• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

55-65mph vibration with several different prop shafts

gundog

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 Cherokee XJ (240k miles and still running strong) has a vibration problem at highway speeds with several different front prop shafts installed. I have had two of them rebuilt and balanced, but the vibration is still there. No vibration with the front prop shaft out. What should I check and in what order? Want my 4WD back. Thanks

My first suspect would be the output bearing on the T-case.

I would expect the axle pinion bearing to make noise if it were going south (To be more precise, I would expect the gears to make noise if the pinion bearing were going out).

If the issue were the axle U-joints I would expect the vibrations to be present regardless of whether or not you had the prop shaft installed.

That kind of leaves the T-case output.

All of the above assumes that the rebuilding of the front driveshafts was indeed done well, including attention to the centering ball. That is not necessarily a safe assumption. I have had the driveshaft shop ignore the centering ball because I did not specifically request they deal with it, even though the wiper was clearly coming to pieces.

Any suspension lift ? What brand/size/tread-type tires ?

Age/condition of motor mounts and transmission mount ?

My 96 Cherokee XJ (240k miles and still running strong) has a vibration problem at highway speeds with several different front prop shafts installed. I have had two of them rebuilt and balanced, but the vibration is still there. No vibration with the front prop shaft out. What should I check and in what order? Want my 4WD back. Thanks

If there is no vibration with the front prop shaft out, then its pretty clear that the front prop shaft is the culprit because the front axle spins regardless of whether the front prop shaft is present. Or it could be a loose output shaft bearing on forward output shaft on your transfer case.

Thanks for the direction. As soon as it warms up a bit, I’ll crawl under there and check a few of these things. BTW, motor mounts and transmission mounts are all original

Unless this is a rare time capsule you need to replace those mounts.

Back