• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE drop brackets

I have a JKS adjsutable track bar. The axle end doesn't move a whole lot. All the movement is in the chassis end. It has a Johnny Joint so its free to move.
Tell me about your set up and maybe I can help more with some pointers.

........Mikey :cool:

my angle on the control arms is high (no db's) so when the axle cycles up and down, the caster moves alot along with the trac bar bracket at the axle end. i have a re hd trac bar but it has a bushing at the axle end. i guess all this movement puts a lot of stress on that bushing because the hole for the bolt elongated itself (had to weld extra metal to it)

If you want to get ride and control back the I would definately put the RE drop downs on. I would also get the "stiffner brackets" or what ever they call them. I can't remember. Anyway, I think that they are about $60-80 for both sides. They will keep the unibody from cracking, which I just remembered about, because they transfer all the force down to the flat part of the unibody frame rails.

Something else that you may want to think about is that adjustable track bar from JKS. That way when you go taller, yes not if but when, you won't have to worry about getting another track bar. You just legnthen yours.

See ya.............Mikey

The RE DB's have as much if not more caster adjustment in them than the stock LCA mounts on the body. There's probably an inch of adjustment there.

DSC01073.jpg

Combine that with adj uppers and I really see no reason to get adj lowers.

Definitely get the support braces, I wouldn't consider running DB's with out them.

Yeah get the braces or make some.

I run the brackets on my ZJ. I hit/dropped the passenger's side hard on a rock. It pretty much tore the stock LCA off the unibody.

I am running the RE drop brackets on my 90 MJ which I also use as my daily driver. Does it ride a lil rougher then stock... Of course it does. I am also running my stock upper and lowers, I have yet to have a problem with it not flexing as much as I wanted it to. Especially after doing the SOA conversion on my truck... Btw I am also running Rusty's 6.5 coils. Since I bought my kit used off a rolled over XJ, I got about a grand worth of equipment for 250 bucks. It is all about personal preference. I am currently saving my money to do a Long arm kit, not because of my ride quality, but because I want to go Higher.

Patrick

Anyone know what the length of the RE fixed lower is? I had the adjustable lowers and running the rock trails in the west kinda messed up the threads when running over rocks. I would vote for fixed lowers.

-Mike

Jeepin Jason said:
Combine that with adj uppers and I really see no reason to get adj lowers.
I was limited on the flex that I had with my stock control arms. Yes they do allow you to flex but the difference, at least for me, was night and day when I put the adjsutable ones on. Also another reason for the adjustables would be the amount of lift. As you go up your front axle comes back so you need to push the axle back toward the front to get the steering geometry correct. If you don't get the adjustables and go up to between 6 and 8" all you can do with the adjustable uppers is rotate the axle. You may have enough in the bracket to do this depending on how high you go. Adjustables all the way around allows you to really dial in the caster and such if needed.
.........Mikey

I just switched from a 3 inch lift with no DB's to a 5 inch lift with DB's and braces. There is no comparison in ride. There are some other factors involved like shocks too, but my XJ rides as smoothly now (I think) as my wifes stock ZJ. The difference is amazing on road and on washboard and gravel. I haven't tested it on the trail yet, but I expect good things.

same experience here with drop brackets. the ride is so much better since the arms don't try to push back before popping over.i had a chance to do the same trails up in the calico area of so cal in the same month with and without drops. as far as hitting the only place i seemed to wack them alot was on the rubicon. no probs in moab or the areas around southern cal.

I think that they're going to be about the same price no matter where you go. I get all my parts from Mepco 4x4 but my ex-wife works for them so I get a discount. I'll do some checking around and see what I can find out.

See ya...........Mikey :cool:

Last edited:
Hey Marcus, any number of us RE dealers would be cheaper than going direct. Shipping the parts down under is going to be killer though. The drop bracket kit doesn't weight that much though, so it shouldn't be too bad. Certainly not like getting a whole lift kit shipped there! haha! If you'd rather try to shop closer to home, Suburban is now RE's main Aussie distributor, so you might also check with them too. It might be cheaper in the end to go through them than to go through someone State Side and have the parts shipped over.

Marcus, Wooders is also a good bet :) I've found he's cheaper than Suburban as he imports to order for a lot of the bigger stuff or less common stuff. Worth giving him a try.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Guys. I had already checked out Suburban but they dont seem to have it on their site. Might ask Wooders in case he has some already there. I have also a lead on some secondhand ones in the States but the price difference was enough I think.

Back