• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing with 32-33s

Absolutely correct. I'm just saying that the ratio will be factory, if you want more power then go lower. But then again I'm running 33x10.50's A/T's on a fairly light rig so 4.10's are perfect for me.

I'd say it boils down to personal preference and rig style, I don't think you'd be too disappointed with 4.10's or 4.56's.

Ok I'm confused, you just agreed with me. Are we stupid together?

Mine always did :dunno:
Numerically, you'll be back to stock, but you will not be back to stock power levels.

It's a nice chart, but pay attention to this:
"These calculations are assuming a manual transmission with a 1:1 ratio."

...which is 3rd gear on a AW4.
The ideal gear ratio for an AW4 in 4th gear with 32's is actually about 4.27:1, which they don't make. So you can either overgear it with 4.56's or undergear it with 4.11's.

Since you'll probably go to 33's some day, it just doesn't make sense to undergear it with 4.11's now.

find your transmissions gear ratios:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmission_gateway.htm

manually plug in the information here:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

youll get a lot more accurate idea of what youll be running. i did this with my AX15 in different gears at different speeds to get a full idea of the spectrum of speeds each gear would be pulling.

4.11's aren't "undergeared" for 33's. They're almost spot on the factory ratio. So if you're happy with power and acceleration with stock gearing, then stick to 4.11's. Not to mention it sounds like you value your fuel economy, which staying close to stock gearing will help with too. 4.56's wouldn't kill your gas mileage, nor would 4.11's kill your power, but 4.56's would be too deep for YOUR purposes. Especially if you'll more than likely stick to 32's :cheers:

Wrong. Who cares about factory ratio? Obviously 'factory specs' aren't good enough for anyone here or we wouldn't mod anything.

I drive my jeep around on 3.55's and 32's (auto) for a while and it sucked. Regeared to 4.56 and LOVED it. I drove a ton of highway miles on that combo. My gf lived over an hour away, so I spend a lot of time on the DC beltway running back and forth, always doing 75-80 mph with that combo. You definitely have all the low end power/torque you could ever want, yet the rpms aren't insane when going highway speeds. Plus its a great combo for offroading, really slows you down in 4Lo and makes the jeep not so jerky. Those gears would probably be great for 33's as well.

When I regeared to 4.56, I told myself I would never go over a 3" lift and 33's. Now I'm at about 5" and 35's wishing I had 4.88's. Regearing is expensive (I've done both axles twice, broke both ring gears) so do it right the first time.

factory ratio wont chirp tires, or lift the nose 6" under hard accel..... not interested in factory ratio's.

we regear for a reason, and it aint to recover stock driving characteristics....

But you also do different stuff than the OP, JS rigs and DD's are two completely different setups. I for one don't want to be running 3k RPM's down the interstate at 70! I also fill it full of stuff, tow trailers with it and wheel it. If i plan on going big, i'm planning on bigger axles.

I have a renix 4.0 aw4 with some mods to open things up and have been very satisfied with it. My xj is an 87 on 31" bfgs and 3.55s. I'm staying on 31s since its DD and have been debating on doing 4.10s since I'm setting up the rear end again and planning to swap for a new d30 anyway. So far I've found I perfer tall gearing and my 4.0 doesn't seem to like to rev without much extra throttle when I can let it upshift and will pull better with less throttle. Since then I've bored the TB to a standard 60mm and it seems to rev easier but also powers through loads better. I've decided to stay on 3.55s to avoid the extra work while I think I would perfer the stock gears more. Also it smokes 4cyl cars and hangs with 200hp~ v6 cars all day long. So I'm satisfied with that lol. I eventually want to run a set a stock tires to see the difference since I bought my jeep with 31s

But you also do different stuff than the OP, JS rigs and DD's are two completely different setups. I for one don't want to be running 3k RPM's down the interstate at 70! I also fill it full of stuff, tow trailers with it and wheel it. If i plan on going big, i'm planning on bigger axles.

Very true. It gets noisy with the cowl intake whistling like a turbo and the motor roaring through the uninsulated firewall at 3k which my motor rarely sees under normal driving. I get an anxiety attack trying to cruise in 3rd down the highway to see the power difference.

Towing trailers and hauling heavy gear is another great reason to go to 4.56's. You don't want to be going down the highway in 3rd gear, then your engine will really be screamin and heating up.

I DD mine, rockcrawl, trailride, and pretend to be a Jeepspeeder, and I love my 4.88s w/33s. 3k rpms isn't a problem. My Jeep runs about 2700 at 70 and it stays cool, has great power, etc. Also, why would you want to gear for less power when you plan on loading it down and towing? That's counterproductive. You'll be forcing your rig to work harder for no reason.

Trust me, lower is better. Would I lead you astray? ;)

Wrong. Who cares about factory ratio? Obviously 'factory specs' aren't good enough for anyone here or we wouldn't mod anything.

Wrong? I'm sure the factory cares about the factory ratio, and I'm sure they're a lot more knowledgeable than you. The factory ratio IS good enough, it's perfect for the purpose it serves. It allows plenty of power and still be able to be at normal RPM's on the highway while still using a 4 speed transmission. There are lots of other things on XJ's that can be modded with virtually no downsides, but the final gear ratio is a compromise of how much RPM you want to sacrifice on the highway. Which may be fine for a trail rig that doesn't see much highway, but I don't think it's a good idea for a DD. But that's a separate argument.

Let's not forget that this is the OP's DAILY DRIVER and he only wants to go to 32's, 33's max. If he changes his mind down the road and has to regear again then that's on him. But for now the question is, are 4.10's adequate for 32's and the answer is quite simply, yes.

Wrong? I'm sure the factory cares about the factory ratio, and I'm sure they're a lot more knowledgeable than you. The factory ratio IS good enough, it's perfect for the purpose it serves. It allows plenty of power and still be able to be at normal RPM's on the highway while still using a 4 speed transmission. There are lots of other things on XJ's that can be modded with virtually no downsides, but the final gear ratio is a compromise of how much RPM you want to sacrifice on the highway. Which may be fine for a trail rig that doesn't see much highway, but I don't think it's a good idea for a DD. But that's a separate argument.

Let's not forget that this is the OP's DAILY DRIVER and he only wants to go to 32's, 33's max. If he changes his mind down the road and has to regear again then that's on him. But for now the question is, are 4.10's adequate for 32's and the answer is quite simply, yes.
I DD on 4.88s and 33s. you telling me that it doesn't work? 2700 rpm on the highway is not a bad thing. It keeps you in the power band, and the 4.0 would actually prefer to rev a little than to be bogged down. The factory ratio is great for factory setups, but you keep forgetting that the instant you go to bigger tires, you're changing more than just final drive ratios. Weight increase, rolling and wind resistance increase, leverage changes, making it harder to turn the tire even with a factory matched ratio. You don't want to match the factory ratio. You want to go a little deeper in order to make up for all of that.

The factory ratio is perfect... for taking middle aged women to the grocery store during inclement weather and for taking middle aged guys to work in their awesome SUV. That's all well and good.

Apparently you didn't read the rest of my post. I had 4.56's and 32s for at least 2 years. Tons of highway driving. It was my only vehicle for 6 months when I commuted 30 miles each way to work, mostly highway. That's with a no-slip locker in the rear too. I towed a wave runner a bunch. Went snowboarding a few times, 4-5 hour drives with 4 people and all our gear through the mountains. Drove 6+ hours to the Outer Banks a few times. The gears were great for all conditions, and I was never spinning 3k rpm's or whatever you're thinking. I just don't think 4.10s would have been enough gear for all that. Just like now how my 4.56's aren't enough gear for 35's, on or off road.

4.10's might be adequate for 32's and maybe 33's (on the computer and in calculations), but it's definitely not ideal in the real world. I'm not webwheeling here, believe me.

What is wrong with all of you? Stock 3.55's perfect for 32's I run them all day long it heats up on hills, it accelerates like a grandma driving an old caddy, it sucks gas like a (insert gross comment here), and I love it everyday as a daily driver.

Honestly I would regear to 4.56's better to be a little over then go under and not like it however 4.10's would work with the 32's no problem it just may not give the exact results you want but then again neither will 4.56's.

Disclaimer: This information provided by me is in no way a professional statement in fact you should disregard all of it because I dont know what the f*** I am talking about most of the time thank you and have a great day :patriot:

You will spend at least $1000 regearing. 4.10 gears have been in at least 1 xj in every junk yard I've ever been to. For $400 you can buy a pair of bolt in axles and try them out. If they aren't low enough, sell them and regear.

You will spend at least $1000 regearing. 4.10 gears have been in at least 1 xj in every junk yard I've ever been to. For $400 you can buy a pair of bolt in axles and try them out. If they aren't low enough, sell them and regear.
as long as you get your money back , that sounds good to me!

I've got a 4.0, AW4 and went originally with 32's and 4.56s. Going up to 33's made me wish I had gone to 4.88's!

4.11s are excused if you are doing a Junk Yard swap. My buddy put them in his XJ running a 4.0, 5 spd manual and 30's. He regularly commutes cross country and loves the combo.

Factory ratio doesn't mean all that much. Consider a TJ on 27's and a 5 spd came with 2 gearing options: (grocery getter) 3.07 or (respectable) 3.73 gears. Put 3.73 rather than 3.07 in that trusty calculator and see what it says.

I ran 31's on 3.55's for over 2 years.
-Power was ok at best, horrible on hills, and really sad around town. Mpg was good on the freeway. 18-19.
-Low range was not low enough

I've now had 4.56's on 32's for one year, 10,000 miles.
-It took me 4 months to track down a vibration exasperated by the faster spinning drivelines.
-Around town, it's prefect OD locks up at 37 mph.
-Highway, mpg went down.
-It simply doesn't get the 20 mpg some guys claim they get on 35's and 4.88's.
Try 16-17. Maybe it's the ethanol, cold weather, or sea-side area I live?
-It has ton of power passing, and acceleration in overdrive. I can drive 250 miles to the bay area, and downshift a minimal amount of times. (On the steepest hills)

I DD mine, rockcrawl, trailride, and pretend to be a Jeepspeeder, and I love my 4.88s w/33s. 3k rpms isn't a problem. My Jeep runs about 2700 at 70 and it stays cool, has great power, etc. Also, why would you want to gear for less power when you plan on loading it down and towing? That's counterproductive. You'll be forcing your rig to work harder for no reason.

Trust me, lower is better. Would I lead you astray? ;)

Yeah you make a good point but I already have the 4.10's and an 8.8 with 4.10's. I failed to consider the whole trailering part of the equation!:doh: I have some plans for the front so maybe when I do that I'll go with 4.56's when that happens. I'm thinking away from a D30! :D

Disclaimer: This information provided by me is in no way a professional statement in fact you should disregard all of it because I dont know what the f*** I am talking about most of the time thank you and have a great day :patriot:
Hahaha, 32's with 3.55's sucks!!!!!

I DD on 4.88s and 33s. you telling me that it doesn't work? 2700 rpm on the highway is not a bad thing. It keeps you in the power band, and the 4.0 would actually prefer to rev a little than to be bogged down. The factory ratio is great for factory setups, but you keep forgetting that the instant you go to bigger tires, you're changing more than just final drive ratios. Weight increase, rolling and wind resistance increase, leverage changes, making it harder to turn the tire even with a factory matched ratio. You don't want to match the factory ratio. You want to go a little deeper in order to make up for all of that.

There's a reason that almost every vehicle you get into spins at about 2250rpm on the highway. When you're covering that much ground and spending a lot your time on the highway, it's not good for everything to be spinning so fast. It's good that you somehow know that the 4.0 "likes" revving that high all the time on the highway but that's what 3rd gear is for. If you need more power then it downshifts in order to give it to you then shift back into a normal rpm range for highway cruising.

And like I said before, if you don't spend much time on the highway then it doesn't matter, but for a DD that spends the majority of its time on the highway then that's not desirable. Start reading the thread and paying attention to what's best for the OP instead of telling him what YOU would do.

Back