• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about bump stops and there effects on flex...

Discoing your sway bar won't cause you to hit your oil pan, it's jumping your XJ that could driving the axle into your oil pan.

but it is possible for the upper control arm at the axle end to kiss the lip of the oil pan on the passenger side. at least enough to deform the sealing surface and cause a leak. i did it in my XJ at stock height. added a hockey puck bumpstop and all was well again.

IMG_0007-3.jpg

but it is possible for the upper control arm at the axle end to kiss the lip of the oil pan on the passenger side. at least enough to deform the sealing surface and cause a leak. i did it in my XJ at stock height. added a hockey puck bumpstop and all was well again.

IMG_0007-3.jpg

^^^^^this...and pinching tranny cooler lines in the process! Bumpstops are goood

Darky: Thanks about the cameras, as my two 35mm's died, and am looking to be able to 'upload' images, etc.

Bdahlg: I am suprised about the wankered oil pan, although RockClimber mentioned the need for some bumstops/pucks to eliminate the possibility. Seems the ounce of prevention thing calls for those pucks. Thanks for the safety factor.

Prosonic: Have no idea about your intuitions, i.e., as to where this thread is going to make you reluctant to participate.., and.., whatever, my mom is dead. I am trying to gain an understanding of a subject that is rather 'greek' to me, and am not really interested in abstract opinions, but rather concrete build comments getting through to my dense brain-pan.

Thanks to you guys, I might be able to restore/buildup a road/highway/trail limited class A suspension system, i.e., more or less bomb proof. Every stock vehicle up here in my area have front end suspension failures within a few short years, and end up dragging their rear ends due to the need to move and carry weight, from trailers, to loads.

(I have looked at Dirk's Site several times in the past, as well as RockyRoad, etc., but the cost of shipping from those outfits to ALASKA nearly double the prices. SO: I am trying to figure out what I need, make a list, and attempt to get all parts from Washington State. No one will ship for free to the end of the road of the most northwesterly point on the North American one can drive to.., lol).

I wonder if the author of this thread has gotten as much out of it as I.

For all of our benefit, don't ever go to Rocky Road again...:D His service sucks. The parts are overall ok, but he's full of crap and has screwed a number of us over. He seems cool and knowledgeable until he has your money.

You might also check with Quadratec or 4Wheel Parts for shipping. I was just looking at Quadratec's site and they've got the OME 1.5" kit for $784.

Prosonic: Have no idea about your intuitions, i.e., as to where this thread is going to make you reluctant to participate...

I think you took me a bit too seriously there. It was said half in jest.

However, threads like this are usually doomed from the start. They tend to get filled with conjecture and unreliable info pretty quick. Hence my reluctance to participate.

whatever, my mom is dead.
I'm not speaking for rockclimber here, but I'm pretty sure his statement wasn't directed at your dead mother. It was probably directed at the "proverbial mother" That's the way I took it.
I found it amusing so I quoted it.

I am trying to gain an understanding of a subject that is rather 'greek' to me, and am not really interested in abstract opinions, but rather concrete build comments getting through to my dense brain-pan.
Nothing abstract about my statement. I bumpstop according to when my shocks bottom out.
That was the original topic being discussed, right? Bumpstop length and it's effect on the suspension?

I can dig the jest.., even if just a half.., which could be conjecturized, i.e., actual guesswork as to your comments meaning, and intent, rather than groking just what was exactly your muse over some humor, bits of serious information, etc., lol, I guess. RockClimber may have meant a 'proverbial mother'--dunno.., and no one knew I even had a mother, dead, or alive. I was born in a test tube, several thousand light years away before arriving to this planet. The 'greek' part referenced this entire suspension issue, not expressed in some defensive, or offensive comment towards your statement as being abstract. Your mention of a practical measurement technique is concrete, and "spot on", as far as this subject matter raised as per the 'mods' affecting the flex and stability of our XJ's. Thanks for the input dude! I have gained much to comprehend as to setting up my XJ correctly. I have not detected, or determined anything unduly unreliable as far as the information provided.., but then as a novice below everyone's stature here, I am attempting to learn, albeit I'm a slow learner dividing between the wheat and the chaff of it all.., but am grateful for all of the volunteered comments thus far. So, what would you recommend for the many of us who would like to have a heavy duty suspension over stock, (nothing over 2"), yet be able to play in the mud puddles, and climb over fallen trees, couple of boulders here and there, 'eh?

1990JEEPXJ: So, what size puck did you use to enhance your stock height--1"--to prevent contact with oil pan?

'YA ALL: If I go upwards towards two inches via Old Man Emu, what heights, offhand, should I install?

PROSONIC: I have to order parts, and it takes a couple of weeks for each item to arrive, and I do not want to under/over estimate parts acquisitions as much as possible.., to defray time, and expense, etc.

DARKY: Had communicated with RockyRoad's owner, via e-mail while he was out on some gathering, Baja, or some such. Yes, your opinion, and others seem to be correct, unfortunately, about their organization. I have googled reviews, and BBB about them. Other than the negativity, for me, Dirk, RR, etc., are just too far away. Shipping costs to Alaska are insane. Hence, I can only justify ordering from Washington State sources. Especially since ARBUSA, which is the importer for OME products, have 'trained' the local retailers to expect "Special Order" drop ship products from ARB. When I look at offerings at Quatratec, i.e., the 1.5" setup, thats fine.., but not what I have ascertained via the ARB Tech. Guy.., as per their site's 'pdf'. I have a hell of a lot of mud and ice washboard roads to drive, and have to order the more 'exotic'--H.D., and as close to the source as possible. My SYE conversion is not possible in my near future, so I have to maximize articulation; flex, and stability as much as possible given the enhanced stance OME provides over stock. For example, some have mentioned a mod. for the rear axle body bumper/jounces, yet there is a site that offers stock length, and extended. Hmmm...

This thread took a few strange turns. I figured I would weigh in on the bumpstopping/flex/balance issue though.

I only have a 3" lift. Obviously that doesn't afford me miles of flex, but it's very stable and well balanced.

flexforum-1.jpg

As you can see I need to bumpstop. You can see on the driver side rear that the body is all folded up from the tire contacting it. I have a set of aftermarket bumpstops to install, I just haven't gotten them on yet. I blew my shocks about 2 months after installing them due to lack of bumpstopping. In my opinion, how much flex you have is only a small part of the equation, controlling it to get the most effect is where you get the benefit.

daehimeh: Like your tubular swing spare setup. No provision for a class II, or class III hitch? Just what aftermarket jounce did you get, and it's height? I've seen three versions; stock, extended rubber with a cookie cutter cutout, and extended rubber, the latter I've been trying to relocate on the web. No success. So, I guess I'll do what every one suggests, i.e., to use square tubes, drill holes, then mount OEM's.

1990JEEPXJ: Thanks for the response.

Its a shame you guys are so worried about "flex" when you should be really worried about FLECKS!!!! FLECKS is the new flex & its how all xj's should roll.....

daehimeh: Like your tubular swing spare setup. No provision for a class II, or class III hitch? Just what aftermarket jounce did you get, and it's height? I've seen three versions; stock, extended rubber with a cookie cutter cutout, and extended rubber, the latter I've been trying to relocate on the web. No success. So, I guess I'll do what every one suggests, i.e., to use square tubes, drill holes, then mount OEM's.

1990JEEPXJ: Thanks for the response.

IMAG0207.jpg

The bumper does have a ClassIII hitch and 7 pin connector. It's pretty well hidden up under the tire.

These are the bumpstops I have. To accommodate that extra length on only a 3 "lift I'm moving them to the inside of the unibody rail. Once I get around to installing them I will be sure to post up some pictures of what I did.

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1092

I think to make this thread more interesting the the benifits of a center mount limiting strap should be added.

:D

Old thread I know - but interesting read. I'm in a situation where 3 of my 4 mounting bolts for the rear stops twisted off while attempting to install 4.1" rear stops. I'm at 4.5" with rear fender/quarter trimmed/boxed and 33x1250s and trying to decide whether to even bother with fixing my current situation in order to mount the extended ones or will I be okay being bs-less in back.

You need to be properly bump stopped in the rear. You do not want the leafs to invert. You will kill them quickly and your 4.5" lift will be down to 0 in no time. Bump stop just before the point of the tires hitting metal or your leafs going flat whichever comes first.

Back