• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Downward Spiral

i check bill not doin the face WTF is up with that
Which one? The only one I recall that I didn't was Gate Keeper.
I did go up some of those multiple times with different lines.

DSC01819.jpg

Next weekend planned out yet? I know a great place ten minutes from gutter.
Nope. Sounds good. Call me we can work out the details.

BTW you should of came north of the border today and put yo DWE membership to good use

:yelclap::worship::shocked::thumbup::patriot: etc etc etc

That is downright awesome!

EDIT: also, I think Mark was being sarcastic... that's how I read it anyways.

Last edited:
OK, looks good.

I'd like to set aside an hour or two sometime during NACfest that those of us with built junk can go fast in a supervised environment. Care to join? :D

As long as my crapbox makes it through the Line Mountain 3.5-miler the weekend before... :rolleyes:

OK, looks good.

I'd like to set aside an hour or two sometime during NACfest that those of us with built junk can go fast in a supervised environment. Care to join? :D

As long as my crapbox makes it through the Line Mountain 3.5-miler the weekend before... :rolleyes:

LOL... If you want me to help set this up, let me know. Go ahead and start a post on it over in the NAC-Fest forum to see how many takers we have, I bet a few folks will be interested.

My junk is not "go-fast" approved... UCA and trackbar are a little too close on my front end and have a habit of "meeting" when I play go-fast games...

Thanks again for the comments folks!
I like how you are getting on the stupid peddle already. Great work really topnotch.
That video was really the only time I got on the throttle much all day. I was trying to stay off it a bit as there is/was hardly any distance or time on a lot of the parts.

OK, looks good.

I'm there!
Eh, you'll be fine I've been watching the new stuff.
Andy in Pa. said:
My junk is not "go-fast" approved... UCA and trackbar are a little too close on my front end and have a habit of "meeting" when I play go-fast games...
You've got a day more than two weeks! :D

[hijack]

I'd be interested for sure...though (and Bill would agree) my suspension is like a marshmellow so "go-fast" for me is nowhere near as fast as some others can probably go.

Also, not sure if there would be rulings like needing a cage, harnesses, etc. etc.?

[/hijack]

Last edited:
Looks great, been following since the beginning. I'm looking back at your front suspension numbers.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm thinking of doing a three link, what was your deciding factor between 3 and 4 link?

Looks great, been following since the beginning. I'm looking back at your front suspension numbers.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm thinking of doing a three link, what was your deciding factor between 3 and 4 link?
Thanks. I'm surprised you can find anything it takes me 5 minutes to find something and it's my own thread. I wish I could edit the first post and add an index.

Simply put, packaging. There really wasn't an easy way to get a link on the driver's side for me with all the other stuff going on under there. Plus a 3 link up front means I buy two less joints. ;)

Out back it was pretty simple as I had an almost clean slate when I was starting so I was able to put the 4 links where I wanted to.

Last edited:
[hijack]

I'd be interested for sure...though (and Bill would agree) my suspension is like a marshmellow so "go-fast" for me is nowhere near as fast as some others can probably go.

Also, not sure if there would be rulings like needing a cage, harnesses, etc. etc.?

[/hijack]

The way it usually works is the park staff blocks off a loop of trail somewhere - typically over in the new property - to prevent wayward wheelers from getting in the way. Then we race around/test/tune for a while. Here's a section of the 'area 51' loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eBcotrZt-M

I've witnessed at least 2 pretty good rollovers so far...enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable sending people at speed around the main loop without at least a good harness. But there are smaller sections that you'd probably be able to run on anyway with less chance of disaster.

At the very least we can compare a few different rigs and get into some discussion on shock/spring tuning - a lot of things can be measured and changed on coilovers in between laps, and ideally everyone's junk will be different enough that we can chart a few different suspension frequencies & shock valving to build a good baseline comparison.

Between Andy and/or myself we'll see about working out some details with the park staff. They're usually pretty flexible (and happy that people ask first about going fast, rather than just ripping around any ol' trail!).

[hijack]

[/hijack]

I'm in this boat :looney:

At the very least we can compare a few different rigs and get into some discussion on shock/spring tuning - a lot of things can be measured and changed on coilovers in between laps, and ideally everyone's junk will be different enough that we can chart a few different suspension frequencies & shock valving to build a good baseline comparison.

Between Andy and/or myself we'll see about working out some details with the park staff. They're usually pretty flexible (and happy that people ask first about going fast, rather than just ripping around any ol' trail!).

I'd be very interested in learning more about this even if I don't get to run my XJ.

Proved the theory that triangulated 4-links require all 4-links to be in place today. :(

UCA frame mount on the pass side wasn't as strong as I thought it'd be. I guess I shouldn't have skipped those when I super reinforced every other mount. Killed my ego pretty good being "that guy". :eek:

I guess on the plus side it happened today and I have a week to improve it.

Last edited:
Proved the theory that triangulated 4-links require all 4-links to be in place today. :(

UCA frame mount on the pass side wasn't as strong as I thought it'd be. I guess I shouldn't have skipped those when I super reinforced every other mount. Killed my ego pretty good being "that guy". :eek:

I guess on the plus side it happened today and I have a week to improve it.

Pictures?

Pictures?
Courtesy of Adam (Dundy):
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh244/reelbigdundy87/UJ Run June 6 2010/

The new mounts will be MUCH stronger. Live and learn. :eek:

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01857.jpg

I have to give props to Nick shown here. He took a faceful of exhaust as I couldn't get out nor shut it off for fear of moving further down the incline I was on. Thanks Bud!
DSC01858.jpg

Trail fix:
DSC01861.jpg

I'd also like to thank the UJ crew for letting us run the private land today.
I will say that even with the breakages I always have a great time out with this group of people.

Back