• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOUD horn noise from roof (video)?

Benthos

NAXJA Forum User
This has me stumped. I had the windshield replaced and I replaced my headliner in my 99 XJ.

Took it out on the freeway and for the first time ever it's like someone is blowing an air horn on the roof at 60mph. It's so loud it hurts your ears. It sounds and feels like it's coming from a vibration in the roof but I can't for the life of me figure out what in the world would be causing this?

Any ideas?

https://youtube.com/shorts/0-IM-ixO2Mw?si=LWcIRqacflPqoP75

Well, that's a different one. Sounds like you have either a leak somewhere or a gap large enough to act as some kind of whistle or like blowing across the top of an empty bottle.

Id try taping up the windshield all the way around the seal (not the whole windshield) and go drive it again. If the "horn" stops, then peel back a section of the tape and try again. If you hear it, you've narrowed down the section.

In any case, you should contact the shop that replaced your windshield and let them know.

Don't fix it...this way everyone will stay out of your way :thumbup:

Well, that's a different one. Sounds like you have either a leak somewhere or a gap large enough to act as some kind of whistle or like blowing across the top of an empty bottle.

Id try taping up the windshield all the way around the seal (not the whole windshield) and go drive it again. If the "horn" stops, then peel back a section of the tape and try again. If you hear it, you've narrowed down the section.

In any case, you should contact the shop that replaced your windshield and let them know.

This^^^, the windshield is glued in but did you replace the gasket also?

Back