• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing with 32-33s

There's a reason that almost every vehicle you get into spins at about 2250rpm on the highway. When you're covering that much ground and spending a lot your time on the highway, it's not good for everything to be spinning so fast. It's good that you somehow know that the 4.0 "likes" revving that high all the time on the highway but that's what 3rd gear is for. If you need more power then it downshifts in order to give it to you then shift back into a normal rpm range for highway cruising.

And like I said before, if you don't spend much time on the highway then it doesn't matter, but for a DD that spends the majority of its time on the highway then that's not desirable. Start reading the thread and paying attention to what's best for the OP instead of telling him what YOU would do.

maybe most mid size vehicles run at that RPM, but ive been in trucks that run at 1800 on the freeway and in cars that run at 3400. even my brothers toyota V6 runs close to 3000.

im going to have to disagree here. yes the vehicle was designed to run at a certain RPM range in stock form. meaning they likely took into account a lot of variables such as weight, power, RPM, aerodynamics, gearing etc. but once a vehicle is modified, i dont think the same parameters apply. so it will then be simply what works best. and why is spinning 2700 RPM not good? i would rather be barely touching the throttle at 2500-2700 RPM than bogging a bit at 2200. throttle position is more important than RPM with regards to gas mileage. so more power under your foot and better mileage, i think that would be better for everyone, no?

and you said that 2700 RPM is not desirable, to who? YOU! obviously there are those that like being in that range.

There's a reason that almost every vehicle you get into spins at about 2250rpm on the highway. When you're covering that much ground and spending a lot your time on the highway, it's not good for everything to be spinning so fast. It's good that you somehow know that the 4.0 "likes" revving that high all the time on the highway but that's what 3rd gear is for. If you need more power then it downshifts in order to give it to you then shift back into a normal rpm range for highway cruising.

And like I said before, if you don't spend much time on the highway then it doesn't matter, but for a DD that spends the majority of its time on the highway then that's not desirable. Start reading the thread and paying attention to what's best for the OP instead of telling him what YOU would do.
I can tell from driving my XJ on the highway that the 4.0 does perfectly fine cruising at 2700. I can tell from having read the experiences of many others in the almost daily, "What gears for x tires?" threads.

Every vehicle is different. A Corvette cruises at about 1200rpm at highway. A Mazda RX-8 cruises at 3000rpm at 55-60. My 94 Geo Tracker cruised at around 2500+ on the highway. My Ford Focus cruised pretty close to 3000. Or at least it sounded awfully busy under there (Ford saw fit not to outfit my stickshift with a tach). My 73 Ford sounds like it's spinning well above 2000 at 60. And that's with a big block 390. The Mazda3 cruises at about 2000-2200, IIRC. This is all personal experience, except the Vette. I just recall what the magazines have claimed regarding it.

Maybe you should take your own advice: I've stated in just about every post I've made in this thread that my XJ is my DD, and I've driven plenty on the highway. Anywhere I go is on the highway. The main road through town (29 Palms/Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley) is a 65mph highway. All the roads leading out from my house are 55mph.

My advice is what I believe is in the OP's best interests, based on my experience DD'ing and driving on the highway. If he's paying to regear his current axles, the best way is the way that doesn't risk you spending the money twice. Gearing is expensive. If he carries any kind of loads or plans on towing, or any of that, he'll be happier with deeper gears. If he plans on going 33s later, he'll be happier with deeper gears. If his driving involves any hills, he'll be happier with deeper gears. Off-road, period, he'll be happier with deeper gears.

If you're like Flexd, and got a good deal on axles already geared to 4.10/4.11, then by all means run it. You can always regear later if the need arises. But why spend $300+ per axles on labor and $100+ per axle on gears to end up with a less than ideal setup?

When looking at gearing think about the effective gear ratio.
I'm running 35s with 4.88 gears, but the effective ratio is 3.97, which is good for a DD that has bumpers,
winch, sliders and skid plates.
The effective ratio, is the stock tire height divided by the new tire height, times the differential ratio.

In my case. 28.29/34.8 x 4.88 = 3.967 rounded up=3.97

28.29 is the height of a 225x75r15, 34.8 is the height of the 35 inch KM2s.

At 70 MPH with my 5 speed I'm turning 2606 RPMs, with an AW4 the RPMs would be 2474, either of those
are good for a heavier XJ.

Last edited:
For me, 4.56's and a 5 spd on 32's works great as a DD / Weekend trail rig. At 65 mph, I'm spinnng about 2700 rpm....nice power sweet spot.

I would say that 4.11's would be a waste....

Have to agree with Ivan...
With a 5 speed and 32s; the 4.56s are perfect to use in a DD and weekend trail rig although the addition of a TeraLo 4:1 certainly is a plus on the trail.

33's on stock gears blows! I'm planning on going to 4.56 on mine, with the AW4. I've chosen the 4.56s mostly because I'm swapping in a Toyota 8.4 & ive got a line on 3rd members that came stock with 4.56s. I'm gonna pull the front driveline & see how I like the setup before dropping money to have the front matched up.

Back