• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RCV or this?

Yes they will, but at hundreds more $$.. and add that to the RCV's and hub kit and new knuckles, and calipers and your right about the same as a D44HP with ARB and Very strong Ujoints and shafts with brackets installed.

Well yeah, didn't say it was economical but it is a pretty neat option.

Personally I run alloys, spicer joints, Aussie, and a bunch of custom steering stuff. On 33's now but will be on 35's in February. Not too worried about 35's on my setup.

Would love to have the RCV shafts and will end up there the first time I waller(<---SEC Term) out one of the ears on my shafts.

I wouldn't run upgraded shafts until the stock carrier is long gone.

I blew my 4.88s with stock shafts and x760s.

3147_521967885430_41902041_31069650_3742012_n.jpg

Busted my D30 ring gear in September with RCV's, ARB and 35's. Most likely it was because of a bad gear setup, so I can't blame it on the tires or anything.

Busted 8.25 ring gear in November (2 teeth missing in 2 different spots) with stock shafts, no-slip, and 35's. This gear setup has been running great for 2 years and around 35k miles, so I'm not sure what to say here. Replacing the gears and adding Yukon shafts, then hoping it doesn't happen again. I've personally never heard of anyone else breaking an 8.25 ring gear though.

Seems to me like there are just a million variables when it comes to things breaking or staying together. One thing can't really be blamed for all incidences. I'd say just make it as strong as you can and hope it all stays together. I can't say I take it easy on my jeep at all, so I'm not surprised things are starting to break on 35's. Just part of the game and speeds up the natural progression to bigger drivetrain parts.

Busted my D30 ring gear in September with RCV's, ARB and 35's. Most likely it was because of a bad gear setup, so I can't blame it on the tires or anything.

Busted 8.25 ring gear in November (2 teeth missing in 2 different spots) with stock shafts, no-slip, and 35's. This gear setup has been running great for 2 years and around 35k miles, so I'm not sure what to say here. Replacing the gears and adding Yukon shafts, then hoping it doesn't happen again. I've personally never heard of anyone else breaking an 8.25 ring gear though.

Seems to me like there are just a million variables when it comes to things breaking or staying together. One thing can't really be blamed for all incidences. I'd say just make it as strong as you can and hope it all stays together. I can't say I take it easy on my jeep at all, so I'm not surprised things are starting to break on 35's. Just part of the game and speeds up the natural progression to bigger drivetrain parts.
I think the greatest factor in ring gear failures that occur without a major event is improper break in. Gearsets that aren't properly broken in lose their heat treatment and will fail at some point due to the metal being weakened.

I think the greatest factor in ring gear failures that occur without a major event is improper break in. Gearsets that aren't properly broken in lose their heat treatment and will fail at some point due to the metal being weakened.

That sounds completely bogus to me. How on earth would they 'lose' the heat treatment? I don't think normal driving gets anywhere near hot enough to alter the molecules in the metal.

ya think competition built buggies put 1000 babied street miles on thier gearsets before they wheel?

That sounds completely bogus to me. How on earth would they 'lose' the heat treatment? I don't think normal driving gets anywhere near hot enough to alter the molecules in the metal.

Well he is actually correct that during break in the gears are not lapped yet and are required to lap and to get a wear pattern. Very similar to breaking in a camshaft.

As for that causing gear failure, I don't know. But I do know that a dana 30 contact area is the smallest in the family and then do a 4.88 ratio and that area is extremely small and puts all the forces in a very small contact area and the torque is also multipled more with the higher # ratios so more force is also generated.

ya think competition built buggies put 1000 babied street miles on thier gearsets before they wheel?

Ever seen a d30 or d44 or 8.25 in a comp buggy?

Back