• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Florida Crawler 2

our next stop was Harlan, KY. We registered and got cabins for the night .

Harlan is amazing and i was loving it there...until i got to the Waterfall obstacle at the beginning of Railbed.

where i proceeded to take a bad line and break a shaft in the 14b.

after the break i pulled the broken shaft out and continued up railbed, which became pretty difficult at the top with only 1 rear pulling shaft. so i had to winch out from there.

i continued the rest of the day in 3 wheel drive with the rest of the group. after we all sat down and ate an end of trip dinner at a pizzeria in town.

was an amazing trip where i met a lot of cool people and put a lot of miles on my jeep. looking forward to the next trip like it.

and a few other pictures i found of the trip.

shortly after i got back i found the rear locker was also broken. so i got that replaced along with ordering up a chromo shaft for the the side i broke. i plan to replace the other side soon.

went wheeling last weekend at Hardrock MX park in Ocala, FL with some friends. had a pretty good time. only issue i had was a broke the rod end on the PSC ram, we were able to fix it with a variety of repairs (duct tape, zip ties, metal zip tie, and a hose clamp) and kept wheeling the rest of the day.

Sweet pics! Looks like some fun wheeling areas. Now that you've had some seat time, what do you think of the rig? Anything to change?

I'm getting more comfortable with it, still figuring out the best times to use whichever gearing. i didn't know how much i would like the wheelbase, but I'm having zero regrets about it and really love the wheelbase.

i still badly need harnesses up front, i get tossed all over the cab with the factory belts.

i do wish it was lighter. when i go to harlan again in august ill do some wheeling without any of the doors on. and see how i like it with less weight. if it makes a noticeable enough difference ill probably start reducing weight where i can. (links, steering, winch rope, and seats are about all i can think of without cutting up the chassis)

other than that my only complaint is street power. it will cruise at 80, but the engine is much more comfortable in the 70-75mph range. and getting up to speed and maintaining speed can be pretty tough sometimes when I'm loaded with gear and in the mountain roads. off-road though i do not have a power complaint. in single low 2nd gear i can spin the tires pretty well on climbs. since i like the idea of factory reliability a stroker or forced induction is not likely in my future. If i do something power wise it will probably be a 5.3 or 6.0 with a 400-450ish hp goal.and obviously when that happens ill need a new trans and case since the 231/d300 doesnt have a much of a chance surviving at that point. and packaging a new engine/trans/case(s) is going to be a major project because i have built everything pretty much around the current powertrain.

also i plan on a tire change in the near future. not that i have a problem with the MTR's, but i want to try something else.

Last edited:
Do I spot someone's rig?
baf93c06d3e206bc0b9d99b00b23aca5.jpg

ce5dd65d5ce2e7379fdb684975347e9b.jpg

A mild stroke?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I agree with your statement about keeping it reliable, what about some simple bolt ons and a small cam/head work or edelbrock head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your statement about keeping it reliable, what about some simple bolt ons and a small cam/head work or edelbrock head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as of now I've got the Mopar stage 2 cam. id love the edelbrock head, and we've actually got one on the shelf at the shop... i just don't like the price.

Back