• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about roof structure, custom overhead console considerations

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I am not finding the information I need, and I suppose that has to do with the fact that my needs are not quite common. What I can find about overhead consoles is largely a matter of stock consoles or swaps from other vehicles. I need to build something completely custom for the sake of a dedicated radio direction finding system. Along with the radio (possibly two radios) it will need to incorporate space for the attenuator and signal strength meter, plus have allowances for the antenna mast. I sincerely doubt I will ever see a stock OHC in any vehicle that would meet those requirements. Custom fab is in order.

The subject wherein I would appreciate some input is in regard to mounting options. I am still very much in the planning stages and I don't want to tear out my headliner this early in the process. But I would like to know what sort of support metal is up there.

I figure the area directly in back of the windshield should offer plenty of room for some sheet metal screws. I expect that whatever the factory is using to mount the visors will serve me well at that end of the picture.

What I don't know about is the area further back, say between the b-pillars (center of the roof, but figure about that far back). The little factory dome light seems to be mounted to nothing more than the headliner, but I suspect there are cross braces running across the roof at some locations. Would anyone happen to know the locations of any of the cross braces? Perhaps someone who has given up on their headliner and removed it entirely? I would love to have a measurement from the windshield back to the centerline of any crossbars that cross the area of the front seats on a 4 door (Is a 2 door the same? I don't know.). Also how far down from the roof (how deep) are those braces? Is there room for a short sheet metal screw?

I would prefer to avoid having to weld to the roof itself. I will do it if that is what it takes, but the paint is still decent up there and I really don't want to have to patch that up. It won't look nearly as good as repainting the whole vehicle, and I'm a long ways away from there.

Any input as to where the strengths and weaknesses of the roof structure lie is much appreciated.

If it matters at all, the vehicle is 1996 Cherokee Sport.

On my '99 I removed the factory console and found a pretty good brace back near the dome light. I took a piece of .25x4 steel and put a curve to match the roof line in it. Then I cut it to fit between the upper windshield frame and the rearward brace and pre tapped the holes for my CB and ham radio. There isn't enough material on either end to use any type of screws, so it is welded in on both ends. I'm happy with the results, and it fits well with the headliner being trimmed a bit and the console also being trimmed and re-installed.

Use the Google, pictures with head liners removed are available, I posted one a week or two ago in a thread. Stop by the junkyard and have a look. You could use a long needle to probe for the roof support size, and location.

On my '99 I removed the factory console and found a pretty good brace back near the dome light. I took a piece of .25x4 steel and put a curve to match the roof line in it. Then I cut it to fit between the upper windshield frame and the rearward brace and pre tapped the holes for my CB and ham radio. There isn't enough material on either end to use any type of screws, so it is welded in on both ends. I'm happy with the results, and it fits well with the headliner being trimmed a bit and the console also being trimmed and re-installed.

Any pics to share. I'd love to see some custom overhead console/radio mounting. And not the standard mounting between the visors. I'm looking to do the same thing with a fairly large radio and a good sized scanner. However I'll be using 1/4" nutzerts in the crossbars and above the widshield.

Back