• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE drop brackets

i think it moves 1/2" inch foward and 4" inch down, but its a good idea to have Adjustable LCA and UCA so that you adjust your pinion and caster angle.

My friend is using the stock control arms and other than the extra flex of the stock arms (going to be changed soon) he has no problems.--------Kyle

Does RE offer adj. lowers? The 5.5 RE HD kit comes with the same control arms as the 4.5 kit (fixed) so if your running these I think you'll be fine. I believe upper adj. arms allow you to get the proper caster but adj. lowers aren't necessary.

Correct me if I'm wrong....

btray

Yes RE does offer adj. lowers, I have the RD 5.5XD short arm kit with DB's, adj uppers and fixed lowers. It took me nearly a year to get my caster where I wanted it. Specially with the 242T/C. If I was you I would get adj uppers and lowers, wished I did, now that I look back at it. Would have made life easier, plus would have had the option to adjust my wheel base also.

Must just be me, but I can't see...

#1 - the appeal of drop brackets that will get hung up on everything offroad

#2 - The advantage of long arms on an XJ period. On a TJ, where you'd have both fronts and rears - yes... but on an XJ, no gain IMHO.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with your project. :)

There are many guys who run drop brackets and don't have many problems with getting hung up. I haven't had any problems but I honestly haven't got out enough. I can't comment on longarms though but I will be able to soon as I see my friends cherokee in action.-----Kyle

Sterling90XJ said:

#2 - The advantage of long arms on an XJ period. On a TJ, where you'd have both fronts and rears - yes... but on an XJ, no gain IMHO.

#1 yes they do get hung-up but not as bad as you would think.

#2 Longarms have a many advantages over short arms. Better ride, more suspension travel, etc. , granted I do max out my shocks with DB's and short arms.

If you search around here enough you find threads that cover this debate, from beginning to end and everywhere in between.

bigwhitey said:
If I use RE drop brackets do I have to have longer lower and upper control arms or do the mounting points move straight down?
RE only sells one length of fixed arms. I have the Adj. uppers and lowers just for the ability to change caster and pinion angle.

The handling is greatly improved. If you approach at the right angle you don't have hang ups. I have drop downs with real stiff springs and no sway bar and bias ply Swampers and it handles great except for the swampers following every rut. No set up is perfect. My brother in law has long arm 6.5" and coil over long arm in the rear and has more problems then I care to deal with. $700 vs $2000. He does have nice articulation, but I'm not sure I'd ever need that much. So I'd build what ever seems to be with in your budget and if your not happy change it as your able. I know in my case I don't have the funds to do what a Good portion of the people suggest I need to do. So I take what I can use from Naxja and shine on the rest.
Have fun !

Anyone made there own drop brackets? The lowers look easy enough, just the upper arm supports might take a bit more work.

i have seen 2 guys with drop brackets (without the additional reinforcement brackets) rip their LCA mounts right off the frame because the added stress and leverage on it was amplified by the drop bracket... i persoanlly will sacrifice a lil ride quality to get the better clearance that no drop brackets gives me... daily driver i may think differently though...

They're pretty strong on their own but are hella-tougher with the added support brackets. I can attest to the toughness of them with the added bracket because I hit a concrete barrier last month while dodging a couple of deer and they are still attatch to the unibody. They're bent but are still in place.

I have, or should I say had, an 8" lift and never got hung up on them in 4 years of wheeling. They do make an enormous difference in the ride. I felt every bump in the road until I put the drop downs on.

I think they're well worth the investment.
See ya...............Mikey

Sterling90XJ said:

well then - what would you do to fix the slight problem of control arm angle, harsh ride, and minimal flex with a lift larger than 4" if its all garbage anyway...?

XJ_ranger said:
well then - what would you do to fix the slight problem of control arm angle, harsh ride, and minimal flex with a lift larger than 4" if its all garbage anyway...?

If you go too tall on a lift, say 6-8" without using the drop down brackets your control arm angle is so great that when you hit a bump the control arms try to move back instead of pivit on the rear mounts. I hope you can picture what I'm trying to say there. That would be your harsh ride problem. I had that same problem until I put the drop downs on.
As far as the flex problem goes, there are a few things that will limit it. 1) stock control arms. They don't twist hardly at all. 2) Control arm angle. Too steep of an angle means that the axle has very little travel left before the control arms will "bottom out". 3) Shock length. Make sure that you have the shocks that will allow you to droop the axle but not bottom out when you stuff the wheel. When I put the 6" lift on, I got shocks for an 8" lift and couldn't be happier. 4) Sway bar. Get the JKS Gen II disconnects. That's probably one of the most limiting things on there.
With my budget lift, I can out flex my buddy with the rear and match him with his Skyjacker 8" and lots of $$
Check out my pics of Providence Canyon. I have a few on there of me on a ramp.
Laters...........Mikey :cool:

Back