• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality Alternators--best drop in, no grinding required...

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So I don't really have the option to do a rewind on the jeep and my alternator is going out. I have a 2000 jeep cherokee with about 200,000 (and still original alternator).

Any suggestions on which "off the shelf" alternator I should look at. I have a big stereo system but the stock 117 seems to do fine so far. I am willing to shell out the $400 for a mean green, but I also don't want to just throw money at a label that I wont need.

I am really not wanting to grind or change any brackets, so looking for suggestions on best drop in.

is your stereo is big enough to require a second or third battery or just running the 1 under then hood. If multiple batteries and isolator are required then I'd go for the Mean Green version, if not then a good stock replacement from Carquest or Advance auto ect. should do the trick, remember to charge the battery fully before running the new alternator or it could make it fail

Da, thank you very much. Right now everything seems to be going great. I have an intermittent voltage drop to 9 like every 5th time i start the car. I think the alternator is going out (although my tests with a multimeter does not indicate that since I have not been able to verify while it was running at 9). The battery is 6 years old and still holding charge, everything I own seems to just last a long time. About 2 years ago I let the jeep sit for a month and the alternator froze up and I was able to get the pully oiled and back running but other than that everything is stock.

All that being said I don't think the stereo is causing any major issues (ive had it in my car for about 18 years now with the same setup and no issues)

Another option would be to just get a rebuild kit for your existing alternator. They are not complicated.

Also be aware that if you upgrade the alt you will also need to up-size the "fusible link".

Rebuild what have with German or Japanese parts, or have a local shop do that. Anything "rebuilt" you buy will be full of used and Chinesium parts. One of the guys in my local Jeep club works for one of the big name auto parts stores. He says 10-15% of their Chinese rebuilt alternators are Dead right out of the box.

Probably all it needs is new brushes and springs.

Rebuild what have with German or Japanese parts, or have a local shop do that. Anything "rebuilt" you buy will be full of used and Chinesium parts. One of the guys in my local Jeep club works for one of the big name auto parts stores. He says 10-15% of their Chinese rebuilt alternators are Dead right out of the box.

Probably all it needs is new brushes and springs.

You are making too much logical sense, especially when I can get a new one pretty and powdercoated lol.

I like your thinking but I am slowly upgrading the jeep and making her a little more "flashy" (radiator hoses went out so I got matching blue ones)

Be aware that if you powdercoat an alternator case you may need to go to some extra effort to then ground said case. Otherwise alternator will not charge. DAMHIKT.

I used an alternator from a ZJ in my '98. Its 135 amp. I did not upgrade the fusible link. Though I think that is needed. I did grind the bracket to fit the larger alternator. I am looking to go to a MAXI fuse, instead of the fusible like. The PDC box is setup for that.
I do have a 2000 XJ. My alternator did go bad. Actually the stud for the cable broke off. I did have it rebuilt here locally, for $85. I would have swapped in a ZJ alternator, but the wiring is different. The newer ones have a two wire plug. I don't think a WJ would work with the brackets. Also, wonder about a Dakota alternator or such. I might look into the rear electrical plate from a WJ alternator for the 2 wire plug, swapped into the ZJ alternator.

It's the "wire" from the B+ on the alternator to the PDC.

Thanks,
I found the fusible link in the FSM schematic, but have not had a chance to locate it on the Xj (2000).
Do you know the amp rating for it?

Last edited:
My 2000 FSM only shows it as a #10 ga but it doesn't list a current rating.

I don't think fusible links get an amp rating the way a fuse does. They are a different sort of animal.

Also be aware that if you upgrade the alt you will also need to up-size the "fusible link".

This is what sparked my curiosity about the fusible link. The highest amp load we would have is from our winch’s, during a hard pull it would be four to five hundred amps. I suppose it would depend on the condition of the battery and how many you had. I run two optimas.
Thought’s?

Back