• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question in regards to snow wheelin'

well yeah. In compact snow and ice, like what you would see on in the passes, a spool would probably be a little more tricky, and i would want to pay extra attention.

But in thick heavy snow. i would assume you want as much traction as possible, and 3 tires spinning is better then 2.

I think i have enough info and im going to go ahead and throw one in. my first test with it will ne on the thanksgiving run. Hopefully TSF will have some snow higher up.

If i got a full spool instead of a mini-spool. will i have to have it installed by a shop? or can i just swap my Ring gear onto the full spool and throw it in?

Yes you would have to reset the gears. A full spool replaces the carrier correct? If so you will have to press on new bearings and shims, which will throw your backlash out of spec.

Another thing to consider is tire pressure. Bias ply tires don't really like to cooperate with their rims at low pressures. You should be able to get some good flotation out of your tires, if you can keep them on the rim.

Also if you want deep virgin snow head out to a FS road. The snow at TSF gets really torn up in the winter.

I'm so ready for the snow. :)

Yes you would have to reset the gears. A full spool replaces the carrier correct? If so you will have to press on new bearings and shims, which will throw your backlash out of spec.

Another thing to consider is tire pressure. Bias ply tires don't really like to cooperate with their rims at low pressures. You should be able to get some good flotation out of your tires, if you can keep them on the rim.

Also if you want deep virgin snow head out to a FS road. The snow at TSF gets really torn up in the winter.

I'm so ready for the snow. :)
well i believe my boggers are Radials. I thought they were Bias when i bought them but someone explained to me that because they are marked 33x14.00xR15 that means they are radials.. and if they were bias they would show 14x33x15 or something along those lines? meh whatever. these tires dont really soften out when aired down. i run them at 10lbs on the street and 2-4lbs offroad. Yet to break a bead. (i have lost valve stems tho!)

i like to cut my own trails.. i had alot of fun exploring places where nobody had been yet last year off of mt.hood, like the Barlow trail.

I've been lookin forward to snow since it melted off last year.

locked is locked unlocked is unlocked if you use a spool you are locked all the time. a detroit locker or lock right is locked only under load, load can be acell or decell. I think a spool is more predictable because its always locked no questions. In the snow a posi or locker comes on when traction is lost on one wheel of that axel. It stays locked untill both wheels match speed and no load is on eather tire. A select able locker is the best, you control when it is locked. A spool or mini spool act the same.Always locked. Posi or locker locks under load, up or down. A selectable locker lock when you flip the switch. and un locks when you flip the switch. I hope that helps.

locked is locked unlocked is unlocked if you use a spool you are locked all the time. a detroit locker or lock right is locked only under load, load can be acell or decell. I think a spool is more predictable because its always locked no questions. In the snow a posi or locker comes on when traction is lost on one wheel of that axel. It stays locked untill both wheels match speed and no load is on eather tire. A select able locker is the best, you control when it is locked. A spool or mini spool act the same.Always locked. Posi or locker locks under load, up or down. A selectable locker lock when you flip the switch. and un locks when you flip the switch. I hope that helps.
Pretty much summed everything i already knew up into one tidy paragraph. :cheers:

Back