• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "why cant i leave anything alone" mj build

Hope so been to cold to mess with flexing it but ill take fenders off and run it threw and see whats going to hit inside there. Now i just need to figure out what hydro assist set up to run with out spending a bunch of money

Hope so been to cold to mess with flexing it but ill take fenders off and run it threw and see whats going to hit inside there. Now i just need to figure out what hydro assist set up to run with out spending a bunch of money

-7 yesterday. I rebuilt a durango box and drilled it for assist. 'should have used the stock one. I used a westtexasofffroad rebuild kit and will use their assist parts. Great people.

http://westtexasoffroad.wixsite.com/wtor

Looking at their site again, you may have to call to get the rebuild kit to DIY. It was super cheap, under $100 for the bearings/seals.

Last edited:
ya i was looking at their kits and heard good things about them. Prolly do the redneck ram and mod my stock mj box. I have a full PSC hydro kit but its full hydro and not sure how i feel about that on a street drivng rig

Well, the box ended up having less travel in degrees of rotation so I yanked/machined the internal stops, then made a different pitman arm to match the travel with the linear demand at the knuckle to reach the stops.

The Durango box is bigger but as far as I can tell only changes the hydraulic leverage requiring more flow but creates more leverage on the sector shaft which is the part that usually fails. I think I basically went backwards creating a weak point. I can spin the wheel with one finger tho. A simple box rebuild, good pump and hydro assist would have been less work for a more reliable setup.

The short story is I have no idea of my final ratio.

Last edited:
last night i went out to the garage and messed with track bar more. Got the DOM track bar tacked in and made some flex and stop to stop clearance checks. all looks good so far.

this is ride height .8 degree off between track bar and drag link at equal lengths

compressed clears nicely

track bar bracket needs a lil love but will work cause im not using bottom hole

passenger drop

turned to stop small issue at coil perch but grinder will fix that

drooped flex all good. no more pit man arm contact

overall i think this is going to work. going to start welded all my brackets and make bump stops and coil mounts and shock mounts. pretty happy with this set up.

Well i got my steering and track bar links all welded up. now just need to drill the pit man arm and weld up the brackets for track bar. making some tiny progress been to damn cold in illinois

damn i need to push jeep out and clean lol

plans for assist? might be a good time to think about it. i had a hell of a time fitting my ram. i had wanted to locate it right under the track bar, but with my full bump setup, that was simply not an option, the trackbar occupied that space. i ended up putting it under the tie rod.

mounting it was one hurdle:

12919655_970200026367747_7263963388768251649_n.jpg

keeping it out of the coils at full extension was another issue:

12801552_970199996367750_2306286787135641229_n.jpg

clearance to the diff cover at full extension was a third issue:

12439183_970200029701080_4312428509413827827_n.jpg

in the end this is where i put it, and the skid i made:

12993400_982554948465588_7156758154407206991_n.jpg

13015459_982554818465601_1736872740636253326_n.jpg

the skid has seen a TON of use.

13312664_1004796186241464_3710418855518779078_n.jpg

yes i plan on hydro assist. trying to decide on what i wanna do. Im thinking red neck ram set up and tapping stock box for now. What size cylinder are u runnig?

not alot done last night. got the frame side track bar bracket welded and link painted.

Im hoping i have enough room on the side of coil perch and go behind it. if not ill be doing some thing like yours prolly. Not much room in there haha

thanks guys. hoping to be driving it soon. Going on a small trip to texas for the holiday so tonight will be the last of progress this year haha. I did start beefing up the track bar mount some still need to weld on the wedge area. Guess i need to heat it up to help it burn in. so gotta borrow a torch. but here is some pics

still need welded at bottom and maybe something to extend it to help with side load stress.

pretty happy with the way it turned out. got pretty decent at making paper templates lol

i found a guy selling some 16" king 2.0 air shocks near me cheap. might run over there tonight and check them out. also has a dana 60 rear, stak t case and some treps i want haha

Well texas was awesome very nice weather 80s all week.

Came home and pushed the jeep out and cleaned all the grinding dust off of it and did some suspension testing.

some pics if it

working on drive shaft for the rear so i can drive it in and out of garage lol

Back