• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puzzling driveline vibration

it's best just to pick up a dial indicator, you can get them for relatively cheap. i think harbor freight sells one for like 19 bucks with a magnetic base. that way you can narrow down the runout and figure out where it's coming from. they're pretty handy for a lot of things.

I actually have one, I'm just not sure where to stick it on the Jeep to get a measurement.

If the dial indicator has a fairly far adjustable reach to it. See if it will stick to the e brake section in the tunnel. Not e brake itself but the little box the e brake rod pokes out of.

If that doesn't work. Use your jack. "assuming you have a good one other than stock" Jack it up so the jack disk sits right next to the output yoke. set it up and slowly spin yoke by hand.

Good news and bad news. Good news is I fixed the vibration. Bad news is I'm a moron.

I put the conversion joint in backwards on both shafts so that the zerk fitting faced the pinion yoke. I was smart enough to notice right away that the zerk itself wouldn't clear, so I pulled it out and planned to source a low profile fitting. Unfortunately, I wasn't clever enough to check that nothing else was in the way.

Thanks for the help, everyone! Here's a shot of the new shaft after I flipped the joint around. It's next to the spare shaft that has the joint in the wrong way still.

IMAG0389.jpg

LOL well cool, glad you fingered it out. thanks for posting up the cause, now i know to look for that in the future.

Truthfully, I hesistated because it was so dumb, but I hate searching and finding threads about a problem I'm having and having the thread end before they posted the solution.

Back