daedalus454 said:
These brackets were just released last week. How can you have had them 6 months ago? If you are going to bash a product, that's your prerogative, but please make sure you are bashing the correct product.

He is not bashing RC, he is bashing the design of the brackets themselves!! :doh: Drop brackets have been out for quite a while! He is right about the brackets banging and getting caught!! Take a really good look at how far the damn things hang down! This is just one of the drawbacks but so what, if they work for ya then great! :peace:

I have done a lot of research on drop brackets, and asked a lot of questions about them. There were only 2 out of a boat load of people that said they didn't like them. They also said that they didn't really bang on much, unless you are doing a great deal of rock crawling!

I was not bashing the Rough Country drop brackets. I use alot of Rough Country parts. But they are alittle behind in the lift department. I had the Trail Master drop brackets installed four years ago on my 89 Cherokee and they were taken off shortly after being installed. I do, do alot of rock crawling and that is why i didnt like them. They bang on everything and catch every obsticle you try going over. And if they work for you that is great I was just voicing my opinion so that anyone else that may be planning to do some hardcore offroading like I do dont make the same costly mistake that I did.

Well, Rough Country made "my " drop brackets out of titaniummolycadiumbenozictrifectarded and it is supposed to not cause any problems..EVER! The special impregniated polyresinteflontarded coating will help the brackets slide off of the rocks when I decide to do "hardcore offroading". :D

yawn...yawn....

Mine only sees rocks maybe a couple times a year.... most of the time its a DD, and trail/mud rig. I love the rocks, just not alot of rocks in Southwest Arkansas, NE Texas. Plus I am on 35's so if mine scrape, then it was probably my fault for not picking a better line.

XJ&TJ4ME said:
Well, Rough Country made "my " drop brackets out of titaniummolycadiumbenozictrifectarded and it is supposed to not cause any problems..EVER! The special impregniated polyresinteflontarded coating will help the brackets slide off of the rocks when I decide to do "hardcore offroading". :D

yawn...yawn....

That was supposed to be a secret shhhhhhhhh:eyes:

I've been running drop brackets for 4 years and I have never been hung-up on the rocks because of the brackets. I have probably draged them over the rocks a few times but I drag the LCA's over the rocks much more than the brackets. It has never been an issue for me, and rocks is mostly all I do.

Agreed. If you pick good lines and keep your tires on top of the rocks, it's not an issue. Sure I smack my Trailmasters on occasion, but it's never gotten me stuck.

I've had them on two different Jeeps in the past several years. Ran the Rubicon twice, Moab three times, Calico, Johnson Valley. Granted, these places don't have that many rocks. :)

you have to use these with straight lca's right? I have rusty's fixed lower lca's and they're j shaped.

you can use either arm as far as I know. The bend in the arm does not make the arm measure any different from center to center of the mounting holes.

6" It seems like the bend would cause the lowest part of the lca to be lower than the drop bracket. I wonder if they could be flipped upside down? I'll have to look in the morning.

How do you figure what length to set the arms at?

Jason, I got my drop brackets today, but not the brake lines. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. I will post pics after we install them this weekend. They are beefy and I can't wait to get them on the Jeep!!

Back