• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential questions...

jccinohio

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep came with a limited slip Dana 35, but I noticed some of a tooth or two on the ring gear were broken off so I just swapped axles with an open Dana 35 from a salvage yard.

Now my swapped rear end is making a lot of noise. I've found another Dana 35 for a reasonable price. All 3 are 3.55.

I still have my original axle, though it's a little rusty inside as it's been outside.

Questions..

Is it just the carrier that makes it limited slip?

If so, if I can clean up the old limited slip carrier can I put it in the 'new' axle (swap ring/pinion), or are the internals different and a LSD won't fit in an open pumpkin?

Thanks

It's just the case but you would need to rebuild the clutch pack.

Lsd will fit in any 35, but I will tell you the clutch packs are a serious pain to replace! And you will have to re do all your lash and everything if you change the carrier into another axle so you might as well do a total axle rebuild if you choose to go that way.

The build sheet for my original diff says "DSAP Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle"

Does this mean it's Trac Loc? Or just limited slip? Trac loc isn't mentioned in my build sheet.

Same thing!

Back