• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker/LS with NP242

So far I've altered my plan to save for 4.88s and selectables front/rear.

For right now, I'll pull the front d/s and just work out some of the other bugs until I can get the cash for the major surgery. I've heard the carriers are weak on both the 30 and 8.8, so replacing them with full carrier lockers seems to be wise. I'd rather repair the weak u-joints on the trail than have to get dragged because of an exploded diff. I don't think w/33s that would ever happen, but I'm not interested in ever telling a story like that...

In any case, I'm still interested in hearing about lived experiences with FT 4wd and a locked front.

Thanks to everyone so far!

I applaud the choice of selectables front and rear. You have the best of all worlds there! I'm a couple years into these u-joints (front and rear shafts) and they were all super tight with no play when I went over them last night.

I have an 8.8 sitting in the garage that I'm going to put an OX in if I ever have the money for it. I've been waiting on it because I'm also thinking about upping the lift height and going with 35's, but it's like knocking over dominoes where now I'm investing in new coils, leafs, shocks, the not-inexpensive locker setup, gears, and whatever else rears its head in association with ensuring good handling and braking. What I didn't want to do was weld on the spring perches for the current drive shaft angle and then have to cut them off and redo that for a different lift height. Looking back on the build history of my projects, it makes sense to recommend that if you can afford to do everything the way you would ultimately want it the first time around, you should. It will save you many hours of unwrenching and rewrenching, and also cost less in the long run since you aren't rebuying parts to replace other parts you already bought to modify your rig.

.My Jeep is not worth anything, but the axles and lift kit and armor have been on more than one Jeep, so I just see it as a set of parts that will make any decent Cherokee a way better Cherokee and the Jeep itself lasts as long as it does before it's time to get a new one and transplant the parts. In that sense, it really doesn't matter if your upgrades far overshadow the value of the host, because the host is replaceable. That's my view of it, anyway.

The resale value of my Cherokee is a pittance in comparison to what I have put into it, and my build is modest by most metrics. I would be cautious in assuming that aftermarket parts will be readily transferable well into the future. This concern stems from the fact that the last production year of the XJ was 14 years ago and, at least where I live, finding good used ones will without doubt become increasingly difficult.

By the way, I appreciate your well thought out and well written posts.

The resale value of my Cherokee is a pittance in comparison to what I have put into it, and my build is modest by most metrics. I would be cautious in assuming that aftermarket parts will be readily transferable well into the future. This concern stems from the fact that the last production year of the XJ was 14 years ago and, at least where I live, finding good used ones will without doubt become increasingly difficult.

I hear you on my assumption about parts transfer in the future. I have a '99 waiting in the wings for when the '98 falls apart. It has about 60,000 less miles on it than my '98 and currently just needs a radiator--it was my DD for a while so I know it's a decent vehicle--so it will be the next host unless I find a better one in the meantime.

Also, thanks for the compliment. I try to leave words here that have meaning and value without wasting space. Sometimes I think I accomplish that goal. I'm not the definitive expert on anything Cherokee, but I've tried to approach mine in a reasonable, rational manner and if I have anything to offer that seems helpful, I do try to be helpful!

my wife's 01 was a factory 242/LSD jeep.

it was phenomonal in the snow. Marginal offroad. LSD's just don't work well when you start flexing things and lifting tires.

The d35 was tired and, as no one should rebuild a d35 ever, it got a 29 spline 8.25 with an aussie locker.
She's driven it daily for 2 years like that. She has a heavy foot.
It's not an issue in FT. Snow performance is better, but you must be cautious in turns. Don't be stupid with the skinny pedal and it will be just as predictable as the LSD in the rear.

I am running a 99XJ with 4.11 gears, 242 case, Dana 30, Dana 44, ARBs front and rear, 4 inch lift and BFG AT 31 tires. Was it expensive? Of course. As others have said I have more in the upgrades than I have in the Jeep. Due to wife and I are frequently running solo I need dependable equipment. We like the combination as it will go places we don't want to go and still run on the highway at above posted speeds.

For snow on the roads, I run in FT 4x4 and leave the diffs open. Works well, is very stable, and we have lockers available if needed. I had a Jeep with limited slip in the rear and in the snow it could get interesting on slippery corners etc.

For sand etc., I will run in PT 4x4 and lock the rear. Front is used as needed however is very rarely needed.

I really like our combo as it does what we need and works well for us. FWIW we are not hardcore off roaders so your needs may be different.

Good luck.

It's a rarity here on the interwebs and is much appreciated as well!

my wife's 01 was a factory 242/LSD jeep.

it was phenomonal in the snow. Marginal offroad. LSD's just don't work well when you start flexing things and lifting tires.

The d35 was tired and, as no one should rebuild a d35 ever, it got a 29 spline 8.25 with an aussie locker.
She's driven it daily for 2 years like that. She has a heavy foot.
It's not an issue in FT. Snow performance is better, but you must be cautious in turns. Don't be stupid with the skinny pedal and it will be just as predictable as the LSD in the rear.

Appreciate the comments. LSD just seems hit or miss; this is certainly reinforcing my interest in selling it and locking the axles instead.

I am running a 99XJ with 4.11 gears, 242 case, Dana 30, Dana 44, ARBs front and rear, 4 inch lift and BFG AT 31 tires. Was it expensive? Of course. As others have said I have more in the upgrades than I have in the Jeep. Due to wife and I are frequently running solo I need dependable equipment. We like the combination as it will go places we don't want to go and still run on the highway at above posted speeds.

For snow on the roads, I run in FT 4x4 and leave the diffs open. Works well, is very stable, and we have lockers available if needed. I had a Jeep with limited slip in the rear and in the snow it could get interesting on slippery corners etc.

For sand etc., I will run in PT 4x4 and lock the rear. Front is used as needed however is very rarely needed.

I really like our combo as it does what we need and works well for us. FWIW we are not hardcore off roaders so your needs may be different.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm not super hardcore either so I really value your experience. My wife doesn't seem to subscribe to the logic in upgrades > jeep... yet anyway...

Yeah, I'm not super hardcore either so I really value your experience. My wife doesn't seem to subscribe to the logic in upgrades > jeep... yet anyway...

Yep, I get that. When I started looking at vehicles that would do what we needed and wanted. It came down to a XJ or a 4 door JK. I told the wife I could buy a nice JK then fix it up to what I wanted for $45,000+. Or I could buy the best XJ I could find and mod it up for about $15,000. Guess what she picked?

We are very happy with the XJ.

Back