• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear diff making noise..

jccinohio

NAXJA Forum User
I get a clunk every now and again (not u-joint) and it's making a growling that gets worse with speed.. It's a Dana 35 on a '97 xj.. It's not the original as I swapped it maybe 80k ago with a junk yard pull..

Jeep is just my hunting/fishing, taking dogs on walks, and going to Lowe's.. so don't need anything fancy.

What are my options for either rebuilding, or getting another one (are there other axles that are direct bolt up)?

Thanks

Only direct bolt in is another 35. If it's the wheel bearing they aren't hard to change. If it's not a daily change the fluid to 80-140 it will probably last longer than the body in ohio.

Only direct bolt in is another 35. If it's the wheel bearing they aren't hard to change. If it's not a daily change the fluid to 80-140 it will probably last longer than the body in ohio.

I may give that a try.. Though I just got done getting the rust somewhat under control.. she's looking pretty good now..

There are still good XJ Cherokee parts at the junk yard, you could buy at least 3 used axles for the cost of a rebuild.

A Chrysler 8.25 from an XJ Cherokee will bolt in, and be a better axle.

There are still good XJ Cherokee parts at the junk yard, you could buy at least 3 used axles for the cost of a rebuild.

A Chrysler 8.25 from an XJ Cherokee will bolt in, and be a better axle.

Is it a direct bolt in? Or have to cut/weld/etc? What should I pay for a used axle? I think the last one was $300 or thereabouts.

Will directly bolt to the leaf spring but the driveshaft is different, that why I said the 35 was the only direct replacement. Also the abs question is valid because abs is only on the 35.

Well, then if you want to keep them or you are required to keep them functional due to state inspection requirements then you either have to fix your 35 or get another junkyard 35. There is a rumor that you can still retain functional abs somehow with a ford 9 inch but then you are getting way out of the cheap and easy realm.

Cool, thanks. I actually still have my old Dana 35, though water got it in over the last probably 8 years since I took it out. I may try opening it and see what shape it's in. Then rebuild it myself (I'm pretty handy). And use the thicker gear oil till then. I always get a nagging feeling buying certain junk yard parts as I just don't know what they've been through.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind getting rid of the abs.. and maybe even going to disk.. but cost is a factor right now..

So I tried the thicker gear oil for a few days. Syphoned off the oil I put in only 2 months ago and it was pretty black, added new 80-140.. Still was making too much noise for my comfort so got another rear end and dropped the one that was in. Pulled off the cover and there was quite a bit of metal particles floating in the oil, looked like silver glitter. Still haven't pulled it apart to see where the metal came from, will after I get the 'new' differential in.

Back