• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pwned by my TJ

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Finally got mirror relocation brackets for the TJ so I can run doorless. Installed them Friday after work, and was taking the steel half doors off and did a stupid move. Pulled the passenger door off and set it on the step rail to get a better grip on it, and then proceeded to lift it by the soft upper and it fell straight to the ground. Problem was, I was wearing flip flops instead of my steel-toes, and crushed a couple of toes and 90% amputated the tip of my second toe.

911 call (I was home alone), ride to the hospital in the meatwagon, 5 hours in the ER with IV antibiotics, 12 stitches through the nailbed, and got back home about 9 PM that night with a bottle of percocets and some antibiotics. Oh, and I almost forgot.....a teatnus shot just to round everything off.

I go to see an orthopedic surgeon this week, hopefully I'll be able to keep the toe tip that they sutured back together. That toenail is gone, and I might have to have the big toenail taken off too if the pressure underneath it doesn't start subsiding. I'll post up some pics if anyone is interested.....
Jeff

Lesson: even the simplest of things can go very bad if you aren't thinking about what you're doing

even the simplest of things can go very bad if you aren't thinking about what you're doing

Must be something about the hot muggy weather. A couple of days ago, I almost put a hole in my dad's house when my Cadillac got away from me and rolled down his driveway.

Sorry to hear about your foot!

lol i think it is the hot weather!, me and my dad were trying to remove the roll out wheels on his welding truck that were rusted tight, i sprayed a bunch of PB blaster on it and got a nice 5lb hammer out to loosen it up. stupid me i was straddling it and when i swung to the side to get it, i clipped the piece i intended to hit and the hammer ricocheted and hit me square in the side on the knee. it almost brought tears to my eye's i was in so much pain, it felt like i was kicked in the sack! i had to take a few steps back and sit down for a few minutes. my knee still hurts today a week later, not as bad but i still feel the pain. but we did get those roll out wheels for his leads removed =)

Finally got mirror relocation brackets for the TJ so I can run doorless. Installed them Friday after work, and was taking the steel half doors off and did a stupid move. Pulled the passenger door off and set it on the step rail to get a better grip on it, and then proceeded to lift it by the soft upper and it fell straight to the ground. Problem was, I was wearing flip flops instead of my steel-toes, and crushed a couple of toes and 90% amputated the tip of my second toe.

911 call (I was home alone), ride to the hospital in the meatwagon, 5 hours in the ER with IV antibiotics, 12 stitches through the nailbed, and got back home about 9 PM that night with a bottle of percocets and some antibiotics. Oh, and I almost forgot.....a teatnus shot just to round everything off.

I go to see an orthopedic surgeon this week, hopefully I'll be able to keep the toe tip that they sutured back together. That toenail is gone, and I might have to have the big toenail taken off too if the pressure underneath it doesn't start subsiding. I'll post up some pics if anyone is interested.....
Jeff

Lesson: even the simplest of things can go very bad if you aren't thinking about what you're doing

I know how that feels (and it sux)-- had a friend "help" unload a Lincoln rear axle, spring, and chopped frame rail section from a truck bed and while I was jumping down to guide it to the ground, he decided to let go. I was in soft toe engineer boots and the cut end of the frame found the softest place it could to land. All but the big toe were smashed, gashed, and.... you get the picture.

I'm sure the swelling and pretty colors you're seeing today have you wondering if you're EVER gonna be the same, but rest assured that in a month or so, you'll just have an annoying lack of feeling at times. It's been 9 years since I did this and I can still tell the difference between my right and left foot in the amount of feeling they have (and the increased sensitivity to cold temps)

You just proved that going doorless isn't always painless-- keep the foot up and do whatever the O.S. tells you is best.

Thanks all....percocets and Bud Light seem to be doing the trick :-D Here's a few pics. The big toe on the left foot sustained some damage as well, but it's just bruised and swollen.

steel-toed flip-flops (not):

garage001-12.jpg

post-ER:

garage002-11.jpg

the grand unveiling last night:

garage004-4.jpg

garage003-9.jpg

garage005-1.jpg

This thread has been up for two hours and no one has asked for pics.

Lets see'um

Oh and sorry about your toes...it does indeed hurt to read that.

Because your the only sicko who wanted to see em!

Theres not much more inconvenient than a busted up toe Jeff, hope it heals quickly for ya.

Man Jeff I hope you get to feelling better. That sucks!

Slammed and locked a finger in the back door of my van, no pain till I unlocked it and then I felt it down to my toenails, they drilled it at the medical center on the sub base, that feeling was fabulous.

Just looking at the pics made me squirm.

Because your the only sicko who wanted to see em!

Theres not much more inconvenient than a busted up toe Jeff, hope it heals quickly for ya.

I also could have done without those pics... yow. Last time I saw something like that was right after I ripped a toenail off on a piece of splintered / rough sawed lumber in spring 05. Yep, flip-flops strike again. I wear steel toes at all times now, it protects the klutz in me.

speaking of pics that make you squirm, get rid of that freakin avatar already
:roflmao: got something against ballchinians?! DISCRIMINATION

Thanks all.... ...,Here's a few pics,...
Who gives a crap about your smelly foot? Was the Jeep hurt? Lets see a pic of the door!

Just kidding, hope the foot doesn't give you much trouble. Keep it CLEAN. You don't want that getting infected.

thanks all.....

I'm not doing too bad, in fact my toes are starting to look like toes again (but they're pretty neat colors) Went to the ortho surgeon today, he says things are looking pretty good considering what happened. All three toes on the foot are broken, but the big concern is infection. I'm on oral antibiotics for 10 days, and I'll probaby get the stitches out in about 2 weeks if all looks well. Gave me a big enclosed-toe boot to wear. My foot looks like frankenstein.

TJ door has a nice scratch in it, too.....

Jeff

Back